Exiled in Illinois stop up the toilet???

Wacka

Just read about a massive sewer main collapse  in Chicago. Sewage backing up in hundreds of homes and businesses.  City govt trying to keep it quiet.  Did he stop up the lock??😀

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Wacka said:

Just read about a massive sewer main collapse  in Chicago. Sewage backing up in hundreds of homes and businesses.  City govt trying to keep it quiet.  Did he stop up the lock??😀

This is not that uncommon in Chicago, they have not spent the proper money to maintain the sewer system. In Chicago there is a special rider on most home insurance policies that offers $5000 in payment when this happens to your home. It happens quite often due to negligence but insurance has to pay for a little of it because the damage there is often 10k+ simply for the mitigation of sewage cleanup.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Wacka said:

Link?  I can't find anything that's under a few years old?

Kinda a antiquated system in Chicago. Many have stand-pipe systems. Not sure if things are even separated between sanitary and storm systems in many residences?  Many don't even have water meters, they just get estimated like in the old days.

Anyway, we're moving traffic... Which means we are moving water:

https://ndc.ops.usace.army.mil/ords/f?p=108:3::::::

[parameters: Illinois WaterWay/TJO'Brien]

...So is Chicago Harbor (Downtown Navy Pier Lock):

https://ndc.ops.usace.army.mil/ords/f?p=108:3::::::

[parameters: Chicago River/Chicago Lock]

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Not enough flushes just ask Donald Trump

We count our empties every night @ midnight and those get added to water budget... Not enough flushes to dilute that Trump mess. Every dump of the lock chamber is ~3 +/- million gallons of Lake Michigan water... By the time they take a drink in New Orleans, Donald Trump has passed through 3 people! 😆🤣 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Vomit 1
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We count our empties every night @ midnight and those get added to water budget... Not enough flushes to dilute that Trump mess. Every dump of the lock chamber is ~3 +/- million gallons of Lake Michigan water... By the time they take a drink in New Orleans, Donald Trump has passed through 3 people! 😆🤣 

Yes, the history of the city of Chicago was free of corruption, poor decision making, bureaucratic incompetence, organized crime and before 2015.  A true shiny beacon on the hill, reverting to the norm post-2020.  😂

• Haha (+1) 4

They sold the water from Chicago to China for 100 years.

To pay for a Green City (Handouts to donors)

Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

https://financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/chicagos-1-billion-water-deal-shows-great-lakes-wealth

Chicago sold Lake Michigan water to Joliet for $1 billion (usatoday.com)

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Yes, the history of the city of Chicago was free of corruption, poor decision making, bureaucratic incompetence, organized crime and before 2015.  A true shiny beacon on the hill, reverting to the norm post-2020.  😂

One of the very richest cities in the world 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

One of the very richest cities in the world 

Corruption and grift are always profitable for some, not so much for the many.  But, if your contention is that Chicago’s past is squeaky clean, you’re beyond help.

Btw Chicago is rich in the $538 million budget shortfall in 2024 sorta way.   

8 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Corruption and grift are always profitable for some, not so much for the many.  But, if your contention is that Chicago’s past is squeaky clean, you’re beyond help.

Ah, putting words in my mouth there, huh? 

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Before then it was cholera.  😆 

Maybe that's what Wacka meant? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Callahan said:

They sold the water from Chicago to China for 100 years.

To pay for a Green City (Handouts to donors)

Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

https://financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/chicagos-1-billion-water-deal-shows-great-lakes-wealth

Chicago sold Lake Michigan water to Joliet for $1 billion (usatoday.com)

Stop falling for FakeNews.  People on the right side of aisle fall for FakeNews 10x more than those on left. 😉 

The Chicago Diversion hasn't lowered the Lake Michigan/Huron 2.5"...😆 

Dirty little secret (look it up)...  Ah, heck, I will do your homework for you!  Ontario, Canada🇨🇦 puts in 25% more than Chicago takes out with Canada's diversion INTO L.Superior FROM the Arctic @ Long Lac and Ogoki diversions since the 1930s and 40s.

https://www.ijc.org/en/lsbc/watershed/great-lakes-diversions

It's the dredging at St.Clair River that lets way more water escape @ Huron (Port Huron, MI/Sarnia, ON).  See that wee little red bar... That's the ChicagoDiversion:

MichiganHuronInflowsOutflows.thumb.jpg.a7abedb481eda2c314a0fa62f9800af8.jpg

St.Mary's River is the outflow from L.Superior @ The Soo:

LakeSuperiorInflowsOutflows.thumb.jpg.2c9479694596bfc6ab64c32bbbfee304.jpg

Now... Compare the inflow @ Long Lac/Ogoki (LLO)... The first blue bar directly above to the middle red bar in the top graph... That's 25% more into L.Superior, and subsequently L.Michiga/Huron out at Chicago.

I know you guys on right are a little bit slow... But you see the big culprit here?  It's the water out at St.Clair, Detroit AND evaporation. Evaporation is almost 25 times more than what Chicago takes out.  55x more @ Detroit.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Thats a silly strawman.

I just mentioned that moronic mayor sold off water for funds to an industry that doesn't exist and has almost no organic demand.

Nothing about water levels or whatever you ran with.

you shouldn't even attempt to talk about others being slow.  you can't even stay on topic.

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Link?  I can't find anything that's under a few years old?

Where I saw it has people that occasionally post old stuff-don't read the date. Could be that. Will check to see if it is still available.  I saw it, and it mentioned a flood and Chicago,so I thought of joshing you, oh mover of waters!

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Thats a silly strawman.

I just mentioned that moronic mayor sold off water for funds to an industry that doesn't exist and has almost no organic demand.

Nothing about water levels or whatever you ran with.

you shouldn't even attempt to talk about others being slow.  you can't even stay on topic.

Your links talked about how the ChicagoDiversion lowered L.Michigan/Huron by 2.5". That's utter BS, hubris. It's not a strawman... Chicago can sell way more and NOT cause any damage to the L.Michigan/Huron elevation.

2 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Where I saw it has people that occasionally post old stuff-don't read the date. Could be that. Will check to see if it is still available.  I saw it, and it mentioned a flood and Chicago,so I thought of joshing you, oh mover of waters!

Ha! I figured....No worries. Good conversation to set a lot of the record straight on actually what happens and the ecological impact at the ChicagoDiversion!

Chicago is in catbird seat when it comes to water.

I remember hearing/reading that ALL the Great Lakes are getting shallower because of the rebounding of the rock  after being compressed under the weight of the glaciers during the ice age.It showed where you can see the shore of Lae Huron has risen in the last 00 yeats.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wacka said:

I remember hearing/reading that ALL the Great Lakes are getting shallower because of the rebounding of the rock  after being compressed under the weight of the glaciers during the ice age.It showed where you can see the shore of Lae Huron has risen in the last 00 yeats.

Yeah....Especially Toronto is rebounding. 

A good analogy of Toronto is to think of it,  with it's ravines, as SanFran turned inside out.

BUT... After about 14 years of low water on L.Michigan/Huron... In 2014 high cycle hit after that cold winter. Peaked around 2019. Record high! Now it's going back down.

I started with Corps in 1990, here 1992. It was coming off a high cycle then....With a brief spike in 1997, then bottom fell out from 2000 to 2014...

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Ah, putting words in my mouth there, huh? 

I’m confident in my ability, but I don’t believe I could dumb things down enough to put words in your mouth and make it sound authentic. 

Question for you on one of the richest cities in the world….when the budget shortfall went from $122 million to $558 million, was Chicago more rich or less rich?  Tibs math it for me. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I’m confident in my ability, but I don’t believe I could dumb things down enough to put words in your mouth and make it sound authentic. 

Question for you on one of the richest cities in the world….when the budget shortfall went from $122 million to $558 million, was Chicago more rich or less rich?  Tibs math it for me. 

You are so simple. Is the budget the only factor in determining the wealth of a city? 

No, of course not. This is not my math, mine would include many other factors 

• Eyeroll 1

24 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You are so simple. Is the budget the only factor in determining the wealth of a city? 

No, of course not. This is not my math, mine would include many other factors 

Ah, you may be including the unfunded pension liabilities of the city in Tibsy’s Other Factors that Go Into It.  Those stand at $34 billion.  All you really have to do is move the number from one side of the page to the other.  

https://www.civicfed.org/blog/how-the-chicago-pension-funds-fared-in-2022#:~:text=Over the past ten years,FY2021%2C or by 2.1%.

Over the past ten years, the unfunded liabilities of the four pension funds combined have grown by $13.8 billion, or 68.6%, from $20.1 billion in FY2013. The total unfunded liabilities of the four funds increased to nearly $34.0 billion in FY2022 from $33.3 billion in FY2021, or by 2.1%.  

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Ah, you may be including the unfunded pension liabilities of the city in Tibsy’s Other Factors that Go Into It.  Those stand at $34 billion.  All you really have to do is move the number from one side of the page to the other.  

https://www.civicfed.org/blog/how-the-chicago-pension-funds-fared-in-2022#:~:text=Over the past ten years,FY2021%2C or by 2.1%.

Over the past ten years, the unfunded liabilities of the four pension funds combined have grown by $13.8 billion, or 68.6%, from $20.1 billion in FY2013. The total unfunded liabilities of the four funds increased to nearly $34.0 billion in FY2022 from $33.3 billion in FY2021, or by 2.1%.  

Interesting. Chicago is still one of the richest cities on the planet 

just to  make sure I was reading the OP title right, I had to come to PPP and get the straight scoop. On The Poop. From the man himself.

I trust exileds'  word. He is a man of science and decorum

PS: just 1 of those above is true

🙂

haha nanny nanny boo boo PPP you guys crack me up sometimes 🙂

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Interesting. Chicago is still one of the richest cities on the planet 

Oh God yes.  The streets are paved with gold.  

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

On another note... 4 days ago.  Evaporation MAY be caused by light alone. NO heat!

Pretty game changing stuff if true... With regards to cost of desalination! AND wondering where the water goes!

Enjoy. 😉 

https://scitechdaily.com/mits-surprising-discovery-light-can-evaporate-water-without-heat/

I really thought everything we ever needed to know we already did. 

Friggin cholera! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, muppy said:

just to  make sure I was reading the OP title right, I had to come to PPP and get the straight scoop. On The Poop. From the man himself.

🙂

Remember that Rasputin was a man of science and decorum of the day. The science was mysticism, of course, but still. 

• Haha (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Oh God yes.  The streets are paved with gold.  

The median household income in Chicago is $90,766. This means Chicago income is much higher than the median income in the United States, with city household incomes in the 87th percentile.

https://bestneighborhood.org/household-income-chicago-il/

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Yes. So r unfair tax laws…

1 hour ago, muppy said:

🙂

Come into the sandbox and play a while

43 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

The median household income in Chicago is $90,766. This means Chicago income is much higher than the median income in the United States, with city household incomes in the 87th percentile.

I see.  Makes me wonder about all that poverty, violence and being budget deficits, $34b light  on obligations to pensioners, challenges with infrastructure management, but I guess if you don’t include all thay and focus on the wealthy, everything is rosy.  The high class folk did ok on the Titanic too, what with lifeboats and such.   

• Agree 1

Illinois doesn't tax you on your pension, SS, and your 401k... It's a good state to retire in... Or at least have your address there. 

6 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Must have been an old article that someone posted. On the web site I saw it ,I just searched back to yesterday morning and no sign of the article.

Still it's pretty messed up here. I think a lot of old storm system is tied onto sanitary?

They have been building the "Deep Tunnel" since the 1970s:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_and_Reservoir_Plan#Status

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Tiberius said:

https://bestneighborhood.org/household-income-san-francisco-ca/

The median household income in San Francisco is $128,823. This means San Francisco income is much higher than the median income in the United States, with city household incomes in the 97th percentile.

Look at that! Another of America’s richest cities doing great! Even better than Chicago! I’ll bet people and businesses are just itching to settle there. 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, JDHillFan said:

https://bestneighborhood.org/household-income-san-francisco-ca/

The median household income in San Francisco is $128,823. This means San Francisco income is much higher than the median income in the United States, with city household incomes in the 97th percentile.

Look at that! Another of America’s richest cities doing great! Even better than Chicago! I’ll bet people and businesses are just itching to settle there.

Clearly plenty are itching to get out:

https://reformcalifornia.org/news/heres-a-list-of-companies-fleeing-san-francisco-and-why

https://buildremote.co/companies/companies-leaving-chicago/#:~:text=Boeing,%2C federal regulators and lawmakers.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/8/2023 at 12:02 PM, muppy said:

🙂

I won't steer you wrong. Only the straight data!

• Awesome! (+1) 1