Article about the Buffalo News

\GoBillsInDallas/

Another sad sign of the times. Feeling nostalgic, I subscribed for online service when hearing of the BN printing move.

No one answered the number listed to subscribe, which is not unusual in the post covid world. A call center from Iowa, according to caller ID did call back. I reluctantly subscribed as the return caller seemed unsure of what offers the BN was offering.

No confirmation of my enrollment was ever sent to my email, like they said they would. I called my credit card to stop further billing as they charged my credit card for more than for the agreed rate, twice.

Edited by I am the egg man

2 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

No confirmation of my enrollment was ever sent to my email, like they said they would. I called my credit card to stop further billing as they charged my credit card for more than for the agreed rate, twice.

So, Lee Newspapers are not only bad journalists, they're crooks! 🤨

26 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

So, Lee Newspapers are not only bad journalists, they're crooks! 🤨

No, didn’t mean it to read like that, but, yeah, it did read like that.

Just was surprised by the inept process of subscribing to a once, and apparently one of the last, solid non big city newspapers.

20 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

No, didn’t mean it to read like that, but, yeah, it did read like that.

Just was surprised by the inept process of subscribing to a once, and apparently one of the last, solid non big city newspapers.

First overcharge = error.

Second overcharge = thieving bastages.

No further questions, your Honour.

5 hours ago, dhg said:

How does the logistics of the paper being printed in Cleveland and then being delivered to Buffalo homes early in the morning even work? 

It doesn't. 

But my 87 year old mother inlaw was already reading the paper a day late her whole life, I don't think she'll notice. 

That's their primary customers of the physical printed paper, right? The elderly.

9 hours ago, dhg said:

How does the logistics of the paper being printed in Cleveland and then being delivered to Buffalo homes early in the morning even work? 

The Columbus Dispatch is printed in Indy.  Information has to be into the printer by 400pm in order for it to be delivered in the morning.  So, any late nite local sports is "covered" on line and then a brief follow up the next day.

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It doesn't. 

But my 87 year old mother inlaw was already reading the paper a day late her whole life, I don't think she'll notice. 

That's their primary customers of the physical printed paper, right? The elderly.

I'll buy a paper once in awhile when I need crumpled up paper to pack a box.

• Like (+1) 2

Regardless of one’s stance on the editorial content of the BN, it is very sad what has happened to the paper.  The subscriber rates went through the roof the last few years, the daily price is even more ridiculous, and the paper continues to get smaller and smaller. 

We dropped down to just digital subscription after being 7 day a week delivery for our entire lives. 

I found it interesting that there's no online death notices for Sunday, April 23 in the Buffalo News.  Sundays invariably have the bulk of the week's death notices.  BN not keeping up on paying Legacy.com?  Granted, I do not understand the mechanisms by which death notices are posted.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 9:51 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Crumpled newspaper is one of the best drying accelerators to put in wet boots or shoes to absorb moisture.

Great for cleaning glass too. 

In college I worked for Courier Express one summer and was "promoted" to assistant to the editor which basically meant he could borrow me when he needed help.

I was told I had a talent for editing.

When I graduated from college and could not find any jobs locally in my field  I considered looking work in newspapers and work my way up from grunt but got a lead from a friend about job in Virginia and moved.  At the time I could not see newspapers dying out but I can see it happening before my permanent retirement.

On 4/21/2023 at 5:38 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

It doesn't. 

This is definitely true. However, after years of not subscribing to my local newspaper, I re-upped about a year ago. 

It had always been a part of my daily routine and I missed it. I love having it again. 

I gave up on TV news in 2016 and still have yet to embrace it. 

I like reading world and national news online because I can choose to read about what I want to read about. 

The main benefit of the local paper is local news. Not just the stuff that’s newsworthy, per se .. but the editorials and stories about local businesses and people. 

If they end up pricing me out again, I’ll likely bail. But it won’t be an easy decision. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.