Rams Coach Raheem Morris Helps Save Boy's Life, Credits AED Training Following Hamlin Injury

Allen2Diggs

Morris and his family were at the pool at the Encore Las Vegas when a young boy went under the water. The 3-year-old had no pulse when he was taken out of the pool by his father.

A lifeguard began CPR as Morris rushed over to help.

“I saw people calling 911, so my first question was, where is the AED?” Morris told ESPN.

Morris retrieved the automatic external defibrillator.

“When I got back, we had a doctor on site who was able to start the compressions,” Morris said. “I was able to hand the AED to him, get it open for him, put the pads on the child, and he ended up being OK.”

Morris credited the Rams’ recent CPR, AED and first aid training. Reggie Scott, the team’s vice president of sports medicine and performance, facilitated the session as part of league-wide training following Bills safety Damar Hamlin‘s cardiac arrest on the field last season.

Doctors in Las Vegas discharged the young boy from the hospital 24 hours after his near-drowning.

“I’m just thankful I knew what to do,” Morris said. “You just never know when you’re going to need that stuff.”

Edited by Allen2Diggs
  • Awesome! (+1) 35

Raheem Morris helped save the life of a drowning child

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2023/5/31/23744788/news-rams-raheem-morris-helped-save-life-drowning-child-las-vegas-angeles

The child was reportedly pulled from the pool with little to no pulse and Morris, who credited his training with AED devices and CPR was able to assist a doctor on scene.

• Thank you (+1) 2

• Allen2Diggs changed the title to Rams Coach Raheem Morris Helps Save Boy's Life, Credits AED Training Following Hamlin Injury
2 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Morris and his family were at the pool at the Encore Las Vegas when a young boy went under the water. The 3-year-old had no pulse when he was taken out of the pool by his father.

A lifeguard began CPR as Morris rushed over to help.

“I saw people calling 911, so my first question was, where is the AED?” Morris told ESPN.

Morris retrieved the automatic external defibrillator.

“When I got back, we had a doctor on site who was able to start the compressions,” Morris said. “I was able to hand the AED to him, get it open for him, put the pads on the child, and he ended up being OK.”

Morris credited the Rams’ recent CPR, AED and first aid training. Reggie Scott, the team’s vice president of sports medicine and performance, facilitated the session as part of league-wide training following Bills safety Damar Hamlin‘s cardiac arrest on the field last season.

Doctors in Las Vegas discharged the young boy from the hospital 24 hours after his near-drowning.

“I’m just thankful I knew what to do,” Morris said. “You just never know when you’re going to need that stuff.”

This is so cool.  Morris had a checklist in his head, thanks to his training, someone called 911 (check), someone doing chest compressions (check), Morris knew about AEDs and went to get it.

It's awesome that he got the training and applied it successfully, vs. learning that 911 had been called and someone being there to do chest compressions and just standing about.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

This training should be free.

i remember during college i called the red cross to get the training.  just, because.   I would like to know CPR just in case.  its an available thing to learn, i might need it one day, so i have zero reason not to.

Found out they charge for it.  and it wasnt cheap.  probably the equivalent of $95 today.  I have looked into it a couple times since college and its still a pay class, and its still nowhere near cheap. 

Not politics here, but of all of the free government programs, public libraries is always number 1

but lifesaving should be waaaaaaaaay up there.

Edited by maddenboy

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

exactly.  The takeaway here is start CPR immediately when determined no pulse or breathing.  Don’t run off looking for the AED.  

Someone had already called 911

The lifeguard was performing chest compressions initially, later a doctor took over the chest compressions.

Under those circumstances, running off to look for the AED was the exact appropriate thing to do

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Someone had already called 911

The lifeguard was performing chest compressions initially, later a doctor took over the chest compressions.

Under those circumstances, running off to look for the AED was the exact appropriate thing to do

I read that, yes

I was commenting on another post about the importance of knowing basic CPR (and the quote: "I saw people calling 911, so my first question was, where is the AED?”).

It's more important than knowing where the AED is if you are first on the scene.  that's all.  Also, in those circumstances (of drowning), victims rarely have a shockable rhythm.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.