The Great Chicken Wing Debate .

T master

I have found most places outside WNY simply do not leave wings in the fryer long enough. Just one more minute makes a huge difference. Therefore, I generally eat wings only when I'm back in WNY. There is a pub here in Flat Rock, NC (Campfire Grill) that has good wings. They are smoked and then flash fried. Sauce served on the side. Best I've had here in Carolina. 

7 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Naked is classic. But I think a thin and carefully chosen coating can give you the crunch without the downsides.

And then you get travesties like this "well regarded local place" in my town.

348s.jpg

F'n travesty that is.

Ok, that looks miserable, yet the shameless, low-standard demon inside of me still wants to dig in... I swear, almost any form of chicken, no matter how terribly prepared or beaten up, looks somewhat appetizing to me if it's got traditional Buffalo sauce on it. 

I do not think decent wings need to be dipped in anything (ranch or blue cheese). 

It’s like getting a nicely cooked steak and asking for A1 sauce. 

If I get blue cheese with wings, it’s for the celery. 

• Like (+1) 1

I bake my wings.  Yeah - I said it.

And they turn out great.   Louisiana hot sauce + butter + cayenne + salt & pepper.  Homemade blue cheese is always best, but in a pinch, a top tier brand will always do.

We make fun of ranch, but I truly don't understand it.  It's a distracting flavor - it's not complementary, like blue cheese. There is only one choice there for sure.

And for the sake of pete, no breading.  I like breaded chicken in other forms, but when it comes to wings, it doesn't work.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I've had Thai and Vietnamese wings many times.  The quality/taste depends on the restaurant.  But at their best, they are very, very good.  

Korean and Chinese wings can be really good, too.  

And I once ate at a Brazilian chicken restaurant that specialized in wings.  The wings themselves were crispy but somewhat bland.  But they gave you an assortment of dipping sauces - some of which were great.  

all that is awesome but that’s a different thing all together … we’re setting down the rules for American football wings right here

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I do not think decent wings need to be dipped in anything (ranch or blue cheese). 

It’s like getting a nicely cooked steak and asking for A1 sauce. 

If I get blue cheese with wings, it’s for the celery. 

Bleu is certainly a buffalo staple but yes I can enjoy a great wing without it

Just like I don't need A1 on my ribeye 

24 minutes ago, Success said:

And for the sake of pete, no breading.  I like breaded chicken in other forms, but when it comes to wings, it doesn't work.

Breading no, rice flour yes.  Rice flower can help seal in the flavor without the heaviness of bread.  The rice flower can make wings them crispier.

A Korean neighbor of mine makes Sweet and Spicy Korean Fried Chicken Wing and they are delicious.

https://foodschmooze.org/recipe/sweet-spicy-korean-fried-chicken-wings/

Not exact recipe but close enough.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/20/2023 at 1:35 PM, teef said:

as long as they keep selling 10 wings for $18...i'm not buying them out.  

when i make them, i do it in a pizza oven.  they're rolled in vegetable oil, salt, seasoning (usually garlic chipotle) and cooked on a cast iron plate.  they come out a bit crispy and very tender.  not a great as when they're perfectly fried, but better and easier than when i do them on the grill.

I'm glad you're not calling them Buffalo Wings!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.