Playoff offense is just as much an issue as defense

Mikie2times

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I dispute this

Allen is significantly more responsible for the Bills success than McDermott

similarly McDermott will be fired before Allen because he's more replaceable, not because he's singularly responsible for victory or defeat

It was McDermott and Beane who brought in Allen and made his development possible.  So it is they who get the credit for the team success, they are the ones that move the chess pieces. 

36 minutes ago, FireChans said:

A great coach can raise your floor. A great QB can raise your floor and ceiling. That’s how I’ve always seen it.

That's a good way of putting it

11 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

It was McDermott and Beane who brought in Allen and made his development possible.  So it is they who get the credit for the team success, they are the ones that move the chess pieces. 

Disagree 100%

16 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

McB definitely should get credit for selecting Josh.  There's no denying that.  But 100% of his development was because of Dabol.  McDermott doesn't know jack squat about offense and he wasn't the guy in there telling Josh area's to work on. We're now at the point in Josh's career where 80% or more of our wins are because of Josh, not any amazing tactical strategy drawn out by McD.  You remove Josh from the equation and immediately the Bills become a 6-7 win team.  

• Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

McB definitely should get credit for selecting Josh.  There's no denying that.  But 100% of his development was because of Dabol.  McDermott doesn't know jack squat about offense and he wasn't the guy in there telling Josh area's to work on. We're now at the point in Josh's career where 80% or more of our wins are because of Josh, not any amazing tactical strategy drawn out by McD.  You remove Josh from the equation and immediately the Bills become a 6-7 win team.  

Let’s be clear. The only facts on this topic are the won-loss records that i cited in my post. 

everything else, no matter how definitively it is stated, is conjecture and speculation. 

“100% of Josh’sdevelopment” “80% of our wins are due to Josh ; Bills are a 6-7 win team without Josh” is stated as a fact, but it’s complete speculation.

Ie, bullcrap. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Let’s be clear. The only facts on this topic are the won-loss records that i cited in my post. 

everything else, no matter how definitively it is stated, is conjecture and speculation. 

“100% of Josh’sdevelopment” “80% of our wins are due to Josh ; Bills are a 6-7 win team without Josh” is stated as a fact, but it’s complete speculation.

Ie, bullcrap. 

No it's called common sense. 

9 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

That's a good way of putting it

Disagree 100%

That’s okay, but it doesn’t change what happened, 

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

McB brought in Dabol…, and Dabol did what he was hired to do, Beane and McDermott are the ones moving the chess pieces on the board, like it or not it was they who brought in the pieces, they orchestrated the whole thing, there is no way to get around this fact. 

I also have been vocal on this board that Frazier should be shown the door, and that Beane has neglected the O-line, they make mistakes like ALL GMs & HCs , But McB get the credit for what goes right, they are the ones who put then pieces in play..

Edited by Don Otreply

On 6/30/2023 at 12:53 PM, JerseyBills said:

I was born in late 80s . I love what we did on D this off season,  most important thing is pass rush. That's how you disrupt an elite O. Add Von ,Floyd, to that Bengal game,  who knows what turnovers they cause or better field position they'd give us. Add in Daquan and Ford and are the Bengals able to run on us like that? I doubt it. Yes the O is huge but to totally discount the d is ridiculous 

I agree on the defensive side, but I can’t ignore the pathetic showing on offense.  I’m only cautiously hopeful Sherfield, Harty, DK2, and Harris as well as year 2 for Cook will be the difference.  What I am confident about is McGovern and Mt. O’Cyrus will make a difference.

6 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

That’s okay, but it doesn’t change what happened, 

McB brought in Dabol…, and Dabol did what he was hired to do, Beane and McDermott are the ones moving the chess pieces on the board, like it or not it was they who brought in the pieces, they orchestrated the whole thing, there is no way to get around this fact. 

It's great to be able to set up the chess pieces.  But at some point you gotta be able to play.  Sean's strategic abilities in big games are lacking.  Houston and 13 seconds are 2 classic examples of probably winning if we had a better tactician. That will always be my argument.  As an administrator of process, character and culture he will always be the greatest coach in Bills history.  But there's more to coaching than just " human resources".

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It's great to be able to set up the chess pieces.  But at some point you gotta be able to play.  Sean's strategic abilities in big games are lacking.  Houston and 13 seconds are 2 classic examples of probably winning if we had a better tactician. That will always be my argument.  As an administrator of process, character and culture he will always be the greatest coach in Bills history.  But there's more to coaching than just " human resources".

Before my time but I would think Saban is the greatest HC in Bills history. Back-to-back AFL championships in 64 and 65. Only coach to win a championship for Buffalo.

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

True, but if ya don’t hire the right people, and bring good players the majority of the time what have you got then? It is McB that do these things. McDermott has coached very well, and Beane has been a good GM, do they have short comings? Yup, they sure do (namely in the post season) and I have been vocal about that on this board, wanting Frazier shown the door and the seasonal O-line issues etc, but McB are the ones who put it all together, they get the credit, and the blame. It appears that McDermott is taking the bull by the horns this upcoming season, and Beane made notable strides to improve the offense, they too can learn, to slowly for us fans though…, 😁

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

True, but if ya don’t hire the right people, and bring good players the majority of the time what have you got then? It is McB that do these things. McDermott has coached very well, and Beane has been a good GM, do they have short comings? Yup, they sure do (namely in the post season) and I have been vocal about that on this board, wanting Frazier shown the door and the seasonal O-line issues etc, but McB are the ones who put it all together, they get the credit, and the blame. It appears that McDermott is taking the bull by the horns this upcoming season, and Beane made notable strides to improve the offense, they too can learn, to slowly for us fans though…, 😁

I agree wholeheartedly. It's like the expression " you can buy the groceries but can you cook the meal"?  I love that they both finally identified that the OL desperately needed upgrades. And they also made offensive upgrades to players like Singletary,  McKenzie and Kumerow/Crowder that should help.  As much as I critique Sean's post season record,   I'm optimistic he does well this season.

• Like (+1) 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2023 at 6:14 PM, snamsnoops said:

So he is taking us to another 4 straight SB's... I'm ok with this I guess... I mean, seeing he is 2.0 version (guessing this is and upgraded version, seeing he is 2.0?) he should be able to win 1 or 2 SB's this time around... AMIRIGHT?!

Guess this comment went over your head. We went to 4 straight super bowls because we had hall of famers all over the field. We lost all 4 because Marv was at best a mediocre coach that Ralph hired because he didn’t  have to pay him that much. McDermott has been outclassed in lots of playoff and regular season games. It will be painfully obvious that McDermott isn’t a top 15 coach this year. 

Edited by Rocbillsfan1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/30/2023 at 12:26 PM, Mikie2times said:

Replaying the 4th quarter of the Patriots AFC Championship game at Arrowhead, it became clear just how much the final outcome can cloud the perceptions of how it occurred.

In that AFC Championship game, final score, 37-31 ending in a New England win. New England scored to take a 3 point lead with 39 seconds left. It took Mahomes and the Chiefs 16 seconds to get into position to kick the game tying FG from inside the 25. New England would win the toss and score on it's first drive to win the game in OT. No talk of 16 seconds, they won the game. In the process of winning the game, despite having seen Brady do this for the better part of the last 20 years it was impossible to not see the level of precision it took to sustain drives. He was completing passes in the 4th quarter we aren't even attempting. KC had DB's painted on NE WR's and one of the best pass rushes in the league in KC that year had no ability at touch Brady with how quick he was getting the ball out. The level of efficiency on offense that it took to win that game was mind boggling.  

KC won the Super Bowl the next year and they didn't do so because they suddenly figured out a way to solve those defensive issues. They did so because Mahomes led an offense as clutch and consistent as any QB we have seen since Brady.

Over in our neck of the woods, Josh and the offenses performance in 13 seconds and multiple defensive meltdowns have left us putting the failure of this team squarely on the defenses back. Hogwash. The only year we showed in our losses that we could sustain drives offensively was 2021. We were not able to come back like the Chiefs and execute at that level before or since. To win the Super Bowl you need that level of performance. Ask Philadelphia if you think otherwise.

2019 =Our offense scored 19 points in a loss to Houston including 6 points in the second half

2020 =Our offense puts up 9 points in the final 4 minutes to make a 38-15 score look respectable, but anybody watching that game knew we sputtered 

2022 =Our offense puts up 10 points against the Bengals at home

We can talk about the defense until we are blue in the face. We will have to perform at a 2021 level for an entire playoff run on offense to have any chance at this. In doing so, we need to be able to efficiently march the ball down field. Something we really haven't done since the back half of 2021.  The defense has sucked in the playoffs, but the offense has as well. If we only allow 13 to the Bengals and they win 13-10, this is completely different perception. But that's all this is right now. A perception that the defense is preventing us from going further. At the end of the day the offense will be what decides this. 

One loss in the playoffs is primarily the offense, the Cincinnati game, the other games were clearly on the defense in the McD era. I am not happy about it since he has created a great regular season defense but what kind of stupidity is this? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.