How long does it take an NFL head coach to reach his 1st Super Bowl?

Einstein

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

is it my ignorance and simplemindedness or do i distinctly remember Sean McDermott naming Nathan Peterman starter over Josh Allen lol

but yes we must always try to give credit where it's due

Are you trying to infer that because McD started Peterman, he wasn't on board with the Josh Allen pick? That he was going to push his 5th round QB from the prior year over #7 overall Josh Allen because Peterman was his pick and Josh was Brandon's pick? lol

Since McDermott brought Brandon Beane on, they have been a team. There is no way Brandon drafted a QB that McD didn't at least sign off on. And more likely, they dissected the QBs together and made the decision hand-in-hand. Peterman was starting because he had a year under his belt and Josh was a very raw rookie. Remember it was a rebuild year after a purge, they weren't expecting to go on a playoff run or anything. I guarantee you that the plan was always to work Josh into the starting line-up sometime that season, but they were hoping Peterman could buy them some time in letting Josh settle in and acclimate himself to the NFL. It's a big jump from Wyoming. Unfortunately, Nathan couldn't provide that and Josh was forced in earlier than planned.

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

I concede and am willing to consider McDermott on the same level as Mike Sherman and Coryell

👍 I wish we could do double emojis so I could both like and laugh at your post. 😆

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

is it my ignorance and simplemindedness or do i distinctly remember Sean McDermott naming Nathan Peterman starter over Josh Allen lol

but yes we must always try to give credit where it's due

WHOA! Look! The argument has changed once AGAIN!  This is almost dizzying! YES, McD was there for the drafting of Josh. You were wrong. Are you trying to gloss over that you were wrong there by bringing up Peterman? Who was talking about Peterman? Not me. You just want to bash McD, regardless of the facts. That’s sad and disappointing. 

You were wrong about McD being involved in the drafting of Josh (I suspect you were thinking mistakenly of Beane), but rather than own up to that, you try to blame McD for playing Mr Peterman. We have skipped topics yet again! Your goalposts are incredibly mobile and elusive! This is how people lose any credibility whatsoever, but I won’t speak to your ignorance or simple mindedness. You don’t need me for that. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Augie

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

WHOA! Look! The argument has changed once AGAIN!  This is almost dizzying! YES, McD was there for the drafting of Josh. Are you glossing over that you were wrong there by bringing up Peterman? Who was talking about Peterman? Not me. You just want to bash McD, regardless of the facts. That’s sad and disappointing. 

You were wrong about McD being involved in the drafting of Josh (I suspect you were thinking mistakenly of Beane), but rather than own up to that, you try to blame McD for playing Mr Peterman. We have skipped topics again! The goalposts are incredibly mobile and elusive! This is how people lose any credibility whatsoever, but I won’t speak to your ignorance or simple mindedness. You don’t need me for that. 🤷‍♂️

At this point getting called ignorant and simpleminded by you on this subject is basically a Nobel Prize

• Haha (+1) 1

I have read through most, but not all, responses to the OP, and I am amazed at the number of people who are defending McD as if he's the second coming of Knute Rockne. The personal attacks on Einstein for simply posting up some intuitive facts are very disappointing too.

McD (and Frazier) should have been fired after the 13 second debacle. As some folks (who do not have their Bills blinders on) have noted, his performance in playoff games has been mediocre at best. And if the Bills don't get to the SB THIS YEAR, he definitely needs to get the axe.

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Those were your words, not mine. 

6 hours ago, Augie said:

Speaking of missing the point, it’s a whole bunch of things, and McD is one. He arrived in 2017, with josh drafted in 2018. So YES, he was A PART of drafting Allen. But I don’t like to put all the credit or all the blame in one place, because that would be ignorant and simple minded. 

Just now, GoBills808 said:

As quoted from you, if you recall. It’s like you’re not even trying to make a decent point, just be argumentative and combative, while playing your little hide the goalpost game.

I’m done with this.  You are lost, and it’s not my place to show you the light. I see why so many people enjoy the ignore feature. 

3 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

I have read through most, but not all, responses to the OP, and I am amazed at the number of people who are defending McD as if he's the second coming of Knute Rockne. The personal attacks on Einstein for simply posting up some intuitive facts are very disappointing too.

McD (and Frazier) should have been fired after the 13 second debacle. As some folks (who do not have their Bills blinders on) have noted, his performance in playoff games has been mediocre at best. And if the Bills don't get to the SB THIS YEAR, he definitely needs to get the axe.

It seems to me the attacks on Einstein are not because he "posted some intuitive facts."  He's attacked because he sometimes presents himself as if he's superior to others.  Right or wrong, hubris tends to attract negative responses.  I suspect he'd be better treated by his mafia brothers & sisters if he practiced more humility and kindness.  

I personally agree with many of Einstein's take.  Just not this one.  I think it's unwise to fire the coach with the highest winning percentage in Bills history.  If McD's record in the playoffs isn't stellar, let's admit his roster wasn't stellar.  The playoff teams we lost to had just as much talent as we did.   In fact, I don't think there's been a year yet when we entered the playoffs with the most talented roster in the AFC so Lombardi expectations were always a stretch in my opinion.   You're right about this: people wear Bills blinders.  Some fans are overestimating our roster's strengths while underestimating its weaknesses.  

With most of the HCs in Bills' history, I thought our chances of winning a SB were slim to none.  In the three years since Josh has emerged, I felt our chances of winning a Lombardi have improved to maybe 10% or so - better than most teams but hardly a slam dunk.  Both Beane and McD have unfinished work to do and I'd like to give them the opportunity to do it.   I'm not calling McD the second coming of Knute Rockne and I don't think anyone else is either.  Given the positive changes he's already wrought, we just want to give him more time.  

3 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Sorry, Bob.  Most everyone agrees that Einstein is entitled to his opinion, as are you.  

Where people disagree with him is that he thinks he can prove that McDermott can't win a Super Bowl in Buffalo because no head coach ever won a Super Bowl after five seasons with his first team.  There is no logic that supports that conclusion. 

No head coach in Buffalo ever won a Super Bowl.  So does that mean that no head coach in Buffalo ever will?  It's the same faulty logic.  The fact that something hasn't happened doesn't mean that it never will happen.  

EVERYTHING never happened until it did.  Nobody walked in the moon until someone did.  

What he is trying to prove is simply wrong.  Whether he or you believe McDermott never will win is beside the point..  He cannot prove it will not happen. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2023 at 10:49 PM, Shaw66 said:

Bowl after five seasons with his first team. 

This is not a meaningful metric.  It is meaningful though that no QB/HC combo since the 70;s has made their first Super Bowl after year 4.   There are lots and lots of statistical samples for that particular metric.  There is  a first time for everything, of course.  But most head coaches when given a truly elite QB talent, get there pretty promptly.  Some like Dan Reeves (to me the best McDermott comp) never get there with their super star QB.   Guys like Marty Shottenheimer or Marvin Lewis really never got that super star QB. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.