Understanding Coach-Speak and What Opponents are Telling Us

Interpreting coach-speak and what other teams really think of the Bills...

Reporter:  So how big a challenge is this Bills offense?

McDaniel.  It’s a challenge, for sure.  Allen, of course, is super talented and has given us a lot of problems in the past.  Fortunately for us, he seems a little off his game lately.  And we know he takes chances when he feels the game’s on his shoulders so that’s a weakness we want to exploit.  Of course, the Bills don’t have any real receiving threats outside of Diggs.  And their coordinators this year struggle to scheme guys open.  Just look at Trent Sherfield.  He did a lot of good things for us last year but hasn’t done squat for the Bills.  I think that’s more of a Dorsey-Brady problem than a Sherfield problem.  Their offense is talented but it’s also unimaginative and predictable.   I trust Vic to outcoach Brady.   

I don’t think coaches normally lie in pressers.  But they don’t tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth.  They edit their responses and focus on positive responses while keeping critiques to themselves.  McDaniel might say and believe the highlighted parts but he’ll never tell the press his full, unedited opinion. 

Here’s a real quote from DC Vic Fangio:  “They’re really talented on offense…  Everybody obviously knows about Josh Allen and his ability…”

Here’s a real quote from OC Frank Smith:  “They play very well together.  They’re a very well-connected defense, well-coached…” 

What Smith doesn’t say, “Though their D would be a lot more formidable if their star players at each level – Miller, Milano, and White – were healthy.”  But he’s thinking of it and glad he’s facing a diminished Bills defense. 

And here’s what Fangio doesn’t say, “They play very well together.  They’re a very well-connected offense, well coached…”

And that’s been the trend for a couple years now.  We keep hearing from opponents how well-coached our defense is and how well they play together.  We rarely hear similar comments about our offense.  Instead, we hear compliments about Josh and Diggs.  Teams playing against the Chiefs will talk about Reid’s schemes.  I rarely read compliments of our offensive coaches or scheme.  And I think that speaks volumes.   

• Eyeroll 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Reporter:  So how big a challen

And that’s been the trend for a couple years now.  We keep hearing from opponents how well-coached our defense is and how well they play together.  We rarely hear similar comments about our offense.  Instead, we hear compliments about Josh and Diggs.  Teams playing against the Chiefs will talk about Reid’s schemes.  I rarely read compliments of our offensive coaches or scheme.  And I think that speaks volumes.   

I don't doubt that you are right but it is very difficult for an opposition HC/DC to say the Bills offense is well coached when the Bills HC clearly does not believe so.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

McDaniel.  It’s a challenge, for sure.  Allen, of course, is super talented and has given us a lot of problems in the past.  Fortunately for us, he seems a little off his game lately.  And we know he takes chances when he feels the game’s on his shoulders so that’s a weakness we want to exploit.  Of course, the Bills don’t have any real receiving threats outside of Diggs.  And their coordinators this year struggle to scheme guys open.  Just look at Trent Sherfield.  He did a lot of good things for us last year but hasn’t done squat for the Bills.  I think that’s more of a Dorsey-Brady problem than a Sherfield problem.  Their offense is talented but it’s also unimaginative and predictable.   I trust Vic to outcoach Brady.   

I don’t think coaches normally lie in pressers.  But they don’t tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth.  They edit their responses and focus on positive responses while keeping critiques to themselves.  McDaniel might say and believe the highlighted parts but he’ll never tell the press his full, unedited opinion. 

Here’s a real quote from DC Vic Fangio:  “They’re really talented on offense…  Everybody obviously knows about Josh Allen and his ability…”

Here’s a real quote from OC Frank Smith:  “They play very well together.  They’re a very well-connected defense, well-coached…” 

What Smith doesn’t say, “Though their D would be a lot more formidable if their star players at each level – Miller, Milano, and White – were healthy.”  But he’s thinking of it and glad he’s facing a diminished Bills defense. 

And here’s what Fangio doesn’t say, “They play very well together.  They’re a very well-connected offense, well coached…”

Was this to increase an opening post count?

5 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

If he's counting on a diminished Bills' defense, he's in for a rude awakening.  Daquon is back, Douglas has replaced White and Bernard and Dodson have been playing very well.  He should be more worried about how his offense is diminished with the loss of Waddle, Mostert and their starting center, and with Hill limited.

As for the Bills on offense, Josh always comes to play against Miami.  He averages 3.25 TDs and 0.92 turnovers against them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, aceman_16 said:

Was this to increase an opening post count?

I'm interested in what other teams think about us.  And I think they tell us - in a roundabout way.  The expression damn-with-faint-praise comes to mind when I read what they say about our offense.   

I think opponents truly respect how well coached our defense is and how well they play together and how they don't make many mental errors.

Reading what opponents say about our offense, I get a different picture.  They respect Allen, of course, and some of our other players.  But our scheme doesn't challenge them.  

I have no idea what my opening post count is, nor could I care less.  

17 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm interested in what other teams think about us.  And I think they tell us - in a roundabout way.  The expression damn-with-faint-praise comes to mind when I read what they say about our offense.   

I think opponents truly respect how well coached our defense is and how well they play together and how they don't make many mental errors.

Reading what opponents say about our offense, I get a different picture.  They respect Allen, of course, and some of our other players.  But our scheme doesn't challenge them.  

I have no idea what my opening post count is, nor could I care less.  

I think what you said was interesting though it would have been more effective if you made your point more succinctly.

“Everything that is, isn’t, so I want you to that, but not it. That’s why i said this, but I can’t say that, so it is what it is. This is really that, but not the that that you you think. If you know what I mean.”

- every coach

McDaniel and company are mostly thinking about what the Bills did to them in their first game this season.  Miami had crushed Denver and observers were calling them "unstoppable."  Buffalo not only stopped them, they trampled them.   

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

It must be in the eyes I guess.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.