Tom and Jerry Season

BillsPride12

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Schwabl's serves them.

Wife & MiL had one there a few weeks back @ Thanksgiving time.

Tons of places in Buffalo serve them.  The funny thing is it seems to only be a thing in the city of Buffalo. I've never seen any establishment in the suburbs of Buffalo serve them

13 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Tons of places in Buffalo serve them.  The funny thing is it seems to only be a thing in the city of Buffalo. I've never seen any establishment in the suburbs of Buffalo serve them

Schwabl's is in W.Seneca & has existed since 1837. 

I am not big on cocktails... But wife and MiL like brandy Alexander... I guess sorta along those lines? Served warm.

The cartoon probably got its name from the drink... So it's not just a BFLo thing.  It's an old English, Christmas season libation. 

• Like (+1) 1

My Godmother used to make them on Christmas morning. Dad and I would drop off presents at a few houses and then stop at my Godparents' place. Harry (my Godfather) and Dad would drink T&Js I'd get eggnog. By the time we left, Dad had a nice Christmas glow. Their house was just a couple of blocks from ours, and there's a good reason it was the last stop.

Starting around age 16 or so, my Godmother would "warm up" my eggnog with a shot. Eventually, I graduated to the full Tom & Jerry.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Augie said:

I have never heard of such a thing, in the Buffalo suburbs or anywhere else. But I left WNY when I was 17, so maybe that’s part of it? 🤷‍♂️

The drink has been around since 1821.  Came from London, England.  Anyway, a 100 years later, it was Warren G. Harding's favorite drink.  It's probably what wiped Harding out when he died in office in 1923:

"...The press was told Harding had experienced an "acute gastrointestinal attack" and his scheduled weekend in Portland was cancelled.   ..."

You must have left WNY before that.  You said you were 17? What are you now? 222 years old?😆🤣😂

Can you confirm Augie's age for us @mead107

😉😜

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Augie said:

I have never heard of such a thing, in the Buffalo suburbs or anywhere else. But I left WNY when I was 17, so maybe that’s part of it? 🤷‍♂️

They've been around for awhile.  The Place in Buffalo has been serving them since the 1940's but like a lot of things the popularity seems to have really evolved over the years.  I would say even just within the last 5 or so years I have noticed a big jump in attention they get during the Holiday season....newspaper articles, segments on the local news channels, articles on social media etc...

Ironically I actually stopped at the Place and had one last night.  Had no clue that was the plan when I made this post yesterday but hung out with Family last night checking out the Christmas Markets in Buffalo and somebody suggested going and grabbing a T&J afterwards.  It's not Christmas season in Buffalo until you've had ☺️

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The drink has been around since 1821.  Came from London, England.  Anyway, a 100 years later, it was Warren G. Harding's favorite drink.  It's probably what wiped Harding out when he died in office in 1923:

"...The press was told Harding had experienced an "acute gastrointestinal attack" and his scheduled weekend in Portland was cancelled.   ..."

You must have left WNY before that.  You said you were 17? What are you now? 222 years old?😆🤣😂

Can you confirm Augie's age for us @mead107

😉😜

The 'Tom and Jerry' is reputed by some as the drink of choice by chilled lake freighter crews, as they sail the 'iron boats' to their layup ports in Spain...🤨

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.