I Got It - Why We Aren’t as Good as Them

Thrivefourfive

1 hour ago, LarryMadman said:

Yup, this teams problem is coaching, too many receipts of bad coaching to ignore and blame something else.

Fix the coaching and the problems get fixed........hmmmmm........kind of like the offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, not so much as there is still a common denominator.

Just this year needed to turn around 1 game where the coaching failed them.  Let's choose the simplest 12 men.  How is not McD and the coaching 100% to blame!!!!!  The Bills are 7-5 and some wiggle room. 

Now others will say 50/50 hindsight at the plethora of other examples, but again, do one thing right.  There, I'll go for more low-hanging fruit....  Don't let Mac Jones drive 75 yards for a TD.

8-4 and battling for the #1 seed.

Name me one good call McD made this year that was the difference between a win and a loss?   

Edited by Billsfan1972

10 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Complete nonsense.

The Bills don't have a great record because they had an incompetent offensive coordinator who didn't know even the basics of preparing an offense or game plan.  THAT is definitely on McDermott and Bean--a series of specific questions in the interview process would have eliminated Dorsey immediately, as he was simply ignorant of so many aspects of the job he was just given. And, yes, once this became apparent, obvious, it took much much too long for them to cut their losses--hence, the losses..

But doesn't the Bills dramatic, over night turn around to one of the best, most productive offenses in the NFL IMMEDIATELY after Brady took over help you to understand this fact? 

Josh Allen's comment, with the first game of the new season not even finished yet, that he was "f*****g back", should have opened your eyes, but apparently it did not.  The problem in Buffalo was not a lack of talent, though of course more and better are always needed going forward to stay relevant.

The Bills became a balanced, creative, dynamic and extremely productive offense in less than a week after Dorsey was fired, showing plenty of talent, enough to compete with anyone in this league.  That turn around was not a coincidence.

I 100% agree that Brady is a revelation and we would probably be coasting into the playoffs if Dorsey was fired after the Giants game.

BUT even with our offense performing very well against the Eagles, and Allen having one of the best performances of his career, that still wasn't enough for our head coach and our talent to beat a true championship contender. We even caught them napping in the 1st half so the circumstances in that game were about as favorable as possible for us, and that still wasn't enough.

So have we just accepted that under this regime the best we can do is lose a close game to a championship contender? We now have the great OC (at least based on early returns). If that doesn't get us over the hump, changes have to come elsewhere.

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I 100% agree that Brady is a revelation and we would probably be coasting into the playoffs if Dorsey was fired after the Giants game.

BUT even with our offense performing very well against the Eagles, and Allen having one of the best performances of his career, that still wasn't enough for our head coach and our talent to beat a true championship contender. We even caught them napping in the 1st half so the circumstances in that game were about as favorable as possible for us, and that still wasn't enough.

So have we just accepted that under this regime the best we can do is lose a close game to a championship contender? We now have the great OC (at least based on early returns). If that doesn't get us over the hump, changes have to come elsewhere.

I think this entire season was thrown for a loop because of the Dorsey factor.  I feel that the Bills would likely be at the top of the AFC standings, despite their injuries if Dorsey was not part of this team this year.

The Bills, all teams, will lose games.  A game like the Eagles may have been one of those games. But this was an offense that was not allowed to properly develop this year, in no way is hitting on all cylinders, despite playing very well since the firing.  For example, just look at one aspect of the offense, his negligent use of the running backs both in the run and pass game.  The running backs catching many passes!?  It was one of many things not happening until Brady.  How much sharper would the backs be in the passing game if they had been doing this since last year, and not over night?  Would Cook be more experienced catching balls? Of course he would have been.  And maybe he catches that ball early in the game.  Etcetera etcetera.

Sooo difficult to evaluate things because of the gross incompetence. The fish rots from the head and everything was not as it really was, as it could have been.

Too bad, as with a weak AFC I think the Bills would have roller skated into the playoffs--and likely with the #1 seed.

Now, it is a very tough road, with no room for error, another huge obstacle created by Dorsey. The Bills should sue him for malpractice. In my view they will have a slew of very high level offensive performances still to come this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

I mostly agree. I don’t see us beating JAX or Cincy in the McD era. They just have him totally figured out. But that could all change if we fire him!

Last season felt like the game had passed McD by similar to Rex Ryan’s defense. McD coaches like a 75 year old man on his way out.

ill add that OC’s are rarely, if ever, the sole reason a team is losing games. It’s just an excuse fans use when things aren’t going well. Fire the OC!

We’re 6-6 and we only beat the Jets. There’s no proof that were any better after firing Dorsey. We still stink. We’re still losing games. If we lose this week, everyone’s new impression on the OC does a 180.

Can anyone name 3 teams in the last 50 years that struggled early, fired their OC, and went on to win a SB?

Edited by Governor

On 12/5/2023 at 7:46 AM, Solomon Grundy said:

The problem is that if Dorsey had better talent on offense, he'd probably still be employed. Better talent on offense probably would have won the Jets/Broncos/Patriots games. Dorsey's problem was that he couldn't do more with less. 

Really/

umm, why did they look dramatically better on offense just five days later?

And then continued to be a dramatically more consistent,  productive and dangerous offense over the last few weeks, while looking dead in the water before that?

Why do they look so much more talented now, with the same talent, if you are correct?

On 12/5/2023 at 1:45 AM, Thrivefourfive said:

The Bills haven’t gotten over the hump because they don’t have the compliment of good/great players at the skilled positions. PERIOD.

The Most successful team, KC, has superstar/superstar, ex superstar (Hill), good backs and wr depth. Sick of talking about them, but they haven’t replaced Hill yet and now it’s really showing. They did the complete obvious with Kelce two years ago and for some reason the league just never caught up and it was too late by the time the Chiefs were holding the Lombardi. Genius.

Cincinnati. Great quarterback, superstar WR, great WR, good WR, B+ three down runningback, always effective RB depth. These players CARRY this team. No other position group on this team is special, except their kicker.

Jacksonville. Same thing as Cincy, Except they are soooo fast. RB is A great and three down, I don’t think Lawrence has completely adjusted to Ridley’s speed yet, and that’s why there have been struggles. But Calvin Ridley is a different looking speed beast. Kirk and Jones are a pretty good 2/3 as a combo. And Engram is looking mighty big and athletic. This offense is ridiculous. And I just love Peterson. He is always calling good games, and seems super into the game, invested in outcomes, and hyper focused. JA41 is a star now. 

Dolphins. Jesus Christ. It really is a track meet out there. Good QB / superstar WR / great WR / soon to be superstar RB, significant RB depth. Play calling off the charts. 

These are the AFC teams that are better than the Bills, and the player personal why. They all have practically identical defensive talent, with the except for your Chris Jones guys, an emerging JA41. The NFC has the best defenses at the top by far. 

The Chargers should be there with their skilled players (because THATS WHAT WINS IN THIS LEAGUE), but they are the Super Chargers.

Of course, Baltimore. Their offense are a gadget team with unique players that move in weird ways, and they always have a bruiser back running downhill. Andrews deserves a mention. Baltimores backbone is defense and equally special teams. They are always good and great year after year. 

Now the Bills. The only team they are above at skilled positions is the Ravens. This is why we feel good about beating the Ravens, and predictably unsure against any of the other teams in the playoffs.

The best Bills team of this run was 2021, and everybody just assumes that the alter story after we win 13 seconds is jumping right to the forecast that we match up well against the Rams…! I love the positive mindset but we cannot just chalk up an auto-win @ the Bengals in the make believe 2021 AFCCG. That’s just silly. After that win at Arrowhead, the Chiefs were spent, and they got to play at home. Logic would suggest the Bills would be more spent if they’d won 13 seconds.

So my point is, I think, the Bills are never going to beat these teams in the playoffs. Period. That is all. Unless they upgrade WR2, WR4, RB1/2/3, TE2..the guy is never healthy. 

Good to great skilled positions can work with C+ graded offensive lines (which any serious contender considers the floor), and a defense that can play good defense.. not great or anything, just top half of the league, with no glaring weaknesses, like a C grade position group. 

Since the Bills can actually fill in a roster of C+ or better position groups team wide, and have flashed special teams hahaha,  they must upgrade the skilled positions to B+/great/superstar. Only way they will win it all in the JA17 era. 

James Cook is equal to their best Back. Kelce and Diggs are a wash in my opinion. Josh and Mahomes are a wash or pretty close.

Who else do they have Offensively that has them having more firepower than us? I see it as at least dead even, honestly. If not us having the advantage with Kincaid and Knox with similar roleplayers elsewhere.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

James Cook is equal to their best Back. Kelce and Diggs are a wash in my opinion. Josh and Mahomes are a wash or pretty close.

Who else do they have Offensively that has them having more firepower than us? I see it as at least dead even, honestly. If not us having the advantage with Kincaid and Knox with similar roleplayers elsewhere.

Kansas City has a better quarterback and better WR (TE). Value for value, Kelce is so much higher than Diggs. Kelce is the best TE, and Diggs is just a top ten WR. If we put together Diggs and Kincaid, then that’s a better combo than Kelce and whoever the Chiefs think is their WR1.

I like Cook, and I think he’s slightly better than Pacheco overall. CEH is pointless, but McKinnon is better than our RB2->

I think the Bills have been and still are a tick below the Chiefs skilled player for skilled player. Just my opinion. Even though the Chiefs have been bad on offense since November.

The Chiefs just have leaps and bounds better coaching. In a vacuum, Diggs and Kelce might be even, but on their respective teams, Kelce is used to the max, and the Bills barely know how to get Diggs going outside of a stop, an out, or a screen route. 

3 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Really/

umm, why did they look dramatically better on offense just five days later?

And then continued to be a dramatically more consistent,  productive and dangerous offense over the last few weeks, while looking dead in the water before that?

Why do they look so much more talented now, with the same talent, if you are correct?

I'm saying that Brady is able to do more with less. Dorsey couldn't

It's awful funny how the Bills usually shut down Hill when they play the Fins, then how many players were the Bills down last year in the game against the Begals ? 

This team if they play to their capabilities of the talent they have they can beat any one of these teams it's just playing a full game . At the beginning f the season we saw them play to that potential and of late have been playing closer to that but haven't been consistent enough putting it together this season .

The O line is playing better this year & the RB room is much better that should be pretty apparent WR is one they are trying to get figured out which if they could have gotten a player like D Hop that would have helped immensely but the players they have are capable they just come up short .

Even team has things they can do better hell the Titans beat the Fins so that proves your ultimate team players can still be beat by a team that may not be as good as you say they are and pretty much any given sunday they can lose as long as certain things go your way ...

On 12/5/2023 at 11:11 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

Just this year needed to turn around 1 game where the coaching failed them.  Let's choose the simplest 12 men.  How is not McD and the coaching 100% to blame!!!!!  The Bills are 7-5 and some wiggle room. 

Now others will say 50/50 hindsight at the plethora of other examples, but again, do one thing right.  There, I'll go for more low-hanging fruit....  Don't let Mac Jones drive 75 yards for a TD.

8-4 and battling for the #1 seed.

Name me one good call McD made this year that was the difference between a win and a loss?   

I wouldn't argue against the idea that McD is underperforming this year.

But trying to reduce coaching to one call is silly.  Over McD's tenure with the Bills, we've won a lot of games because of the teamwork, culture, and coaching staff he's built.  And let's not forget The Process - his methodical way of preparing for games.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.