Good Breakdown on Bills, KC, and Cinci moving forward

newcam2012

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The only reason the Bills were a better team week 1 last year than week 18 was injuries. And none of the injuries we suffered were the "predictable vet slowing down type." Even the Von ACL all the science says the increased risk after a tear is minimal. It was just a bit of luck evening out IMO. Bills had pretty good injury fortune in 2020 and most of 2021. But since the Tre ACL they have hit a run of injuries. Luck always plays a part.

The three big injuries were to Von Miller (34), Jordan Poyer (32), and Micah Hyde (32).  It’s never a huge shock when players who are over 30 get hurt.  It’s a young man’s game, especially now that there’s an extra week during the regular season and only one bye in the postseason.  There’s a strong correlation between age and injury.  There’s an element of it, but it can’t all be attributed to bad luck.  Buffalo had the oldest roster in the league last season, and they got older this year when they let Edmunds walk while extending Poyer and signing Floyd.

11 minutes ago, Billl said:

The three big injuries were to Von Miller (34), Jordan Poyer (32), and Micah Hyde (32).  It’s never a huge shock when players who are over 30 get hurt.

So the Chiefs relying on Travis Kelce (33), Jerick McKinnon (30), and Joe Thuney (30) was a mistake in your opinion?

28 minutes ago, Billl said:

The three big injuries were to Von Miller (34), Jordan Poyer (32), and Micah Hyde (32).  It’s never a huge shock when players who are over 30 get hurt.  It’s a young man’s game, especially now that there’s an extra week during the regular season and only one bye in the postseason.  There’s a strong correlation between age and injury.  There’s an element of it, but it can’t all be attributed to bad luck.  Buffalo had the oldest roster in the league last season, and they got older this year when they let Edmunds walk while extending Poyer and signing Floyd.

There is a correlation. But that applies to wear and tear injuries which none of those 3 you mention were. It was bad luck. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

So the Chiefs relying on Travis Kelce (33), Jerick McKinnon (30), and Joe Thuney (30) was a mistake in your opinion?

A mistake?  No.  But there are risks involved, sure.  Especially for McKinnon who has had a history of injuries.  I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he were to miss significant time. 

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There is a correlation. But that applies to wear and tear injuries which none of those 3 you mention were. It was bad luck. 

Von’s ACL was absolutely wear and tear.  It’s not like he went down in a heap after he tore it.  The tear was discovered when they were working on his meniscus and cleaning up cartilage damage.  Even Poyer wasn’t really injured so much as he was banged up and playing at less than 100%.

Older players are more susceptible to injuries, and they take longer to recover than younger players.  That’s just a fact.

• Disagree 1

On 7/13/2023 at 8:03 PM, PBF81 said:

This is common sense.  You simply cannot keep whiffing on your Drafts for this very reason.  

At some point the piper shows up with his invoice.  It looks as if 2024 is when he'll be showing up bill in hand.  

Never fear however, Beane was just extended, so at least he'll be left to clean up his own mess and after his own draft failures.  

I think realistically with these contracts and player ages, this will be the last shot at a Lombardi during Josh's first window. And yes I see him having a 2nd window after a mini 2 year rebuild.  Players like Morse and Hyde will likely be gone after this season. And White possibly soon after. The key to the Bills future will be the better drafting of OL & WR.  That will dictate Josh's 2nd window. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The only reason the Bills were a better team week 1 last year than week 18 was injuries. And none of the injuries we suffered were the "predictable vet slowing down type." Even the Von ACL all the science says the increased risk after a tear is minimal. It was just a bit of luck evening out IMO. Bills had pretty good injury fortune in 2020 and most of 2021. But since the Tre ACL they have hit a run of injuries. Luck always plays a part.

Everything about last year was bad luck. I've never seen a Bills team in 50 years go through that much. Von was on pace to have a 13-14 sack season.  Spencer getting hurt almost ended Josh's season. Micah goes down early, Poyer hurt all year and Tre's slow return all factored in. Last year was an avalanche they couldn't survive. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Spencer getting hurt? Dude sucked…. There was literally no drop off from him to Quess.

Miller injury was the one that really hurt…. Anyone expecting them not to have injuries again come January is being unrealistic. Just have to hope they aren’t significant/season Enders.

As far as Spencer sucking, you'll get no argument from me. And yes Q was just as embarrassing. I'm not expecting a no injury season. But maybe not as brutal as last year.

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think realistically with these contracts and player ages, this will be the last shot at a Lombardi during Josh's first window. And yes I see him having a 2nd window after a mini 2 year rebuild.  Players like Morse and Hyde will likely be gone after this season. And White possibly soon after. The key to the Bills future will be the better drafting of OL & WR.  That will dictate Josh's 2nd window. 

If that's the way it unfolds, them let's hope Beane gets it right finally.  

That's why I'm not a fan of OJT hires.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.