Why is everyone focused on the Offense here?

PatsFanNH

8 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I disagree about O deserving far more criticism. Obviously they have underperformed in the Giants and Pats** games, but they came back with a strong second half this past Sunday. They left with the lead against one of the presumed worst offenses in the league and messed that up, similar to 13 seconds. After having poured lot of resources on the D, here we are again with shallow depth. Close games happen in the NFL, to the best teams. Yes, O needs to be bolstered but the D should be able to hold up its end of the bargain

A defense missing 4 high quality starters? I can understand if they have difficulties. The offense has no excuse. The strong second halves were more like strong 4th quarters after they wasted most of each game before that.

Offense, when played at a high level (which we've seen a lot around here in recent years), can control a football game. It can dictate the game script, the scoreboard, field position, etc., which then disrupts the opponent's gameplan. Defense, for sure, can control a game as well, but it doesn't typically do so by racking up points and skewing an opponent's available options due to the math of possessions remaining and points needed. 

It's like holding serve in tennis: the server ostensibly has an advantage over the returner (albeit less reliably than 10 and 20 years ago--which is inverted from the NFL where defenses (returners) have become much LESS dominant). So once you get ahead of your opponent, the main goal is holding serve. Translation: keep scoring. Keep dictating. Control what you can control, and you should win. 

There will always be exceptions to this thinking. And there will continue to be evolutions and YoY trends. But hypothetically, a great offense can just outscore the other team's offense, and help its own defense to stop an increasingly one-dimensional opponent. 

When you have Josh Allen, it shouldn't come down to defensive stops unless you're playing another elite team. The Bills offense failed to hold serve last week. 

5 hours ago, Rubes said:

A defense missing 4 high quality starters? I can understand if they have difficulties. The offense has no excuse. The strong second halves were more like strong 4th quarters after they wasted most of each game before that.

Did we play the Chiefs last week? The Eagles? Dolphins? No, it was one of the worst offenses in the NFL. It was Mac Jones. I cannot make excuses for that. We still have some solid guys on defense, enough so that they should have been able to stop, at the very least, hold one of the worst offenses in the NFL to a field goal. If we are going to excuse this, then we might as well admit the rest of our season is over, because how are we going to win going forward playing Mahomes, Burrow, Hurts, Tua again etc if we can't even stop a Mac Jones offense?

4 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Offense, when played at a high level (which we've seen a lot around here in recent years), can control a football game. It can dictate the game script, the scoreboard, field position, etc., which then disrupts the opponent's gameplan. Defense, for sure, can control a game as well, but it doesn't typically do so by racking up points and skewing an opponent's available options due to the math of possessions remaining and points needed. 

It's like holding serve in tennis: the server ostensibly has an advantage over the returner (albeit less reliably than 10 and 20 years ago--which is inverted from the NFL where defenses (returners) have become much LESS dominant). So once you get ahead of your opponent, the main goal is holding serve. Translation: keep scoring. Keep dictating. Control what you can control, and you should win. 

There will always be exceptions to this thinking. And there will continue to be evolutions and YoY trends. But hypothetically, a great offense can just outscore the other team's offense, and help its own defense to stop an increasingly one-dimensional opponent. 

When you have Josh Allen, it shouldn't come down to defensive stops unless you're playing another elite team. The Bills offense failed to hold serve last week. 

Why even have a defense at all then? I mean, if it has to come down to defensive stops, you would think a lowly team like The Pats would be the one you would want. Obviously it would be a disaster against a team like The Chiefs. I don't know what else to say, but 25 points against The Pats should have been enough, no matter how long it took to get there. 29 points scored by The Pats is just 😱

11 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Good questions

1) We expect more from the offense, because Allen, Diggs, Cook, Kincaid etc.  It seemed Beane had finally addressed the iOL in the draft and FA.  So it's very concerning that they should be totally impotent for the first half of 3 successive games

2) the defense came into the year with questionmarks for most of us, between starting an inexperienced MLB, aging secondary, and changing DC.  So I think we came into the year believing that for the Bills to succeed this season, they offense had to bring its "A" game

3) the defense has now been ravaged by injuries at all 3 levels - Tre White, Matt Milano, both out for the season; Daquan Jones, out for an indefinite period of time; now Ed Oliver out. 

4) complimentary football - when one unit is hampered, the other unit has to "step it up" in order to keep winning.  that's not happening

5) a lot of people have questions (if not definite conclusions) about how good and how competent as an OC Dorsey really is

Great response, some questions:

1. IOL for the Bills was being abused by NE especially Baremore.  Is that just a one off or has that happened a lot?  

2. Even with injuries, shouldn’t your D be able to stop the worst O in the NFL? Is your D bottom 3 without those 3 key starters? Because I felt I was watching the Brady offense not the Jones O on Sunday.

3. I have heard people even up here saying Dorsey is terrible., but on this site I swear everyone hates the current OC no matter who it is. Lol (I kid but at times it feels like that)

32 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The defense is a problem.

Matt Milano, Tre White, and Daquan Jones are no longer walking through the tunnel and onto the field.

Bills paid one of their players on offense a quarter of a billion dollars for a reason. That comes with the expectation that the offense has to be the strength of the team. Especially when the most valuable defensive players go down.

Time to outscore teams.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.