Random preseason OLine rankings <edited>

11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

This all remains to be seen. Not sure how you can sit here on July 16th and state he’s done an excellent job when we have no idea…. None of the guys he brought in are sure things.

Fair point.  To be more precise:  Bean has identified the problem correctly; he has moved aggressively within the constraints of the CAP to correct the problem at Guard.  On paper it looks like the Bills will be much better with Saffold gone and one of the three new options replacing him at guard.  In addition I agree with Bean expecting that this will be the year that Brown makes a significant jump at RT.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This is wishful thinking… it’d be hard to not be better than Saffold who was a train wreck… doesn’t mean McGovern will be any good, he’s history is a mixed bag…. And who knows with Torrence… personally was hoping they’d sign the best interior linemen available such as Riser or Seumalo.

It's hardly wishful thinking to assume that McGovern or Edwards or the rookie will NOT be train wrecks. Saffold was singularly awful and Defenses exploited this the 2nd half of the season.  At minimum, Bean has shored up this problem and the Bills should at least be competent at guard. This alone may make all the difference given the Bills were 14 - 4 with Saffold.

Edited by CincyBillsFan

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This is wishful thinking… it’d be hard to not be better than Saffold who was a train wreck… doesn’t mean McGovern will be any good, he’s history is a mixed bag…. And who knows with Torrence… personally was hoping they’d sign the best interior linemen available such as Riser or Seumalo.

So you do not think McGovern is an mid-high tier talent? No hope for Cyrus? he could come out being elite as well. HE was the first NATURAL guard to come out of the draft. Last year we made a poor attempt to fix the oline. you cant possibly say that this year can you?

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly,  if Spencer craps the bed we're right back to 26-28.  Teams are going to attack Brown from the right side.

Good thing is OL and protections can scheme up to help out 1 problem. But last year we had 2 players getting walked at the same time. Saffold and Brown. Brown at least has some upside. 

13 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Do you mean Risner? Risner who sat out there still a FA until the end of June? You think he was one of the best IOL on the market? With you on Seumalo but for what the Bills are I'd take McGovern over Risner. Comfortably so. 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It's hardly wishful thinking to assume that McGovern or Edwards or the rookie will NOT be train wrecks. Saffold was singularly awful and Defenses exploited this the 2nd half of the season.  At minimum, Bean has shored up this problem and the Bills should at least be competent at guard. This alone may make all the difference given the Bills were 14 - 4 with Saffold.

I agree with this.  I think Saffold's replacement will be an improvement.  We also seem to have better depth at guard this year.

I don't agree with: "Brown makes a significant jump at RT" from your earlier post.  I want to believe that but can't really justify such a belief.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I agree with this.  I think Saffold's replacement will be an improvement.  We also seem to have better depth at guard this year.

I don't agree with: "Brown makes a significant jump at RT" from your earlier post.  I want to believe that but can't really justify such a belief.  

I justify my optimism on a few things:

*  Brown is very young and inexperienced coming from a small school and he didn't play football during the covid year.  More then most draft picks he has the opportunity to improve.

*  he is a physical freak who is still growing and maturing.

*  he has shown flashes of being very good as well as being very bad.  It's reasonable to assume that with more experience and maturing his highs will outnumber his lows.

*  Off season surgery last year set Brown back big time.  He will have a true off season this year.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 7/14/2023 at 11:49 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bates is starting quality without a doubt.

Bates has been an above average 2nd stringer at times, but isn’t consistent enough to be considered a starter,  the Bills Oline has been bad that is why he looked good in comparison to the likes of who we have had over the last couple seasons. 

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Bates has been an above average 2nd stringer at times, but isn’t consistent enough to be considered a starter,  the Bills Oline has been bad that is why he looked good in comparison to the likes of who we have had over the last couple seasons. 

He’s definitely starting quality. There aren’t 64 better OG’s.

Bates is not a problem for us. How many games did you watch and come away saying Bates was a problem? 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I justify my optimism on a few things:

Brown is very young and inexperienced coming from a small school and he didn't play football during the covid year.  More then most draft picks he has the opportunity to improve.

*  he is a physical freak who is still growing and maturing.

*  he has shown flashes of being very good as well as being very bad.  It's reasonable to assume that with more experience and maturing his highs will outnumber his lows.

Off season surgery last year set Brown back big time.  He will have a true off season this year.

The bolded reasons I wholeheartedly agree with. Brown very well could take some steps forward. I'm not talking Pro Bowl level. Would be great but I don't see that kind of jump. Just making it to average would be a noticeable jump.

My biggest concern with Brown is his back. Back injuries for big guys like this are often chronic once they get them. Very easy to re-tweak as well. Even being that they brought Shell in and still have Q (who I do NOT want on the field) I wish they would have grabbed a bit better depth at RT for this reason. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bates is not a problem for us. How many games did you watch and come away saying Bates was a problem? 

Bates would likely not start on more than half the teams in the league, compared to the bad guards we have been fielding he looks good. I would rather have him than the likes of Saffold.

On 7/14/2023 at 9:09 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Actually the o-line has taken a huge dive  this year.  Scroll down and you will see Sharp had Bills at #8 (not 28) last year preseason:

21. Buffalo Bills

A year ago we were optimistic about Buffalo’s offensive line, ranking the unit eighth overall, but their placement has fallen to 21st this year. Spencer Brown must improve his production for this unit to surpass expectations. Brown ranked 27th out of 32 right tackles in pressure rate allowed in 2022.

That should show how much faith we should have in this ranking.

33 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You’re getting a lot of push back on Bates, but I think it’s because he’s not a sexy name and fans just want better. You’re right in that he’s a starting quality guard, an average one, but a starter nonetheless. He was the 41st ranked guard according to PFF and was recorded as surrendering a single sack on the season.

I don’t think Bates has ever been a problem the way Rodger Saffold was a problem. Bates is just an unspectacular guard who’s better at pass pro than run blocking. We could certainly do better, but could do much worse too. I think I remember reading somewhere that center is his favorite position to play. He’ll be next up after Morse.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.