Hot Diggity!

Beck Water

OK, this issue is settled.

So, that's how we came to have a TikTok of Stefon Diggs dancing in the streets with a group of young Orthodox Jewish guys.

Overall, pretty cool story.

Question: is there such a thing as a non-Kosher campfire?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Couplea things then Imma let this go

13 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

I’m comparing Diggs reaction to things going sideways in that Bengals game to what the cameras also showed us of Allen during the same game. That’s what Allen looked like to me - in space somewhere. Checked out. Other QBs have looked the same way when it just isn’t their day, as you pointed out. And that is okay.

It's not, really.  We need a guy who, as Reid said to Mahomes before KC tied it up: "When it looks grim, Be the Grim Reaper".

But yelling at or shaming a guy from the distance during the game won't help him make that shift.

13 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

My whole point is neither bothers me. And as far as Diggs “interrupting” Josh on his tablet, well I’d figure listening to your only elite weapon in the midst of a win or go home playoff game (even if he’s only venting) is more important than checking replays. Make time for both, since we all know, so they should definitely know, that Diggs isn’t going to be quiet about it. Any conduct fans or commentators are deeming as “counterproductive” by Diggs is far outweighed by his ACTUAL PRODUCTION on the field

So, we'll have to agree to disagree here. Listening to your elite weapon is important.  Screaming at your QB is not appropriate, and in any case, you'll get what Diggs got - Allen ignoring him.  Constructive ways to be heard are to approach the QB and share some observation about how the defense is covering you, how you can run a route to get open against that.  Beasley did that kind of thing with Josh.  Kelce famously did it with Mahomes, leading to "13 seconds".  If Diggs wants to see the Bills push that rock over the top, then he needs to look at himself and see what he can do to help Josh be better. 

To his credit, he did say some stuff to that effect in his presser yesterday that seem to have mostly gone unremarked by media focused on the Minicamp kerfluffle.  Something to the effect of "I can do more to help him.  I WILL."

Yes, Diggs has been extremely productive for the Bills, in 3 regular seasons and in the 2020 playoffs.  In 2021 playoffs, he was contained or shut down, 3 receptions on 4 targets for 60 vs NWE, 3 receptions on 6 targets for 7 yds vs KC.  2022, 4 receptions on 10 targets for 4 yards.  That indicates a need for communication - but that communication had best be about how they're playing him and when he can get open better.  And I'm not saying that 4 receptions on 10 targets is on Diggs - I know some of the throws were off-target - but I think a couple of them he could have had.

Diggs needs to find a way to be more productive in the playoffs, to whatever extent that's within his control.  And it may critically depend upon Josh having better receiving weapons behind Diggs.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

Ya know. I don’t know how this isn’t the easiest thing to understand for everyone. Diggs was pissed that he was phased out at the end of the year and playoffs. And the team played like ass. If Allen and staff handled it the right way, I’m sure he’d have gotten over it without further drama. But they didn’t. They let him sit in *****, and didn’t come out and overly explain their understandings of his frustration. Diggs was right, and they treated him like he was being a diva. He wasn’t. 

2 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Ya know. I don’t know how this isn’t the easiest thing to understand for everyone. Diggs was pissed that he was phased out at the end of the year and playoffs. And the team played like ass. If Allen and staff handled it the right way, I’m sure he’d have gotten over it without further drama. But they didn’t. They let him sit in *****, and didn’t come out and overly explain their understandings of his frustration. Diggs was right, and they treated him like he was being a diva. He wasn’t. 

We'll have to agree to disagree. 

Except that the team played like ass in the Bengals game (not the rest of the year - the Bengals game.  I agree with that.  I don't know how anyone could disagree.

But I'll throw down

"Phased out at the end of the year"

Here's a plot of targets per game for two wide receivers.  Point out which one was "phased out at the end of the year and playoffs"

Capture.JPG

The "If Allen and the staff had handled it the right way" depends upon granting your theory that Diggs was phased out. which I'll grant only after you explain to me which of the dots represent a receiver being "phased out" and why it should be interpreted that way.  Could everyone have communicated more clearly at times, probably - but that goes both ways.

Second, sorry, but however Allen and the coaches handled it, Diggs was exhibiting diva-like behavior.  Plain and simple.  Storming out of the tunnel after a loss, as a team captain, is the very definition of that thing.

Edited by Beck Water

On 7/27/2023 at 12:31 PM, Beck Water said:

Couplea things then Imma let this go

It's not, really.  We need a guy who, as Reid said to Mahomes before KC tied it up: "When it looks grim, Be the Grim Reaper".

But yelling at or shaming a guy from the distance during the game won't help him make that shift.

So, we'll have to agree to disagree here. Listening to your elite weapon is important.  Screaming at your QB is not appropriate, and in any case, you'll get what Diggs got - Allen ignoring him.  Constructive ways to be heard are to approach the QB and share some observation about how the defense is covering you, how you can run a route to get open against that.  Beasley did that kind of thing with Josh.  Kelce famously did it with Mahomes, leading to "13 seconds".  If Diggs wants to see the Bills push that rock over the top, then he needs to look at himself and see what he can do to help Josh be better. 

To his credit, he did say some stuff to that effect in his presser yesterday that seem to have mostly gone unremarked by media focused on the Minicamp kerfluffle.  Something to the effect of "I can do more to help him.  I WILL."

Yes, Diggs has been extremely productive for the Bills, in 3 regular seasons and in the 2020 playoffs.  In 2021 playoffs, he was contained or shut down, 3 receptions on 4 targets for 60 vs NWE, 3 receptions on 6 targets for 7 yds vs KC.  2022, 4 receptions on 10 targets for 4 yards.  That indicates a need for communication - but that communication had best be about how they're playing him and when he can get open better.  And I'm not saying that 4 receptions on 10 targets is on Diggs - I know some of the throws were off-target - but I think a couple of them he could have had.

Diggs needs to find a way to be more productive in the playoffs, to whatever extent that's within his control.  And it may critically depend upon Josh having better receiving weapons behind Diggs.

It seems Stef was telling Josh that he needed to be the Grim Reaper. 

5 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

It seems Stef was telling Josh that he needed to be the Grim Reaper. 

Unless you had a mic on him, the best I can give that one is "not proven"

"I need my bag" "what's you're excuse now, Josh?" and other things that have been caught on video expressing upset, Not That Thing

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Holy 

💨💨

So the last guy to  be beat was Cam Lewis (39) who was the one who fell down chasing Diggs?  Was that Baylon Spector?

Any plan that puts a MLB on Diggs....is a Bad Plan

Ha, yes....good old cover 2.

Re: Cam, I always thought he'd be a better nickle corner, than boundary or even safety.  He lacks speed, but has enough quicks and aggression to be a capable guy there.

Either way, that pass and catch was a thing of beauty.

My 1st training camp in 8+ years, difficult to make the trip from Pittsburgh (season tix is enough).  But some thoughts:

1. Gabe:looks alot quicker/lighter to me this year.  He had some good 1-1s vs Tre.  Out breaking and in-breaking routes, which we didn't get enough of LY

2. Shakir/Cook: talk about a 2nd offseason making a difference, both these guys look poised to make some noise.  Both quicker, maybe less thinking, just overall more comfortable....especially James.  I like Damien, but Cook looks ready to make a big step.   Shakir has some good players behind him, in Harty and Sherfield, which might make for interesting rotation.  All these WRs have positional flex, so it will make life tough for defenses to key in on any tendencies.

3. Kincaid: this guy understands "leverage"/positioning extremely well for a rookie.  His play looked to support the hype, only 1 day, but he's got high potential in this offense.  Going to be difficult for defenses to bracket/double him, with Diggs and others.  He'll get his 1-1 matchups and Josh should be looking there alot.

4. OL/DL/LB: difficult to fully evaluate w/o pads, will be eager to read up on other takes once pads come on.  1 player to mention, Tim Settle, his quickness looks to have returned.  That calf injury really held him back LY, imo.

5. PR/KR: Harty definitely looks explosive as a PR, Shakir can be in the mix too.  Im less concerned about KR, given new rules.  But wouldnt be suprised to see some rotation there as the season goes on, depending on gameday roster decisions.

6. Tre: maybe I was there for a bad day to evaluate him.   But he still doesn't look to have regained that elite short area quickness/twitch.  Hope I'm wrong.  He still looked good, just not all-pro Tre White.

7.  Cb2: competition for the starter makes for nice problem to have.  Still not sure how Benford slid.  I'm a Pitt guy, so I know Danes limitations as well as any.  I can't see how he wins the CB2 role, but he's s great backup/luxury....gonna be a dogfight between Elam and Benford, both these guys just "stick" to the WRs better, Benford has more instinctive play/scrappy.

8.  Von: nice to see him doing rehab on the side.  1-legged bag drills while catching medicine balls.  Unreal how fast he's recovering

9. Coach: dressed head to toe in all black today...he must love that heat! Funny that I saw the local reporting, here in Steeler country, saying Tomlin did same today.  Glutton for punishment

10. SJF: finally, I have to say how great the staff/setup is at SJF.  All around great experience.  Lots more fans than last time I could make it, 😀...but my 5 yr old son had a memorable time

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2023 at 2:14 PM, Beck Water said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. 

Except that the team played like ass in the Bengals game (not the rest of the year - the Bengals game.  I agree with that.  I don't know how anyone could disagree.

But I'll throw down

"Phased out at the end of the year"

Here's a plot of targets per game for two wide receivers.  Point out which one was "phased out at the end of the year and playoffs"

Capture.JPG

The "If Allen and the staff had handled it the right way" depends upon granting your theory that Diggs was phased out. which I'll grant only after you explain to me which of the dots represent a receiver being "phased out" and why it should be interpreted that way.  Could everyone have communicated more clearly at times, probably - but that goes both ways.

Second, sorry, but however Allen and the coaches handled it, Diggs was exhibiting diva-like behavior.  Plain and simple.  Storming out of the tunnel after a loss, as a team captain, is the very definition of that thing.

I’m back! I’m guessing the red dot is JJ.

I agree with you—that communication on this thing sucked. I also think Diggs’s outlandish behavior at the end of the final game of the year was building and building not only within him because of how he feels he was used, but with all the crap that his team had to go through all damn season. I can’t believe he didn’t blow his stack sooner, actually. He an emotional player.. and that was about as an emotional season any team in any sport has ever had barring a plane crash. 

I hear you. All great points, and I appreciate your posts. I think diva is too strong a word for Diggs. Divas obliterate locker rooms and seasons, and then ship off. We’ll see how Diggs ends his time in Buffalo, I’m sure we both hope it’s not a disaster zone.

To me, and to Diggs obviously, a phase out is based on what the player is expected to do for his team in the biggest games. We’re talking 20 targets and 15 catches type of expectations in a home playoff game with JA17. God knows they weren’t going to run the ball effectively. And the catching core was weak as hell outside of Diggs. With the Bengals loss, Diggs blew up. Whatever happened there didn’t keep the Bills from competing to their best at the end of the season or playoffs. Just need to see all the off season additions to the passing game.. that’s not because of Diggs’s ineffectiveness, for sure. It’s because the org hears Diggs loud and clear. 

I’m just defending Diggs on this one. Why,, I don’t even know. In a bubble, he blew up, but in my profession you better have an idea on who is capable of doing that, and figure out how to make sure it doesn’t happen on your watch. Allen and staff weren’t blindsided by Diggs’s actions, but they didn’t seem to know what to do before/during/after either. 

Just to get back in #14’s head at the time, who was more emotional than he when Hamlin went down in Cincy? I just think he really wanted to win that playoff game, and he’s a dawg.. the last thing he wanted to experience that afternoon was getting a beat down by a punk ass team like them. He was over it. 

I’d ride with Diggs any day if I’m a Bill. 

3 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I’m back! I’m guessing the red dot is JJ.

Good call, right you are.  And thank you for the kind words.

3 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I hear you. All great points, and I appreciate your posts. I think diva is too strong a word for Diggs. Divas obliterate locker rooms and seasons, and then ship off. We’ll see how Diggs ends his time in Buffalo, I’m sure we both hope it’s not a disaster zone.

To me, and to Diggs obviously, a phase out is based on what the player is expected to do for his team in the biggest games. We’re talking 20 targets and 15 catches type of expectations in a home playoff game with JA17. God knows they weren’t going to run the ball effectively. And the catching core was weak as hell outside of Diggs. With the Bengals loss, Diggs blew up. Whatever happened there didn’t keep the Bills from competing to their best at the end of the season or playoffs. Just need to see all the off season additions to the passing game.. that’s not because of Diggs’s ineffectiveness, for sure. It’s because the org hears Diggs loud and clear.

Justin Jefferson gets 15-16 targets a game because he almost never comes off the field.  92%, 98%. 100% of the snaps.

Diggs has never gotten 20 targets in a Bills game, and only gotten 15 or 16 targets a handful (literally 5 I think) of games, and never in one of the 6 playoff games he's played as a Bill.  Part of that is, he isn't on the field that high a # of snaps most games.  2021 82%, 2022 77% of the snaps.    So I'm not sure where an expectation for 20 targets in a playoff game would come from.  A lot of the best teams follow the philosophy, "take away their best player on offense", that being Diggs.  Thus Gabe Davis drawing 10 targets and collecting 200 yds vs KC in the playoffs.

I'm not sure what the last sentence "It’s because the org hears Diggs loud and clear" means.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/27/2023 at 11:49 AM, BeefCurtns said:

Personal Foul…. Too many sayings in one sentence 10 yard penalty repeat first down.

Got a better one foryou. 

Reporter was asking Hank Bullough about his decision to punt instead of kick a field goal. 

“Well, that’s just spilled milk over the dam”

• Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Good call, right you are.  And thank you for the kind words.

Justin Jefferson gets 15-16 targets a game because he almost never comes off the field.  92%, 98%. 100% of the snaps.

Diggs has never gotten 20 targets in a Bills game, and only gotten 15 or 16 targets a handful (literally 5 I think) of games, and never in one of the 6 playoff games he's played as a Bill.  Part of that is, he isn't on the field that high a # of snaps most games.  2021 82%, 2022 77% of the snaps.    So I'm not sure where an expectation for 20 targets in a playoff game would come from.  A lot of the best teams follow the philosophy, "take away their best player on offense", that being Diggs.  Thus Gabe Davis drawing 10 targets and collecting 200 yds vs KC in the playoffs.

I'm not sure what the last sentence "It’s because the org hears Diggs loud and clear" means.

I wouldn’t expect 20 targets for Diggs, but in his head.. he’s got a different mind set that we would have. 

“Die trying” is what Diggs thinks against CIN. When you lose that badly, and the best offense player player on the team not named JA17 is even involved.. again this is Diggs’s mindset, imo.

I didn’t know Diggs plays so few snaps. Great, that’s another problem for this offense! ☺️

The loud and clear part is the correlation between Diggs losing it after Cincinnati and all the draft and free agent thought that went into fixing it. I’m not saying the front office did all that because of Diggs’s blowup, just that they did do it, for the Rigby reasons, and I bet it all made Diggs very happy.

i don’t remember if Diggs said anything about not grabbing Gabe Davis’s stat line in the KC playoff loss in 2021? But since his team lost, there is probably a small part of he’s disappointment coming out after Cincinnati as well. 

18 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I wouldn’t expect 20 targets for Diggs, but in his head.. he’s got a different mind set that we would have. 

“Die trying” is what Diggs thinks against CIN. When you lose that badly, and the best offense player player on the team not named JA17 is even involved.. again this is Diggs’s mindset, imo.

Factually, Diggs had 10 targets in the Cincinnati game.  Now I can't tell you what that means - how many of them were catchable?  But the stat line is 4 receptions on 10 targets, the most of anyone on the team.  That would probably suggest that if Diggs wasn't involved to his satisfaction, it wasn't entirely for lack of JA and Dorsey trying.

18 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I didn’t know Diggs plays so few snaps. Great, that’s another problem for this offense! ☺️

This is hard to see on the TV coverage, but people who have attended the games say he appears to take himself off the field.

He did play more snaps in the playoffs - 90% - but that can present its own problems if it's not what a player's body is used to.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.