Josh maybe the 11th highest paid QB soon

This is good news as long as Josh Allen himself is  OK with the ranking.  The more QBs get paid, the higher it will drive the cap.  The higher the cap goes, the smaller the percentage of Buffalo's cap will go toward paying Josh Allen.  The smaller the percentage of Buffalo's cap being spent on Josh Allen, the more money is available to sign quality players to maintain team excellence and keep playoff aspirations intact.

Remember when Flacco bet on himself, went on to win the Super Bowl and was rewarded with a 6-year $120M deal?

That was only 10 short years ago.

$20M a year for the highest paid player of all-time a decade a go, to $50M+ 9 years later with Deshaun, lol.

Josh’s contract was more than Mahomes in Mahomes’ first 6 years. Pat has a higher AAV over his 10 year deal, but Josh got paid more when comparing the first 6 years of the two. There was no discount given to the Bills, but it is great that he was locked up a year before those exorbitant contracts were given to those other QBs. Will his approach for his next contract mirror Mahomes and Burrow insofar as “I have no problem with a deal that doesn’t cripple the team,” or will he want top dollar? I guess we’ll worry about that in 3 or 4 years. 

7 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Joe Burrow's contract negotiations are going to be very interesting. Mike Brown doesn't have enough cash on hand to put into escrow to pay both him and Chase long-term top-dollar deals. I think both will get shorter deals just to keep the escrow down. 

A shorter deal ends up being better for the QB and worse for the team. Mike Brown should go for as long a deal as he can get Burrow to sign. Chase doesn't even need to enter the equation yet. But if I am the Bengals I possibly try and deal him towards the end of his contract like the Chiefs did with Hill. 

9 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

No he signed him after his 3rd year, that was the leap that not all teams have made it and it certainly saved the Bills some money. 

Recent history says otherwise. Wentz, Goff, Mahomes and Watson ALL were paid new deals before the start of their 4th season. Beane was hardly being contrarian. In that time frame, the only QB that has showed something and not been paid before their 4th season was Jackson. After Allen, both Murray and Hurts were paid after 3 seasons. And we assume Burrow and Herbert will as well. 

9 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

More than half iirc

In fairness........the Ravens let Lamar Jackson play out his deal and proabably saved a lot of money doing it that way.    Lamar certainly didn't come out on top waiting 2 years.

Not saying that's the way to go........I think Lamar basically refused to play late last season due to "lack of contrack" and the Ravens were actually pretty good and probably would have beaten the Bengals in the playoffs with him and who knows from there...........so while they got out of paying him big money for 2 years and probably won't have to re-sign him again now before his legs are spent......... it certainly didn't work out overall despite the money saved.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

1. Lamar Jackson 

2. Jalen Hurts

3. Aaron Rogers

4. Russell Wilson 

5 Kyler Murray

6 Deshawn Watson

7 Patrick Mahomes

8 Josh 

soon to jump up

Joe Burrow

Justin Herbert 

next year 

Trevor Lawrence 

We get on Brandon from time to time but just an amazing job by the front office to lock Josh up early he’s looking more and more like they shopped at Walmart for a franchise QB. 

At some point, more money doesn't change your lifestyle. 

16 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Josh’s contract was more than Mahomes in Mahomes’ first 6 years. Pat has a higher AAV over his 10 year deal, but Josh got paid more when comparing the first 6 years of the two. There was no discount given to the Bills, but it is great that he was locked up a year before those exorbitant contracts were given to those other QBs. Will his approach for his next contract mirror Mahomes and Burrow insofar as “I have no problem with a deal that doesn’t cripple the team,” or will he want top dollar? I guess we’ll worry about that in 3 or 4 years. 

Burrow?

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Burrow?

Yeah, he’s refusing to talk about his contract now, but earlier he made some comments about wanting to keep his guys for the majority of his career and that he’d be open to a team friendly deal. That was months ago. We’ll see what the numbers on his new contract look like to see if he was FoS. Everyone wants their QB to take less like Brady, but it’s difficult to do when you know you’re worth more than that and you see (lesser) peers making much more than you. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.