14 new college football conference affiliations officially begin today (7/1/2023)

chongli

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-realignment-2023-full-list-breakdown-of-schools-changing-conference-affiliation-saturday/

To Big 12:

BYU Cougars (previous: FBS independent)

Cincinnati Bearcats (previous: American Athletic)

Houston Cougars (previous: American Athletic)

UCF Knights (previous: American Athletic)

[Note: after 2023, Texas and Oklahoma will depart the Big 12 for the SEC:

(https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-expansion-best-worst-scenarios-for-each-newcomer-in-2023-as-they-make-power-five-debuts/)]

To American Athletic:

Charlotte 49ers (previous: Conference USA)

FAU Owl (previous: Conference USA)

Rice Owls (previous: Conference USA)

UAB (previous: Conference USA)

UTSA Roadrunners (previous: Conference USA)

North Texas Mean Green (previous: Conference USA)

To Conference USA:

Sam Houston Bearkats (previous: WAC)

New Mexico State Aggies (previous: FBS independent)

Liberty Flames (previous: FBS independent)

Jacksonville State Gamecocks (previous: ASUN)

32 minutes ago, chongli said:

Good question. Maybe for this year, but once Oklahoma and Texas leave, I am not so sure.

Brigham Young & Cincinnati I believe have shown enough to be in a big conference.

Central Florida & Houston, have to wait and see.

• Like (+1) 1

Texas Longhorns are the next UNLV once professional sports start expanding into Austin besides MLS. At some point I think the NFL and potentially MLB will be in Austin. When that happens Texas Longhorns are just like Cincinnati, Orlando, Memphis and Houston. I think the Big 12 Conference will be fine but I think everyone that isn’t SEC and Big Ten Conference are behind so there really is only the Power Two Conferences in college football today. At the end of the day does it really matter one is going to cheer on there favorite school team either way in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, I am leaving for good said:

Texas Longhorns are the next UNLV once professional sports start expanding into Austin besides MLS. At some point I think the NFL and potentially MLB will be in Austin. When that happens Texas Longhorns are just like Cincinnati, Orlando, Memphis and Houston. I think the Big 12 Conference will be fine but I think everyone that isn’t SEC and Big Ten Conference are behind so there really is only the Power Two Conferences in college football today. At the end of the day does it really matter one is going to cheer on there favorite school team either way in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Lmao UT is the richest football program in America 

Calling them the next UNLV might be the worst take I’ve ever read on this board

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 9:39 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Lmao UT is the richest football program in America 

Calling them the next UNLV might be the worst take I’ve ever read on this board

I don’t care what the Texas Longhorns have money wise today it’s irrelevant once professional sports takes there revenue away and market share. The take is solid. Put another NBA team in Syracuse see how many people go to Syracuse Orange basketball games. Syracuse Orange grew when the Syracuse Nats moved for Philadelphia to become the Philadelphia 76ers in 1963. Syracuse Orange basketball capitalized on that. Any college town/city that becomes a professional sports city it weakens the college sports team unless they are winning national championships year after year or they are Los Angeles that is a huge market with lots of corporate sponsors money. Austin has MLS right now but NFL goes in there Texas Longhorns football are like UNLV basketball in the 1970’s through 1990’s. Once Austin gets that taste Texas will be weaken especially since they aren’t what they once were now. See Memphis State Tigers basketball when the NBA went there. Minnesota Golden Gophers football when the Minnesota Vikings arrived, the Little Three basketball here in Western New York when the Buffalo Bills, Sabres and Braves arrived. You put NFL in Columbus, Ohio turn off the lights with Ohio State dominance. Washington Huskies haven’t done zip since the Seattle Seahawks and Seattle Mariners came to town. Texas Longhorns exist as triple a football once the NFL and Major League Baseball takes a big scoop of money out of the ad revenue of Texas starts to dry up and they start to lose market share. It is a very solid take. Alabama if the NFL went to Birmingham, Alabama it would weaken Alabama Crimson Tide football. Again they will exist but it weakens the college sports once major league sports come to cities. There are very few exceptions to that rule in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

18 hours ago, I am leaving for good said:

I don’t care what the Texas Longhorns have money wise today it’s irrelevant once professional sports takes there revenue away and market share. The take is solid. Put another NBA team in Syracuse see how many people go to Syracuse Orange basketball games. Syracuse Orange grew when the Syracuse Nats moved for Philadelphia to become the Philadelphia 76ers in 1963. Syracuse Orange basketball capitalized on that. Any college town/city that becomes a professional sports city it weakens the college sports team unless they are winning national championships year after year or they are Los Angeles that is a huge market with lots of corporate sponsors money. Austin has MLS right now but NFL goes in there Texas Longhorns football are like UNLV basketball in the 1970’s through 1990’s. Once Austin gets that taste Texas will be weaken especially since they aren’t what they once were now. See Memphis State Tigers basketball when the NBA went there. Minnesota Golden Gophers football when the Minnesota Vikings arrived, the Little Three basketball here in Western New York when the Buffalo Bills, Sabres and Braves arrived. You put NFL in Columbus, Ohio turn off the lights with Ohio State dominance. Washington Huskies haven’t done zip since the Seattle Seahawks and Seattle Mariners came to town. Texas Longhorns exist as triple a football once the NFL and Major League Baseball takes a big scoop of money out of the ad revenue of Texas starts to dry up and they start to lose market share. It is a very solid take. Alabama if the NFL went to Birmingham, Alabama it would weaken Alabama Crimson Tide football. Again they will exist but it weakens the college sports once major league sports come to cities. There are very few exceptions to that rule in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

1. Did you just really try to compare/equate Austin to Syracuse?

2. You really do not understand college football in the South.

3. Do you have any clue about football in Texas? I mean the state, not just the school.

Edited by Cynical
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 7/4/2023 at 2:42 PM, I am leaving for good said:

You might be correct and my guess is that you know more about the Big 12 than I do. That said, UT has a TON of money. I think that now that NIL is in full bloom they will almost always be in contention.

• Like (+1) 1

Colorado is headed back to the Big XII next season (2024) penalty free, after the TV contract with the PAC-12 expires at the end of this season (2023-24). That makes only nine teams for the PAC-12 next year (with the upcoming loss of USC and UCLA to the Big 10 (B1G)). Who's next?

4 hours ago, chongli said:

Colorado is headed back to the Big XII next season (2024) penalty free, after the TV contract with the PAC-12 expires at the end of this season (2023-24). That makes only nine teams for the PAC-12 next year (with the upcoming loss of USC and UCLA to the Big 10 (B1G)). Who's next?

Who is left for the PAC (insert number here) to pick up? Without USC and UCLA it's sort of wack already. San Diego St? Boise St? UNLV? BYU would have made some sense but they already made their move.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Who is left for the PAC (insert number here) to pick up? Without USC and UCLA it's sort of wack already. San Diego St? Boise St? UNLV? BYU would have made some sense but they already made their move.

San Diego St wanted to join the PAC 12, even notifying the MW conference they were leaving.

But, SDSU decided not to leave, and wanted to remain in the MW.

https://www.axios.com/local/san-diego/2023/07/19/san-diego-state-university-mountain-west

As for the Big12, rumors are AZ, ASU, and Utah also want to jump ship from the PAC possibly to the Big 12.

If that happens, the PAC would be toast.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/28/2023 at 8:36 AM, Cynical said:

San Diego St wanted to join the PAC 12, even notifying the MW conference they were leaving.

But, SDSU decided not to leave, and wanted to remain in the MW.

https://www.axios.com/local/san-diego/2023/07/19/san-diego-state-university-mountain-west

As for the Big12, rumors are AZ, ASU, and Utah also want to jump ship from the PAC possibly to the Big 12.

If that happens, the PAC would be toast.

That's crazy!

What can the PAC do?

On 7/3/2023 at 12:02 AM, Mark Vader said:

Brigham Young & Cincinnati I believe have shown enough to be in a big conference.

Central Florida & Houston, have to wait and see.

BYU is gonna get eaten alive now that they can't schedule all their games 

They will be a meddling B12 team even after Okl and UT move ... They will be behind OkSt.. TCU.. Kansas state , probably TTech and Baylor and Kansas lol

They might be battling last place 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/3/2023 at 12:47 AM, Mark Vader said:

That's crazy!

What can the PAC do?

At some point, it appears the commissioner floated $50M per year per school if the conference switched from network tv rights to one of the subscription based streaming services.

The PAC has been negotiating with Apple TV, and the number turned out to be $20M annually.

In comparison, the Big 12 recently signed new contracts with ESPN and Fox, getting their programs $32M annually.

It's easy to see why schools want out of the PAC 12.

Ironically, in hindsight, UT and OU leaving the Big 12 may have been best thing to happen for the Big 12's survival.

They can now spread the tv money equally among the schools, and come across as being a stable conference.

• Like (+1) 1

Pretty gross to see what’s happening.  

I live in SEC country, and there’s at least still the passion and rivalry, along with (somewhat) of a geographic relevance to the conference, but my college is Syracuse.. and it’s only a matter of time before the ACC implodes with FSU/Clemson to the SEC and UNC/NC State to the B1G.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Pretty gross to see what’s happening.  

I live in SEC country, and there’s at least still the passion and rivalry, along with (somewhat) of a geographic relevance to the conference, but my college is Syracuse.. and it’s only a matter of time before the ACC implodes with FSU/Clemson to the SEC and UNC/NC State to the B1G.  

Well, if they are intent on doing stupid:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/acc-amends-revenue-distribution-model-incentivizing-postseason-success-for-money-making-sports/

So we’ll have a big 10 East and big 10 west.  Essentially it’s big10 in the big10 East and pac12 in the big10 west. And then they compete in a conference championship game for a playoff spot.  

then we will have the SEC north (ACC) and SEC south (SEC) and the same will happen there.  

That’s what should have happened years ago.  And a couple wildcard slots too.  Sounds about perfect to me!

(I kind of hate what is happening in college football overall - but this seems to be the right “end”. I just hate the “means”. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.