The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. Sunday Oct 22. NE Patriots version.

Chaos

THE GOOD

Josh Allen's ability to overcome a dreary game and put his team in the lead with 2 minutes left in the game. 
Dalton Kincaids play throughout the game.

THE BAD

Preparation.  Sean McDermott has been the head coach for 6 years now.  We still see too many games, where the Bills simply look unprepared.   I am sure I am hyper sensitive to the Bills in this regard.  But even when the Chiefs or Niners, or top historical teams lost, I don't recall many situation where I thought "these guys were not ready".   NOTE THIS IS A VERBATIM REPEAT OF THE BAD FROM THE LONDON and GIANT GAME. The lack of preparation from the travel planning to three piss poor weeks of execution has made the entire Bills organization look amateurish. 

THE UGLY

Offensive Game Plan  Roller Coaster.  Barely worth elaborating on.  Dorsey's game plan was amatuer hour again today.  So was the play calling

Offensive execution.  Bills online looked like it had five backups playing against the 85 bears at time. 

Head Coaching - Defense, Offense, Special teams all played poorly.  The head coach is the common thread. He can babble all he wants about complimentary football and execution. But the buck stops with the head coach. 
(Alternative to head coach problems- Brandon Beane. The only alternative to the buck stopping with the head coach is that the roster sucks, and the Bills are miraculously playing over their heads due to coaching). 

Defensive  coaching in clutch situations.  Defense can't be relied on to close out a game.  If the Bills do not have the ball a lead, or on defense with a nine point lead with two minutes remaining in game, there is no reason to expect the defense to close out the game.  Thirteen seconds maybe the grand daddy of all of these failures, but McDermott's defense, like Fraiziers, can't be relied on to close out a game. IMPORTANT NOTE, THIS POINT IS A REPEAT FROM THE GIANTS GAME.  After six sesons, i think it is fair to conclude that McDermott is not a closer. 

Special teams.  Bad in all aspects. Not worth elaborating on. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Disagree 1

I think we can add James Cook in the "good" category today. Shakir did well with what he was targeted for as well. Poyer had, I believe his best game of the season.

Poona Ford. Is this guy really the best we can do? I think we could actually find someone on a practice squad somewhere to give us better snaps than this dude. He's worse than Settle...who actually made a play today.

For all the talk of the Offensive struggles (and they are valid) there is absolutely NO WAY this Pays team should put up 29 points and get a GW drive on us. 

The BAD: offense, defense & Special teams.

There is nothing fun or entertaining to watch with this team. Football is my favorite sport to watch and this Bills team is ruining weekend after weekend. It is the same feelings had in the drought years, year after year of sad incompetence until I no longer cared.

not going down that hole again.
My second favorite team is now who I will watch and root for. 
so sad Buffalo needs a better OC, a better DC, a better OL coach. A true #2 WR, a #1 CB, a #1 MLB, a better LT…etc, etc. too many holes and bad decisions makes them so mediocre to watch…

Lost to the Patriots with Mac Jones! Come on man!

Poop! 💩

Not sure I'd really put Allen in the good as it was his bad play early that created the hole.  As others stated would add Cook to the good along with Kincaid. 

McD's defense looked real good until the top 4 players are out and in particular both DT's.    Put both of them back on the field and things likely look much different.  All teams have injuries, but how many lose their top 4 on one side of the ball?

Offense is a problem, but put more of the blame there on play calling.  And with all the injures on defense, offense has to play better.  Dorsey was the toast of the town after Miami game, since then has been plain toast.  Seems if he puts a good game plan together, and it works great, but when it doesn't work, nothing much is done different.  Though do wonder if some of that problem is due to McD pushing the Dorsey to be more balanced?

With Tre out we have the worst collection of corners in the league and the only one with natural talent and instincts for the position has been in the dog house with McDermott since he got drafted because he can't wrap his head around standing there and letting the receiver catch the ball like the other guys. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Luka said:

With Tre out we have the worst collection of corners in the league and the only one with natural talent and instincts for the position has been in the dog house with McDermott since he got drafted because he can't wrap his head around standing there and letting the receiver catch the ball like the other guys. 

Elam is a bum. 

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

No he is not. He has Leodis McKelvin Syndrome

And he's STILL better than any of the other corners we've been putting on the field. Benford and Jackson got worked by a bunch of nobodies with Mac Jones of all people throwing the ball. 

Another good is we can all come back down to earth with our expectations. This team is done as we’ve known it. This isn’t a team anyone fears playing. The days of being 10+ point favorites against anyone are done. Any “power ranking” above 15 is a joke. 

Sadly, the “fluke” game this year was Miami. We lost to the Jets with ZW, if not for the most blatant DPI of all time, we lose to the ***** Giants, and now the Mac Jones led 1-5 Patriots. 

We have a secondary that is injured, old, or both. And the rest of that unit is worthless. 

Our defensive HC couldn’t call anything to stop a ***** team with 2 minutes left. 

Von Miller was a cash grab, and we fell for it based on his name. 

I thought folks who said McD needs to go were nuts. How many embarrassing losses does it take before that’s not an “overreaction?”  And if keeping Dorsey is the hill he wants to die on, get rid of them both. 

injuries? Every. Team. Has. Them. 
the refs? Grow up. 

We are a lost team, and that comes 100% on McD and the rest of this coaching staff. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Dorsey was the toast of the town after Miami game, since then has been plain toast.  Seems if he puts a good game plan together, and it works great, but when it doesn't work, nothing much is done different.  Though do wonder if some of that problem is due to McD pushing the Dorsey to be more balanced?

The pattern has been the Dorsey addresses one or two shortcomings at a time.  That's why Kincaid was involved today.  But he fails to be able to put it all together in an ongoing basis.  

As to the defense, I'm not quite sure why everyone is so surprised, McD's Ds as DC for six seasons were generally incredibly average, which is about what we have now.  It wasn't wise to think that all of a sudden and for no reason here, he'd be a top-notch DC.  

And some may consider it great that he's got this "swarming" chaotic defense that's predicated upon overwhelming opposing offenses, but Mike Caldwell for Jax figured it out and how to defeat it.  Since then the Giants and Pats have taken notes.  What happens when we face even Tampa this week much less Philly, Miami again, the Chiefs, Chargers, Dallas, and Bengals?   

We need a GM that's committed to protecting Allen, providing a pocket, opening running lanes, and a head coach that's not ignorant as to offensive things and more committed to getting world-class play from Allen than he is about having a "swarming D."  Until that changes ... 

One of the things about McD that made me nervous from the beginning and that no one has ever explained in a way that made me feel better is that Andy Reid fired him. Why? If he’s such a hard worker, committed learner, and keen football mind, why fire him? Reid obviously knows his stuff and he has a good coaching tree. He saw something he didn’t think he could keep working with and developing. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.