Change in offense forthcoming due to Kincaid?

Haplo848

Up until now, we've mainly been running 3WR sets with Josh as a QB, throughout his career. However, after Beasely left, and McKenzie couldn't cut it, we don't really have a really good slot personnel, and this draft isn't that great for WRs. With the Kincaid pick, it seems like we're going to be lining up in a lot more 2 TE sets, even if one or both ends up getting split out wide. But with the suddenness and burst Kincaid has shown on tape, it seems like he could almost take over that slot receiver role as a TE, getting the high frequency, low yardage, high percentage catches that would more traditionally go to a slot receiver. And if that's the case, our offense starts looking a LOT more dangerous than last year. You've basically replaced McKenzie with someone with much better hands and a much better blocker, and who might actually get MORE targets. They'll likely be shallower targets, but Kincaid will still likely play a much larger role than McKenzie ever could have. 

And that's basically just talking about his direct effect. Less directly, playing in a two TE set with Kincaid out there, he'd basically make defenses pull a DB off the field in exchange for a LB, giving Davis and Diggs more room to work with. If they don't pull that DB, it becomes a lot easier to run on teams, which will also open up play action passing more. 

There are a lot of "experts" out there saying that we needed to draft other positions more, so they hated this pick, but drafting for need had always been how you end up drafting mediocre players that don't actually fill a hole and extend your losing ways. Always pick the best players available, and then scheme around them. There were no WRs or MLBs worth drafting at that point, we've shown we can't develop DLine talent, so pick the best player available, one of the best players in the entire draft, and start running some 2 TE sets with Knox and Kincaid. 

• Like (+1) 1

I believe the "change" in offense came last year when OJ Howard was released. 

Buffalo had brought him in for a reason and I think (and Beane hinted at last night) that the offense has been looking to have more 12 personal (or 11.5 as BB called it last night) for a few seasons...starting with Hollister. They just haven't been able to find that F tight end until now.

Sort of reminds me of how the Bills had been looking for a RB to work out of the backfield on passing downs. Had that guy from Washington lined up then he bailed. They had done work on ETN when he came out. Then they moved to Cook. They are looking for specific things and pieces for the offense. Kincaid just may be that corner piece of the puzzle that makes the frame come together.

Bills have wanted to run 12 personnel as constructed now for a Bit.  

Heck Last year alone. Howard, Wanted to try and get McBride in the 2nd last year, then was in talks to try and trade for Det TE at the Deadline. 

12 personnel is very important to Dorsey.  

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe… but I think a lot of his usage will be as the big slot. 

I’m sure there will be wrinkles to take advantage of the way teams play us, but a lot of it could be as simple as 11 personnel disguised as 12 with Kincaid in the slot. 

It will certainly look different because teams can’t just defend us the way they would if he was, say, Josh Downs or Zay Flowers. 

Edited by SCBills

If you view Kincaid as Knox's backup, it's a bad pick.

If you view Kincaid as Knox's twin in a conventional 12 alignment, it's a bad pick.

But if you view Kincaid as his own unique thing - tight sometimes but more often split him out like a jumbo-version of Beasley - it's a good pick.   I'm hoping Haplo is right and the Bills get creative.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.