Need a capable backup quarterback next season.

margolbe

5 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

Trubisky will probably be available for cheap after this season.

Reminder - this thread is about capable backup QBs

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

That said, maybe a Trubisky or a Sam Darnold might make some sense in that 4 million dollar-a-year range. But that money could be the difference in having to cut or retain a guy more important to the team. 

First time I am vehemently disagreeing with you. Trubisky is terrible and wont get us anywhere near a 0.5 record if JA is out. 

11 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Reminder - this thread is about capable backup QBs

First time I am vehemently disagreeing with you. Trubisky is terrible and wont get us anywhere near a 0.5 record if JA is out. 

Oh yeah, I don't think he is good, but they like him and there is a relationship there going back to North Carolina, so I could see them circling back. I'd stick with Kyle because ultimately, I am not sure it matters. 

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Oh yeah, I don't think he is good, but they like him and there is a relationship there going back to North Carolina, so I could see them circling back. I'd stick with Kyle because ultimately, I am not sure it matters. 

We should strive for better and there may be some castaway primary starter that becomes available. Maybe he is only looking for a 1-year deal like Trubisky did but thats fine. I also like the idea of drafting one in Round 4+. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, boater said:

We don't know what we have in Kyle Allen. He has yet to throw a pass in a regular game situation. All he has done in his garbage time snaps is hand off to a rusher, or kneel down.

I do admit to being concerned of having to play him--my memories of his preseason games are pretty frightening. I bet if he threw in a regular season game that it would be a sphincter tightening experience.

The fact that they have not let the man throw a single pass tells me everything I need to know.

A more capable backup to groom and a savy vet would be good mix to have in the QB room with Allen.

On 1/3/2024 at 7:04 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

Keenum won enough to keep them in the mix. He isn’t great either but if his team wins this week they are in. I’m not a Rudolph fan but can’t deny that he has played pretty well. Kyle Allen is a bottom 5-10 backup imo.

I am open to a ton of options and maybe even 2. If you signed someone like Brissett and drafted a guy like Pratt for the PS I’d be good with that (assuming he’d get to the PS which is likely). If Josh is out for a while it is a problem either way. I just hope it isn’t a “season over” type of trouble.

I guess my point with Kyle Allen is, he couldn’t produce the numbers Keenum did across 2 games? His career averages are better than that and he was on some talent depleted teams. 

Brissett is too good to sign with us. He’ll have the opportunity to sign with a team in QB purgatory because he’s good enough to start. It’ll be too hard to get that type of quality backup to sign here, because most want a chance to play. 

On 1/2/2024 at 2:07 PM, mrags said:

Draft one in like rd 4-5 and keep him for the foreseeable future. 

i don't like this at all. 

a. Beane has done great in these rds - Davis, Taron, Shakir , Benford etc

b. Odds are extremely low this QB becomes anything , look at Jake Fromm for example when they tried this

c. We have a ton of FA, can't sign em all

I've felt all year with all the QBs going down, we need a legit vet that can just play competent- Flacco is intriguing , Tyrod , Minshew if he's a fa etc

Edited by JerseyBills

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

i don't like this at all. 

a. Beane has done great in these rds - Davis, Taron, Shakir , Benford etc

b. Odds are extremely low this QB becomes anything , look at Jake Fromm for example when they tried this

c. We have a ton of FA, can't sign em all

I've felt all year with all the QBs going down, we need a legit vet that can just play competent- Flacco is intriguing , Tyrod , Minshew if he's a fa etc

Why? We can just hire Flacco next year if Allen goes down. 

I think teams usually go the other way with this now…maybe the browns prove me wrong this year but if you lose your starting qb it’s nearly impossible to be competitive in the playoffs anyway so most teams save the cap space and get the better draft pick the following year 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.