Kaiir Elam Interview By Cover 1, great insight into his development last year and prep for 2023.

stosh64

I was disappointed in him early in the season and really didn't fully grasp how much he improved late until I read that PFF named him their Bills Breakout Player of 2023.  And he seems in the vid to have a high football IQ.   

"Despite being a first-round pick in 2022, Elam failed to become a starting cornerback by the start of the season and had an inconsistent rookie year. However, as a former first-round pick, he should have plenty of opportunities to win that position battle. He also finished the season strong, flipping his 56.7 PFF grade in the regular season to 87.1 in two playoff games, a mark that would have ranked second among cornerbacks in the regular season."

www.pff.com/news/nfl-breakout-candidates-all-16-afc-teams-chiefs-kadarius-toney-steelers-kenny-pickett#BUF

6 hours ago, colin said:

i trust our team to draft, sign, and develop secondary players better than literally anyone else.

Ironically, this may be Elam's biggest hurdle.

We saw plenty of flashes during his rookie season.  But the main reason he couldn't secure the job last year (or yet this offseason), is because the Bills have also gotten strong play out of their 6th Round CB from the same draft.  Not to mention that 7th Round corner they started developing a couple years back won't go away without a fight.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

That's true. 

But answer me this - if the Chiefs didn't think we were going to pick McDuffie, why would they move ahead of us? They could have moved behind us, and not wasted a third rounder. Patriots clearly didn't want a CB (they traded the pick). And GB didnt need one (they went LB). The Titans and Bucs were willing to trade their picks (and did).

They clearly moved ahead of us because they felt we wanted their guy. It's the same reason we moved ahead of Dallas. We had information that they wanted Kincaid.

The Titan WERE a potential CB team and took McCreary early in round 2. Also the Chiefs thad already got comfortable with the idea of the compensation to get to #21. And then rather than being left with the 4th of their guys there the 3rd was sitting there for them. Totally plausible that they said "well we were willing to do this for Elam and we like McDuffie more so it'd be mad not to."

The fact that the Bills were in the corner market likely played a part. But I don't at all think the evidence supports "the Chiefs just wanted to jump the Bills specifically for McDuffie."

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

I hear you. But I think part of the reason the staff didn’t give Elam more playing time is because of his poor play.

For example, Elam played 80% of the defensive snaps in the first 6 games. Then his usage went down. As if the coaches said “we have seen enough”.

And it’s not a rookie thing. Because Benford, another rookie, was played more (when healthy).

Not late in the year. Elam played in playoff games. Benford was a healthy scratch. Benford was better early. Elam was better late.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I don't doubt you GB.  You are one of the very best posters on this site.

But aren't you a bit distant from the action?  Have you ever even been to Buffalo?  

Nope. But I met someone at an NFLUK event the night we drafted Sammy who is very well connected former position coach in the NFL. And one of his connections was on the Bills.

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Titan WERE a potential CB team and took McCreary early in round 2. Also the Chiefs thad already got comfortable with the idea of the compensation to get to #21. And then rather than being left with the 4th of their guys there the 3rd was sitting there for them. Totally plausible that they said "well we were willing to do this for Elam and we like McDuffie more so it'd be mad not to."

The fact that the Bills were in the corner market likely played a part. But I don't at all think the evidence supports "the Chiefs just wanted to jump the Bills specifically for McDuffie."

Not late in the year. Elam played in playoff games. Benford was a healthy scratch. Benford was better early. Elam was better late.

Good quality responses, thanks.

I wish you would stop being goaded by a certain poser into his/hew negative slants of Elam & the draft, I think we wlll "get it" already.

What I would really like you to answer which CBs we cut and/or put on the practice squad.  We have some depth now and including even our 7th rd Alex Austin looks intriguing.  I think he gets poached from the PS if we try and hide him there.  What are your thoughts?

An interesting part was when Elam said he just started watching film on veteran CB's in the league. He said he's watching guys that may have lost a step and really focusing on their technique and how they still play at a high level.

For a kid coming from a college team where he played basically all man to a team that runs a ton of zone, he had a steep learning curve, which we all knew. He's also mentioned how he had to get out of his head and realize it was going to take time and not get down on himself. Considering those two factors, I'm not at all surprised he struggled to start the season.

I'm very excited for a healthy Tre and a second year Elam.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I guess we will probably never know for certain.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Benford came off of IR only a week before the playoffs. That’s why he wasn’t playing. He hadn’t seen any meaningful action in 6 weeks and needed time to acclimate. This staff especially has a long-standing tradition of slow walking guys back from injury.

But I do agree that Elam played well in the playoffs.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

What I would really like you to answer which CBs we cut and/or put on the practice squad.  We have some depth now and including even our 7th rd Alex Austin looks intriguing.  I think he gets poached from the PS if we try and hide him there.  What are your thoughts?

Barring injury, this is pretty simple. There is very little room for surprise.

Tre, Elam, Taron, Dane, Benford, Siran, and Cam.

Austin is an intriguing prospect but he was also one of the last picks in the draft. Not sure a team that wasn’t willing to spend a 7th round pick on him would be poach him to an active roster (which is what would have to happen if he was taken from our practice squad) before ever seeing action. I guess he could choose to sign to another PS before signing our offer but why?

33 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Barring injury, this is pretty simple. There is very little room for surprise.

Tre, Elam, Taron, Dane, Benford, Siran, and Cam.

Austin is an intriguing prospect but he was also one of the last picks in the draft. Not sure a team that wasn’t willing to spend a 7th round pick on him would be poach him to an active roster (which is what would have to happen if he was taken from our practice squad) before ever seeing action. I guess he could choose to sign to another PS before signing our offer but why?

That was a question for Gunnerbill but I appreciate the reasoned response.

I know where he was drafted, I think he was more upside than many.  You have 7 CBs, seems too many, at least one has to go to PS.  As Belichek the evil overlord said, you can never have too may cornerbacks,  Injuries etc.  

13 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

That was a question for Gunnerbill but I appreciate the reasoned response.

I know where he was drafted, I think he was more upside than many.  You have 7 CBs, seems too many, at least one has to go to PS.  As Belichek the evil overlord said, you can never have too may cornerbacks,  Injuries etc.  

I think they carry 6 corners. I think Cam Lewis will end up elsewhere. Austin I think probably is a PS guy unless he really balls out in camp. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Ironically, this may be Elam's biggest hurdle.

We saw plenty of flashes during his rookie season.  But the main reason he couldn't secure the job last year (or yet this offseason), is because the Bills have also gotten strong play out of their 6th Round CB from the same draft.  Not to mention that 7th Round corner they started developing a couple years back won't go away without a fight.

Yep agreed. Elam's main issue is that Benford is overachieving, and this staff won't ignore that

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Nope. But I met someone at an NFLUK event the night we drafted Sammy who is very well connected former position coach in the NFL. And one of his connections was on the Bills.

Are they still there? McBeane cleaned house and there's very few leaks anymore. The "insiders" rarely get Bills news. 

I know a lot of former players, some still employed by the Bills. They say the same thing. Since Beane got here they don't talk about their plans. Why they got rid of Scott Birchtold. Before I could finish saying "Hi, how have you been" he would already have 5 stories about what happened this week. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Are they still there? McBeane cleaned house and there's very few leaks anymore. The "insiders" rarely get Bills news. 

I know a lot of former players, some still employed by the Bills. They say the same thing. Since Beane got here they don't talk about their plans. Why they got rid of Scott Birchtold. Before I could finish saying "Hi, how have you been" he would already have 5 stories about what happened this week. 

They are. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Are you going to the event in London tonight? Gabe Davis is one of the players on show. 

5 minutes ago, BritBill said:

Are you going to the event in London tonight? Gabe Davis is one of the players on show. 

No, I'm not, wasn't even aware it was on haha. Is it a ticketed thing? That said, Friday night is curry night with the other half and I'll be in trouble if I cancel that for Bills reasons. 

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They are. 

So you met a former position coach for a team who wasn't the Bills one time ten years ago who is privy to inside information regarding the Bills draft targets and strategy and freely shares it with you?  I 100% believe the story is true, but I don't think that's a reliable enough narrator to simply take it at face value that McDuffie was never a consideration as a draft target for Buffalo.

Edited by Billl

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

So you met a former position coach for a team who wasn't the Bills one time ten years ago who is privy to inside information regarding the Bills draft targets are strategy and freely shares it with you?  I 100% believe the story is true, but I don't think that's a reliable enough narrator to simply take it at face value that McDuffie was never a consideration as a draft target for Buffalo.

He is very good friends and I mean very good friends with someone who is still on the Bills staff. And none of the stuff he has ever shared with me has been in advance..... it has always been after the event... he isn't leaking draft intel 3 weeks before the draft, but multiple examples have later then been corroborated either by the team themselves or by mainstream NFL journos like Albert Breer and Peter King. You can attach whatever weight to it you like, I know I believe him. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No, I'm not, wasn't even aware it was on haha. Is it a ticketed thing? That said, Friday night is curry night with the other half and I'll be in trouble if I cancel that for Bills reasons. 

The Mermaid Theatre at 19:30. Just say you're taking them to a stage show before the curry 👍

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.