Jobs

Initial filings for unemployment benefits in New York rose last week compared with the week prior, the U.S. Department of Labor said Thursday.

New jobless claims, a proxy for layoffs, increased to 20,734 in the week ending January 27, up from 16,418 the week before, the Labor Department said.

U.S. unemployment claims rose to 224,000 last week, up 9,000 claims from 215,000 the week prior on a seasonally adjusted basis.

Oregon saw the largest percentage increase in weekly claims, with claims jumping by 84.9%. South Dakota, meanwhile, saw the largest percentage drop in new claims, with claims dropping by 40.3%.

On 12/8/2023 at 6:42 PM, SectionC3 said:

Lots created under the Biden administration.  Market is going up.  Inflation forecasts going down.  Looks pretty good to me.  So good that MAGA has yet to come up with a marginally believable hoax as to why it’s bad. 

When your entire economic/job out look is based on the jobs that were lost or shut down during the pandemic coming back from being shut down (which would be normal occurrence) then you include the new jobs that American innovators were thinking of starting before the pandemic and would have despite the path in the country during the pandemic .

Even a 5th grader would know that Joe would use that as a good thing to pin his name to when it's a natural occurrence because Americans just don't quit and the come back was inevitable no matter who was in office ! 

It's sure not because of Joes brilliance at his position !

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, JDHillFan said:

January jobs revised down from 350,000 to 229,000. 

boom

Yup, there was a downward revision of 124K from the January 353K to 229K.  If you believe these numbers are "real" chalk up that revision to seasonality factors.  Although that doesn't explain why the seasonality wasn't reflected in the original numbers or what "more" seasonality factored into the revision.

Otherwise, does anybody actually believe the government has the competency and capability to "count" all the new jobs created in the previous month before the 1st Friday of the next month?  They don't.  The number is an output of a model.

For February the new jobs number was 275K.  Areas with gains:

Healthcare services

Government

Food Services

Bars and Restuarants

Social Assistance Services

Transportation

Warehousing

Unemployment rate jumped to 3.9%.  This unexpected big move higher seems to be what markets have initially focused on this morning.

On 12/8/2023 at 6:42 PM, SectionC3 said:

Lots created under the Biden administration.  Market is going up.  Inflation forecasts going down.  Looks pretty good to me.  So good that MAGA has yet to come up with a marginally believable hoax as to why it’s bad. 

Well when you factor in all of the businesses that shut down or those that tried to stay open during the pandemic & couldn't because they didn't have the influx or savings of cash to stay open 1 would think that some of the job growth is in part to do with some of those prior businesses coming back .

I know that before the pandemic hit & the so called "Experts" said we needed to shut down the country basically, in 2019 i had made more money than i had ever made & also talked to business owners that had said the same .

So it just makes sense that some businesses saw what was coming & shut down rather than fight to stay openly to spend a bunch of cash by trying to sty a float saving some of their profits they made if they were smart only to possibly try to start up again after things got back to what ever todays normal is .

So are these new jobs because of Joe or were these there prior & are those businesses that were here & played it smart by closing and foreseeing what was coming ? Just a thought .

Oh and i just got back from the grocery store and for 4 very small bags of groceries i spent $76, my Electric bill last month was $223 almost double what is was this time last year, My car ins & home owners both went up, and so has most anything i have bought at Lowes as far as building materials, not to mention a 4x4 1/2 ton truck now costs upwards of $80k & housing prices are absolutely ridiculous so the inflation forecast may be going down but prices not so much - but nice try .

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillStime said:

Trump agrees:

image.thumb.jpeg.5df9ac406acd084b662a5e8d4bf6f6b6.jpeg

I don't necessarily agree with the "Democratic prosperity" thing.

But I do agree with the point about globalization and the new era of free trade that began in earnest in the 1980s: it has made the world so much more prosperous than it otherwise would have been. Has globalization been free of problems? Of course not. But on balance, it is the shining accomplishment of the last half century, not something to be decried as it is today by all the ignorant Trumpists.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Trump agrees:

image.thumb.jpeg.5df9ac406acd084b662a5e8d4bf6f6b6.jpeg

Since 1989 the purchasing power of the US dollar has fallen almost 60% and economist calculate $2.49 of income today buys what $1.00 of income did in 1989.  So its not all hearts and flowers under democrats either.

19 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Since 1989 the purchasing power of the US dollar has fallen almost 60% and economist calculate $2.49 of income today buys what $1.00 of income did in 1989.  So its not all hearts and flowers under democrats either.

I'm old enough to  remember when 800 bucks would get you cutting edge technology.

2 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

A pattern maybe?

It seems we have a recurring issue, eh?  Think we can get the racists at End Wokeness to do the same analysis during Trump's tenure?

Ouch:

Hey @BillsFanNC - a pattern maybe?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillStime said:

It seems we have a recurring issue, eh?  Think we can get the racists at End Wokeness to do the same analysis during Trump's tenure?

Ouch:

Hey @BillsFanNC - a pattern maybe?

Nice work!

BIDENOMICS IS WORKING: 

US salaries are falling. Employers say compensation is just ‘resetting.’

The tightening labour market has left US workers with fewer options than just years earlier. Beginning 2020, employers boosted salaries to new heights to attract talent to a deluge of open roles. But amid an uncertain economy, employers have pulled back from new hires and cut jobs.

“There is now less competition to hire workers – and therefore less need to boost wages,” says Nick Bunker, US-based director of North American Economic Research at Indeed. “Job postings have dropped quite a bit, while the supply of workers has grown.”

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20240306-slowing-us-wage-growth-lower-salaries

5 minutes ago, B-Man said:

BIDENOMICS IS WORKING: 

US salaries are falling. Employers say compensation is just ‘resetting.’

The tightening labour market has left US workers with fewer options than just years earlier. Beginning 2020, employers boosted salaries to new heights to attract talent to a deluge of open roles. But amid an uncertain economy, employers have pulled back from new hires and cut jobs.

“There is now less competition to hire workers – and therefore less need to boost wages,” says Nick Bunker, US-based director of North American Economic Research at Indeed. “Job postings have dropped quite a bit, while the supply of workers has grown.”

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20240306-slowing-us-wage-growth-lower-salaries

So you're telling me that that mythical $20 Taco Bell lunch may get a bit cheaper?

It's almost as if inflation is no longer a problem!

• Haha (+1) 1