Did Dorien Williams get benched yesterday?

John from Riverside

30 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Williams didn't play as bad as I initially thought. He was misaligned a couple times. Didn't fit correctly or was slow to fit on the split zone the Patriots ran a few times, but the thing that got him benched was giving up the big pass to Bourne on mesh. He had a bust in every series.

Because we essentially rushed 3 all day. Settle added absolutely nothing to the pass rush and often times automatically played as a low box player not even attempting to win a rush. Hard to get home when it's 3 v 6.

We rushed 4 on 84% of defensive snaps. Couldn't find any blitz stats yet but I'm pretty sure we were way above our season average. Still couldn't get pressure and Mac had all day to sit back and find the open guys.

18 minutes ago, MPT said:

We rushed 4 on 84% of defensive snaps. Couldn't find any blitz stats yet but I'm pretty sure we were way above our season average. Still couldn't get pressure and Mac had all day to sit back and find the open guys.

Mac seemed to get the ball out really quick though so it's hard to get any pressure that way.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, MPT said:

I don't think you understand what I'm talking about. I'll see if I can add a video.

EDIT: Here's what I'm talking about. Look at Settle.

a71e0c82-d958-4f2b-a66a-de5b3f1ad640.gif

Edited by HoofHearted
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, HoofHearted said:

Williams didn't play as bad as I initially thought. He was misaligned a couple times. Didn't fit correctly or was slow to fit on the split zone the Patriots ran a few times, but the thing that got him benched was giving up the big pass to Bourne on mesh. He had a bust in every series.

Because we essentially rushed 3 all day. Settle added absolutely nothing to the pass rush and often times automatically played as a low box player not even attempting to win a rush. Hard to get home when it's 3 v 6.

Was watching some of the game earlier, didn't see much, if any, three man pass rush.  

I'll watch more when I have time.  Do you know what part of the game they used only three?  

15 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Was watching some of the game earlier, didn't see much, if any, three man pass rush.  

I'll watch more when I have time.  Do you know what part of the game they used only three?  

It wasn’t meant to be three man. Settle just wasted himself.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

They used 4, but it was effectively 3 because Settle couldn't get anything done. 

This isn't news, with DaQuan Jones out in the Bengals playoff game Settle played like half the snaps and it was Fugly.  60% against NWE with DaQuan AND Ed Oliver (who they plugged in at 1T vs Giants just to have someone who can play there) out.

And it was Fuglier.

I actually had good hopes for Settle when we signed him and hoped he was hampered by his calf injury last season but ick, apparently not.

12 hours ago, ngbills said:

The early season story of wow our LB's are better is quickly turning into a huge weakness.  

Eh.  First off Early Season (1st 5 games) we had Milano.  When Williams came in for him, he looked bad.

Williams looked ok against the Giants. 

If there's one thing Bill Belicheck does know how to do, it's to scheme up to fool rookies and young players and take advantage of them, Dorian Williams included.

They also run a quick-release passing game with a good bit of YAC for the most part, not sure about Sunday.  More than half of passing yards YAC.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.