• CHI-GB
    • SEA-AZ
    • TB-CAR
    • KC-LAC
    • NYJ-NE
    • No SNF Week 18
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/02/2024 at 05:01 AM

The final game of the season on SNF in Week 18 is called "Game 272" (17 weeks x 16 games/per week = 272).  There are also two unknown Saturday games that week on ABC/ESPN.

This final game is reserved for games having playoff implications and national interest and ratings. The NFL tries not to give any team an advantage by scheduling this final game, but that isn't guaranteed, like last year when Detroit played at Green Bay. By virtue of Seattle's win earlier, Detroit was eliminated and had no reason to be motivated against Green Bay. But the NFL scheduled the game anyway, and, lo and behold, Detroit won, this eliminating Green Bay.

Below are all the games for 2023 Week 18. Remember, one will be chosen for SNF and two will go to Saturday, all on six days' notice. I have commented which ones I think have a chance for Game 272.

Green means very much in contention.

Yellow means maybe, but less likely.

Red means no way, or highly unlikely at best.

CBS:

PIT @ BAL - possibly, if WC or no. 1 seed implications
CLE @ CIN - WC win or go home
HOU @ IND - WC win or go home
BUF @ MIA - if it's for the division

NYJ @ NE
JAX @ TN
KC @ LAC
DEN @ LV - possibly, if it's for a WC, but not really because Las Vegas still sucks, despite winning big over the Chargers.

FOX:

TB @ CAR
MIN @ DET - if it's for the division
CHI @ GB
ATL @ NO - possibly, if it's for the division, but both teams suck, so not really
PHI @ NYG   maybe if implications for the NFC no. 1 seed
SEA @ AZ
LAR @ SF - maybe if implications for the NFC no. 1 seed
DAL @ WSH - maybe if implications for the NFC no. 1 seed

As for the Saturday games, that screams ATL-NO if it's for the division, just like TN-JAX last year. Good game, but not good enough for SNF.

TRIVIA:

Game 272 used to be called "Game 254" when there were only 16 games in a season.

Last year, of course, there were only 271 games.

In 2017, the NFL deemed no game compelling enough, so there was no SNF for the final week, Week 17. Sucked for NBC.

Edited by chongli

What ever team plays SNF will had a disadvantage since they will have short week to prepare for next unless they are #1 seed.  If they have #1 wrapped up it will be a preseason game for that team.

No ABC games?

I believe each primary network can protect one game.  BUF @ MIA seems most appealing to CBS I think and MIN @ DET seems most appealing to FOX even though not one of top three teams in NFC.

I see one of the remaining match ups on SNF.

BUF @ MIA - if it's for the division

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

What ever team plays SNF will had a disadvantage since they will have short week to prepare for next unless they are #1 seed.  If they have #1 wrapped up it will be a preseason game for that team.

No ABC games?

I believe each primary network can protect one game.  BUF @ MIA seems most appealing to CBS I think and MIN @ DET seems most appealing to FOX even though not one of top three teams in NFC.

There is a chance the SNF team could play on Monday the following week in the final WC game. The ABC games are on that Saturday, TBD. Networks can't protect a game in Week 18.

Super WC Weekend schedule is this (despite what ESPN says on its website):

Saturday afternoon: NBC

Saturday primetime: Peacock

Sunday early: TBD (FOX or CBS)

Sunday late: TBD (FOX or CBS)

Sunday primetime: NBC

Monday primetime: ESPN/ABC

Edited by chongli

I think it’s a near lock to be Bills-Dolphins.  

That game may not only be for the division but possibly win or go home.  

I do expect Miami to beat Dallas then lose to Baltimore.  

We SHOULD take care of business but this team on the road v lesser competition…..should beat the Chargers.  

If Miami wins the next 2 games then no, it will likely be another game.

Man that loss to the Titans could have worked in our favor or long run hurt us.  Miami if it won out would have the 1 seed locked up.  

• Like (+1) 1

I believe we are on a collision course with Miami. Our schedule looks more win-outable than Miami’s. Pretty sure we just beat the toughest opponent on our schedule. Miami doesn’t beat good teams, they just beat up on bad ones. Baltimore is a very good team and, as long as they are playing their starters, Miami will lose this game. If they do and we in out, I’m pretty sure that puts that game a game for the division. And possibly a high flying game at that, possibly, because as you all know we shut them down last time when we had all of starters. Now the defense has come back around with what might be all of our next year starters ready to shut them down again.

• Like (+1) 1

Obviously, we have a bias here, but if the division is on the line, it's a contender for the spot.  Plus, the league likes to promote it stars.  Allen, Diggs, Tua, Hill (assuming he's back), etc. makes for great TV.  And maybe the Bills ruin all the fun, like yesterday, running the ball down their throats, not even needing to throw the ball, and shutting down their offense completely.

• Like (+1) 1

Speaking of Miami, this was posted today:

Currently, for Week 17, Miami is at Baltimore Sunday early on CBS. The current SNF is Minnesota at Green Bay. Nothing has to be decided until next Monday, but hmmmm....

------

EDIT: Ok, who is the joker who voted for NYJ-NE is the poll?!?!? 😉

Edited by chongli

15 hours ago, Limeaid said:

No ABC games?

I think this is the biggest thing. While the Bills and Dolphins game may be the best game of the year at that point, you cannot take out the possibility of win and in scenarios. They are drama filled gold for the NFL. It’ll all come down to next few weeks to see what they do with it. But I think win and in  or go home wins out 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.