JA - “I’m trying to transition to being the guy that wins from the pocket”

BillsFan619

Eliminating designed runs for Josh is INSANE.  You can't live in fear of him getting injured; this is football.

His running is an immense part of his game; you get rid of that, you get rid of 30-40% of what Josh is.  Like playing at 70% due to injury.

His running in the red zone alone is hugely effective.

And for the 10,000 time, would someone here please show me actual DATA that correlates QB injury with running?  Seeing as most QBs are in the pocket most of the time, I would think MOST QB injuries, all time, have occurred standing around in the pocket.

Just because you run doesn't mean you get killed, especially when Josh often breaks into the secondary and is MUCH bigger than the guys trying to tackle him.

What if he heads for a sideline and just steps out of bounds after a nice 13 yard gain?  That could be a designed run.  He ain't gonna get hurt on that play.

8 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Eliminating designed runs for Josh is INSANE.  You can't live in fear of him getting injured; this is football.

His running is an immense part of his game; you get rid of that, you get rid of 30-40% of what Josh is.  Like playing at 70% due to injury.

And for the 10,000 time, would someone here please show me actual DATA that correlates QB injury with running?  Seeing as most QBs are in the pocket most of the time, I would think MOST QB injuries, all time, have occurred standing around in the pocket.

Just because you run doesn't mean you get killed, especially when Josh often breaks into the secondary and is MUCH bigger than the guys trying to tackle him.

What if he heads for a sideline and just steps out of bounds after a nice 13 yard gain?  That could be a designed run.  He ain't gonna get hurt on that play.

Teams are learning how to contain Allen, therefore he has to learn how to win from the pocket.  Plenty of times there were receivers open that could of moved the chains that Allen has missed by either trying to run or forcing the ball downfield.

I still exepct Allen to run when neccesary, but on paper we have plenty of talent and there really isn't a reason why Allen shouldn't be able to find that underneath guy who can move the chains more often. This is something Allen needs to work on because in next few years the run part of his game will be diminisihing, and he'll need to be able to find the outlet more reliablily.

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It's not just a hit and then an injury....it's the hits over time that take a toll and body will break down.  Allen has acknowledged this.

Yeah a 225 lbs Safety is smaller than Josh but at the NFL level, that guy can hit hard enough to hurt Allen. 

I don't want Josh to run outside the 20's and taking unnecessary hits.  

I want to keep more of the designed runs in the playoffs.  It's a weapon for sure.  

If he sees a run lane when he's passing and takes off....that's fine too.  But get out of bounds or slide.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's not just a hit and then an injury....it's the hits over time that take a toll and body will break down.  Allen has acknowledged this.

Yeah a 225 lbs Safety is smaller than Josh but at the NFL level, that guy can hit hard enough to hurt Allen. 

I want to keep more of the designed runs in the playoffs.  It's a weapon for sure.  

If he sees a run lane when he's passing and takes off....that's fine too.  But get out of bounds or slide.  

I think beyond all of this - is to take what the other team gives you.  If they're in a 2 high shell then use that underneath space that provides.  If they're in 0 blitz, find the hot.  If they want to play man, scamble and either take yards or buy time.  If there is nothing there, throw it away.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Teams are learning how to contain Allen, therefore he has to learn how to win from the pocket.  Plenty of times there were receivers open that could of moved the chains that Allen has missed by either trying to run or forcing the ball downfield.

I still exepct Allen to run when neccesary, but on paper we have plenty of talent and there really isn't a reason why Allen shouldn't be able to find that underneath guy who can move the chains more often. This is something Allen needs to work on because in next few years the run part of his game will be diminisihing, and he'll need to be able to find the outlet more reliablily.

I do think at least part of it was josh losing confidence in the offensive line and he got into this mentality of  ‘it’s only a matter of time before a hold or sack derails this drive so I better pick up chunks when I can’. He seems much more willing to hit the checkdowns/underneath throws when he’s not running for his life on a majority of plays.  

He seemed to lose some accuracy post elbow injury too which makes some of those tight window underneath throws a little dicey. 

of course he is a gunslinger as well no question lol but I do expect things to return to  some normalcy next season. 

20 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Exactly Allen said he can't keep taking the hits. As far as the designed runs goes as Allen gets older, he will get slower, and those runs will stop being effective. Allen at some point will be reduced to being a pocket passer. Look at Elway as example of that. He ran a lot early in his career but not so much as he got older. Same thing will happen with Josh.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.