Analyzing 10 years of first round TE production

FireChans

10 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Based on the way Beane plays rookies along w/ Knox stealing snaps it is perfectly reasonable to not have huge expectations. Nobody is telling u that u can’t have an opinion, but take the past into account. I hope i am wrong 

Actually part of the value of the OP is that people such as yourself should be able to temper expectations without blaming the coaches (and what is with blaming Beane for the rookies playing times?)  Look at the OP stats, very very few TEs explode in stats their rookie year.

Secondly, traditionally if done right, the draft is supposed to be used for the future.  Beane got Dorsey/Josh a great pass catcher to have for at least the next four years.

3 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

"You guys" ? what that supposed to mean? 

A tight end is not going to come in here, as a rookie, and post stellar numbers.  

People are expecting peak production out of a guy that will be limited by inexperience at the pro level and a questionable coaching staff.

Temper expectations, is all I'm saying. 

9 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

A tight end is not going to come in here, as a rookie, and post stellar numbers.  

People are expecting peak production out of a guy that will be limited by inexperience at the pro level and a questionable coaching staff.

Here's the thing - he will be a contributor.  As much as any 1st round WR probably would have seen on a prior year playoff team.  

15 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

here is the big banger..

Ready for this?

Each individual can have what ever expectation they want out of a player, agree or not.. What drives me nuts is people telling other people what they MUST expect and not expect... I find that hysterical. 

I think the Kid could cap off his year at 600 yards based on what we have and the variety of ways we can use him. No one is going to ask him to run block. every run down. But lining up on the LOS and chipping a de then running for a rout? That is a typically normal habit of even a receiving TE. You think he will only get 300 yards? that is your opinion but don't tell me what my opinion can or can not be. 

Just because the GM says "they both will work well together" does not mean he can not line up on the other side of the LOS, Chip and receive a ball against good DL teams. 

I too believe that once he gets rolling that a season between 500-600 is likely.  That's good numbers for a rookie.

What is not mentioned much in this post is what defenses will need to do to adjust to defend him.

It could easily mean that Dawson Knox is lost in the mix and finds a few more balls too.

I find it funny that there has been a lot of 400 or less and 800 or more talk.  I think our numbers are more realistic.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think the impact will be solid 500ish yards 5ish TD's which will be a nice addition to the offense as I don't think his production will come at the expense of Knox who I also think will have 500-600 yards and 5ish TD's similar to his last two seasons. Getting 1000 yards from two TE's combined as opposed to the 625 yards the Bills got from Knox/Morris last season is a solid boost to the offense. 

The Bills will need to see more production from Shakir and Davis (along with Hines who will be there the whole season) while hoping Hardy can surpass what Mac gave the team last season. If all those things fall together and the Bills can still get 1200+ yards from Diggs as a WR1 I think the offense will be much better and more balanced. 

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I will decide for myself if i wish to temper expectations or not, ty very much..

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I too believe that once he gets rolling that a season between 500-600 is likely.  That's good numbers for a rookie.

What is not mentioned much in this post is what defenses will need to do to adjust to defend him.

It could easily mean that Dawson Knox is lost in the mix and finds a few more balls too.

I find it funny that there has been a lot of 400 or less and 800 or more talk.  I think our numbers are more realistic.

I agree. Thank You!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.