Bills 2023-24 Schedule Preview & Prediction

corta765

We are finally getting the last major piece of table set before camp and preseason as the schedule drops next week. Every year I do this piece and recap what changes in the schedule exist and what I think the Bills schedule will be.

For the record last year I nailed two weeks, was off by a week on a bunch of games, and got four of the night games right. I might not be perfect to a T, but usually I am in a good ballpark of what is on the way. Let’s kick it off with schedule changes in terms of format by the NFL:

-The NFL allows for up to 6 primetime games (any night game is primetime) and one flex. It use to be 5 night games and a flex but they increased it.

-Thursday games can be played multiple times by teams now. It usually was capped at one per team, but the NFL altered that so a team can appear more then once.

-There will be a black friday game this year free to all to see. Per Peter King of SI in todays column the fav for that game is PHI/NYG

-There is no primetime minimum for teams, if you stink you may not get any primetime games. The NFL years ago dumped the rule that every team plays on Thursday so better matches can exist.

-Monday night football will have double headers the first three weeks of the season.

-Five European games with Bills, Jags, & Titans in London and Chiefs (probably playing the Bears Nov 5th or 12th) & Pats hosting games in Frankfurt.

-You do not have to take a bye the week after going to Europe.

-Christmas Day is on a Monday and again will have 3 games spread across the day.

As for the Bills the recent interview by Sal C at WGR with Mike North VP of operations hinted strongly that the Bills will have a heavy primetime schedule again. They are in the trinity of Bills/Chiefs/Bengals which all have stud QBs and good games to show. Teams/networks cannot hold specific dates or games but they can make requests. Every team would love to open at home, have a bye week mid year, and finish at home too. The schedule isn’t perfect it’s more trying to balance some requests with league needs.

After last years chaos across the season the message I have seen is regaining normalcy and continuity from the Bills front. My guess is while the Bills know they are going to be on primetime a lot  they probably don’t ask for opening night again nor Thanksgiving. Heading to London is a task in itself and the stadium the Bills play in only have open dates Sunday October 8th or 15th so take that as you will. 

The AFC East now has the Jets with Rodgers and the Phins with a playoff team that added Jalen Ramsey. I would expect a night game vs each of them at minimum. The Patriots are probably the odd man out as they really lack star power after Matthew Judon and look to be 4th in division at this time. After playing the Pats at night three straight years   (2020 MNF, 21 MNF, 22 TNF) I think you actually see both games at 1pm as NE finally falls down the totem pole. The Bills non division schedule is loaded with quality opponents and large markets as any of DAL/NYG/PHI/WSH/CIN/KC/LAC/JAX are games that could/will be put in a primetime window without questions or 4:35 primetime Sunday spot. Buffalo has been a favorite for the mid December Saturday games since 2019 and I won’t be surprised to see that again. Last year the Bills had just 9 games at Sunday 1pm and my guess is they have the same or possibly less with the change in scheduling.

With all of that said here is my prediction:

image.thumb.png.913ea177945d23afa17bf0334c72006c.png

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I don't know if he has any legit sources (probably not) but Peter King was saying the Jets will open the season on SNF at MetLife and it was either going to be against the Bills or Eagles. 

He usually is more keyed in with some leaks, but yesterday the only thing he could say was black friday leader was NYG/PHI. My thought has still been Jets Giants on 9/11 week 1 MNF

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

He usually is more keyed in with some leaks, but yesterday the only thing he could say was black friday leader was NYG/PHI. My thought has still been Jets Giants on 9/11 week 1 MNF

The New York Post suggested a while back about the Jets vs Giants on 9/11. No rumor/speculation if the league will do that.

8 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

This would be a great schedule, but has the fatal flaw of making too much sense. 🤣

Thanks, I think it balances some fair for Buffalo and some disadvantage like end of year on the road two straight weeks. Generally I think the Bills get a pretty decent schedule with some + & -, the last time I think they got really screwed was in 2018 when they had like two home games in the first 8 games or something. 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Hasn’t it already been determined that the Bills are NOT playing Jacksonville in London? The Jaguars will be playing at Wembley whereas the Bills are playing at Tottenham stadium. 

Most of us don't know the difference including myself between those two stadiums it is just London to us/me. You are correct Jags are Wembley and Bills are Tottenham, but the NFL did pass a rule allowing the Jags to play two games this year if they want in London as they can go to Titans or Bills.

1 minute ago, BritBill said:

Just a heads up to those who like soccer as well in case the game in London is on 15 October, the England men's soccer team are playing Australia at Wembley on Friday 13 October. 

If I remember last time we were in London for the Bills game, the World Rugby Finals were going on across town that same weekend. There were sports fans everywhere! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

If I remember last time we were in London for the Bills game, the World Rugby Finals were going on across town that same weekend. There were sports fans everywhere! 

Yes, I remember that now you mention it. London had 2 FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley and the London marathon the weekend just gone. Having England play Friday and an NFL game on the Sunday will be no problem. The 15 October does make sense as there will be no Premier League games that weekend so Spurs' ground will be available. 

5 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Most of us don't know the difference including myself between those two stadiums it is just London to us/me. You are correct Jags are Wembley and Bills are Tottenham, but the NFL did pass a rule allowing the Jags to play two games this year if they want in London as they can go to Titans or Bills.

The best analogy I can come up with is Wembley is the national stadium, sort of like the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. Neither is a home stadium for a specific team. Tottenham is the actual home stadium to for the Hotspurs, sort of like SoFi stadium would be for the Rams/Chargers. Just like in Los Angeles the two stadiums are only a few miles apart from each other. Hope that helps. 

1 minute ago, BritBill said:

Yes, I remember that now you mention it. London had 2 FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley and the London marathon the weekend just gone. Having England play Friday and an NFL game on the Sunday will be no problem. The 15 October does make sense as there will be no Premier League games that weekend so Spurs' ground will be available. 

Last time we went we were able to catch a Championship League match at Fulham on Wednesday night of the week leading up to the Bills game. Do you know if the lower divisions are also on a bye during an international break? 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Last time we went we were able to catch a Championship League match at Fulham on Wednesday night of the week leading up to the Bills game. Do you know if the lower divisions are also on a bye during an international break? 

There won't be any Championship games the weekend of the 13th-15th October due to the Internationals. League One & Two will be playing.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The best analogy I can come up with is Wembley is the national stadium, sort of like the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. Neither is a home stadium for a specific team. Tottenham is the actual home stadium to for the Hotspurs, sort of like SoFi stadium would be for the Rams/Chargers. Just like in Los Angeles the two stadiums are only a few miles apart from each other. Hope that helps. 

I started watching the All or Nothing on Arsenal and I gotta say the Premier league is really cool. I didn't realize Tottenham is actually like a big deal and the Hotspurs have such a following.

Your comparison def makes sense.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, corta765 said:

I started watching the All or Nothing on Arsenal and I gotta say the Premier league is really cool. I didn't realize Tottenham is actually like a big deal and the Hotspurs have such a following.

Your comparison def makes sense.

@GunnerBill will love that. 

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Better not have another early season game in Miami.  That would be three years in a row.  Much less coming off a short week like last year which was the difference.

I am betting Buffalo finishes in Miami as they play for the division crown. Last time Bills finished on the road was 2017 in Miami so I feel we are kinda due also.

• Like (+1) 1

So we play every good team except the 49ers, some twice.  KC, PHI, and CIN away.  Lose a home game to London w/ Jacksonville.  Cool, cool.  Who was that guy talking about the Bills win total being an easy win?

Edited by Mark80

2 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

So we play every good team except the 49ers, some twice.  KC, PHI, and CIN away.  Lose a home game to London w/ Jacksonville.  Cool, cool.  Who was that guy talking about the Bills win total being an easy win?

Lol zero idea who said that haha. I will say this last year everyone pegged KC to fall as the division looked improved and their schedule again was a buzz saw... and then it wasn't.

Realistically one of the Jets or Phins won't be as good and outside of PHI/KC/CIN their will be some teams who are not what they were. That said the last two years the Bills have had some weaker teams to go after and this year on paper there are maybe 2-3 games (DEN/TB/VEG) that should be expected wins.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.