10 interesting stats I have been playing with this week | Allen, Diggs, Cook, Defense

Einstein

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I have no vendetta against player grades. I don’t care about them at all because they are completely subjective. Considering I posted a link to the actual data being used and that was actually my argument that it was other data being used and not player grades, your statement is wrong. 

then I misunderstood what you said but I have seen you say it in the past. 

If you think the player grades are "completely" subjective.........yes, you have a vendetta.    I can assure you that in most cases the player grade passes the eyeball test for performance in the systems/circumstance those players are in.    The narrative that nobody can possibly understand a players responsibilities in a given system and therefore can have only an uninformed opinion on them is based on this idea that there is infinite nuance in how teams teach and play the game.   Which would make it a little difficult to implement but you are welcome to keep thinking that because that kind of nonsensical belief at least drives discussion on TSW. :lol:

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If you think the player grades are "completely" subjective.........yes, you have a vendetta.    I can assure you that in most cases the player grade passes the eyeball test for performance in the systems/circumstance those players are in.    The narrative that nobody can possibly understand a players responsibilities in a given system and therefore can have only an uninformed opinion on them is based on this idea that there is infinite nuance in how teams teach and play the game.   Which would make it a little difficult to implement but you are welcome to keep thinking that because that kind of nonsensical belief at least drives discussion on TSW. :lol:

Yes, they are subjective because someone is looking at it and determining what they think based on eyeball test.  That is in essence subjective.  Objective would be whether a pass is completed or not. Subjective would be someone deciding if that pass was a good pass or not.  I didn't say anything about whether or not someone understands player responsibilities. 

Seems you are the one with a vendetta about this stat, not me. I don't have a vendetta because I couldn't care less if these stats exist or not.  I couldn't care less if someone thinks the stats are dead on balls accurate or if they are garbage.  In order to have a vendetta about the stat itself, I would have to care that it exists.  I don't.  

My comment was not about player grading and whether it was accurate or not.  It was about what NFL teams pay for... and it isn't player grading.

Edited by Scott7975

Another typically oversimplified, binary debate on TSW.

Of course there's an element of subjectivity to any player grades. That's even true within the NFL clubs' personnel departments.

That's not the question.

The question is how much value is there in the grades of established, 3rd party services?

I'm pretty sure their products are not totally invalid or totally lacking in value.

How many of the OPs original data points seem reflective of what we see on the field?

Does it seem like Tua goes to his first read more than any other QB?

Does it seem like Josh is checking down a lot this year?

Does it seem like Josh looks at Diggs a high percentage of the time this year?

Does it seem like James Cook is more effective in gap runs than zone runs?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2023 at 12:36 PM, Einstein said:

6) Cook has a significantly higher YPC on man/gap runs than zone.

cook.jpg

Just now actually looking through these lol. Look at the success rates of both. They're both really good. Gives some context as to when we're running zone concepts though.

Edited by HoofHearted

On 10/20/2023 at 2:06 PM, eball said:

He had one bad game (half, really) -- and it was one of the worst of his career.  Since then he's been brilliant.  I just wish he'd run a bit more when it's wide open in front of him.

I think he is saving the runs for key games and the playoffs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.