Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

Meh. Tyler Dunne doesn't matter.

Except now 120 pages about him. Interesting way to just let him fade into oblivion. And frankly I don't give a rat's ass about whatever he does with his life. I think most of us would have been satisfied with a 1-part article about the ways McDermott is wasting Allen's career, and leave out the rest.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, pocoboy said:

Except now 120 pages about him. Interesting way to just let him fade into oblivion. And frankly I don't give a rat's ass about whatever he does with his life. I think most of us would have been satisfied with a 1-part article about the ways McDermott is wasting Allen's career, and leave out the rest.

No such thing as too much Tyler Dunne bashing.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. :)

• Agree 1

On 12/14/2023 at 2:05 PM, Beck Water said:

Some of the incidents discussed in the article are clearly from 2020 (the WR Christmas gift of a truck to Chad Hall and McDermott's reaction to that gift) or 2021 (13 seconds).  These were described up thread.

There were on the record quotes positive to McDermott from several players including Lee Smith, Pat DiMarco, Isaiah McKenzie, and a couple others - this was described up thread.  So there were positive points of view presented.

What there didn't seem to be in the excerpts that have been made available, is the direct juxtaposition of opposing interpretations or viewpoints on the same incidents which anonymous sources blasted.

Example: 'According to a Bills assistant, McDermott would express his frustrations about Newton [ruining Carolina] in offensive staff meetings, creating an uncomfortable atmosphere, especially for Ken Dorsey, Newton's former coach and the man credited with his rise.'   Put that way, it kind of makes McDermott sound 'stuck in the past' or even unhinged (why TF is he ranting about Newton and Carolina now, with the Bills?), and certainly insensitive to the feelings of former Carolina coaches who developed Newton. 

But maybe there's some missing context or a missing alternate POV?  Maybe McDermott's point was that Cam Newton, as the Franchise QB in whom CAR invested a 5 year, $104M contract (huge for that time), was reckless of his body in his play (like Allen is now) and when injuries accumulated, Newton put CAR in the tank because they were paying a guy who could no longer perform up to his contract.  If that's the case, it can be argued McDermott could have a point, especially if he's using it to illustrate why 1) he wants a plan to run the ball that doesn't involve Allen as the primary RB 2) wants Allen coached harder to give himself up, get out of bounds, or slide when he runs. [to be clear, the above is my speculation]

That's the kind of direct juxtaposition of different interpretations that seemed to be missing from the excerpts presented. 

But there were positive quotes, some have been shared here.

Thanks for setting me straight on this.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Ty Dunne: the real MVP this season for the Bills.

The team rallied around McDermott bigtime after this piece came out!

Haha I was looking for this post and I think he attacked at a weak point and that wasn’t gonna take this coach and team down 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.