Jim Nantz shoutout

AlfaBill

Nantz is an unmatched maestro.    He really gave sincere props to Roc and Oak Hill.  Both were totally deserving.  This course was pure perfection--they were able to play through steady rain without a delay--the drainage design was genius.  The layout was challenging (unlike the miniature golf layout at, say, Augusta) and produced an incredibly entertaining and exciting major.

• Agree 1

On 5/20/2023 at 5:20 PM, TheWeatherMan said:

I used to have ties to the Nantz family when I lived in Monterey.  Jim and Courtney are some of the nicest, most down to earth people you will ever meet.  Best sports commentator on the planet.  

I have a friend who worked in the sports industry for a long time.  He and Nantz became close friends.  My friend says the same thing about the bolded part.  I've had the opportunity to meet Nantz a couple of times, in the broadcast booth on game days, and he's just so remarkably pleasant.   When he's talking to you, there's nothing more important to him than what you have to say.  

Super guy.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I have a friend who worked in the sports industry for a long time.  He and Nantz became close friends.  My friend says the same thing about the bolded part.  I've had the opportunity to meet Nantz a couple of times, in the broadcast booth on game days, and he's just so remarkably pleasant.   When he's talking to you, there's nothing more important to him than what you have to say.  

Super guy.  

When I first met Jim I didn’t know who he was.  My son went to the same elementary school as his son and they ended up being best friends.  After a couple play dates at their mansion in Pebble Beach my wife, who was bringing my son to their house, decided to Google their names, and that is how we found out.

I mostly communicated with his wife, Courtney when dropping my son off.  She is as kind and humble as can be. I have videos of my son playing on their Par 3 in the back of their house. Their youngest daughters liked my youngest sons name so much they named their Elf on a Shelf after him. They even sent us a Christmas card one year.  Every time Jim is doing a Bills game, my son asks “Why’s Jameson’s dad on TV, is he a Bills fan?”.  After the video the OP posted, I can now tell him truthfully…yes!  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

When I first met Jim I didn’t know who he was.  My son went to the same elementary school as his son and they ended up being best friends.  After a couple play dates at their mansion in Pebble Beach my wife, who was bringing my son to their house, decided to Google their names, and that is how we found out.

I mostly communicated with his wife, Courtney when dropping my son off.  She is as kind and humble as can be. I have videos of my son playing on their Par 3 in the back of their house. Their youngest daughters liked my youngest sons name so much they named their Elf on a Shelf after him. They even sent us a Christmas card one year.  Every time Jim is doing a Bills game, my son asks “Why’s Jameson’s dad on TV, is he a Bills fan?”.  After the video the OP posted, I can now tell him truthfully…yes!  

I normally disagree with your takes on this board, but that's a terrific story and well said.

50 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I normally disagree with your takes on this board, but that's a terrific story and well said.

Honestly Doc, I’m here to read and engage in intelligent conversations about Bills football, not appease the masses.  If you disagree with my takes, it’s probably because we’ve lived different lives and see things through different lenses.  A non diverse message board where everybody sees things the same way, would be an extremely boring one.  We stand to learn more from those we disagree with.  

Glad you enjoyed my story.  🍻 

Edited by TheWeatherMan
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Cute.  No try Upstate or Central.

technically we're considered the finger lakes region now if i'm not mistaken.  buffalo is western, rochester in finger lakes, syracue in central, and albany in capital or upstate.   i think that's the break down now, but someone will correct me if i'm wrong.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, teef said:

technically we're considered the finger lakes region now if i'm not mistaken.  buffalo is western, rochester in finger lakes, syracue in central, and albany in capital or upstate.   i think that's the break down now, but someone will correct me if i'm wrong.  

That sounds about right but I always say Rochester is an extension of WNY...the dude claiming ROC was Upstate was way off though 

3 hours ago, teef said:

I know that it's been decades since I moved away, but back then Rochester was simply referred to as Upstate NY.  Heck, I thought everything above Long Island was "Upstate".  When did all this change?

15 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

That sounds about right but I always say Rochester is an extension of WNY...the dude claiming ROC was Upstate was way off though 

oh yeah.  i suppose if you live in nyc, everything is considered upstate, but at minimum it's western ny.  definitely not central.

6 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

I know that it's been decades since I moved away, but back then Rochester was simply referred to as Upstate NY.  Heck, I thought everything above Long Island was "Upstate".  When did all this change?

it's been wester ny for a very long time.  when i was in college in the 90s, i always had to explain i was from wny, because otherwise everyone thinks you're from nyc.  concerning being labeled as the "fingerlakes region", i only became aware of it during the pandemic.  they broke the state down further, and we're now the finger lakes.  i prefer it as it really is more accurate.  it take me 90 minutes to get to buffalo, but i can get in my car now and drive to canandaigua lake in about 15-20 minutes.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.