Building an Entire Draft Board:Center Rankings

Chaos

Which of the following players would make you happy with the Bill's draft pick # 27,59,91?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following players would make you happy with the Bill's draft pick #27?

• John Michael Schmitz
    • Joe Tippmann
    • Ricky Stromberg
    • Luke Wypler
    • Olu Oluwatimi
    • None
  2. 2. Which of the following players would make you happy with the Bill's draft pick #59?

• John Michael Schmitz
    • Joe Tippmann
    • Ricky Stromberg
    • Luke Wypler
    • Olu Oluwatimi
    • None
  3. 3. Which of the following players would make you happy with the Bill's draft pick #91?

Based on NFL.com grades, NFL.com estimates 9 Centers  will be selected in the draft. 9 of these players have grades suggesting they could be selected in the first four rounds. 

Based on PFF grades, PFF estimates 9 Centers will be selected in the draft. 3 of these players have rankings suggesting they could be selected in the first four rounds. 

The are ranked by NFL.com grade, and the relative ranking within postion for PFF for Centers is shown in the right hand column.  

NOTE : NONE is a choice in this poll.

image.thumb.png.556d0c6f885b4395b2248efaf297e359.png

Edited by Chaos

Center is a position of need.  Morse has probably been the best linemen for the entire Josh Allen era, but I think people tend to over rate him because they are comparing him to the low end talent we have rolled out on the rest of the line (Dawkins is better now).  Center does not seem to be a position to burn 11 million of cap dollars on like the Bills are/have been doing.  If a good center is available in the second or third round, it would be good to draft that person and hope they can play if Morse is injured this year, and take over the position with a rookie cap hit in 2024.

Pre-2022 Season:

Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #28. He wrote, "Tippmann is a terrific combination of strength (635-pound back squat and 455-pound bench) and athleticism, clocking a 4.31 pro agility time and a 1.65 10-yard split, which would’ve been faster than any O-lineman at the NFL combine this year."

image.thumb.png.f431cf9cc46b1f0c899f6112611cb340.png

He may or may not be available at 59, but he would seem to be a good value there. 

• Like (+1) 2

I know JMS is listed as the top Center basically everywhere, but I think he is at best a third rounder and would rather have Tippman and Avila over him assuming a gap run scheme. Schmitz is older and probably close to maxed out, his balance is not great and he winds up on the ground way too much because of it. He is athletic for his position but I don’t think he is as athletic as Tippman or anywhere near as strong as Avila. 

Tippman is Mitch Morse and I would be ok with the Bills drafting him in Rd2 to keep that kind of presence in the middle of our line once Morse has to hang them up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

we seem to be missing Alvia (TCU) and Patterson (ND) as options.  Would be happy with Alvia in the 2nd, Patterson in the 2/3rd.  Really want Tippman from Wisconsin.  

NFL.com calls them guards.  Avila can be chosen in this poll: https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/246549-building-an-entire-draft-boardoffensive-guard-rankings/

Neither NFL.com or PFF ranks someone as likely to be drafted in the first four rounds.  Attempting to first build the first three round board, so Patterson is not included

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

we seem to be missing Alvia (TCU) and Patterson (ND) as options.  Would be happy with Alvia in the 2nd, Patterson in the 2/3rd.  Really want Tippman from Wisconsin.  

Those players are more Guards than Centers.

3 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Those players are more Guards than Centers.

You guys that know college players have to help us that don't.  Who (if any) in this draft would make a good long-term center for Josh?

What rounds would they go in?

Fixing the OL for me is not about this year only.  I want things anchored this year, so the future is not a constant fire drill with the OL.

Morse has been good.  He may or may not be a cap casualty next season.  I think moving Bates over to C at his age is not the greatest

of options.  I wouldn't mind drafting Morse's replacement this year, even if it means he doesn't play a lot this season.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

You guys that know college players have to help us that don't.  Who (if any) in this draft would make a good long-term center for Josh?

What rounds would they go in?

Fixing the OL for me is not about this year only.  I want things anchored this year, so the future is not a constant fire drill with the OL.

Morse has been good.  He may or may not be a cap casualty next season.  I think moving Bates over to C at his age is not the greatest

of options.  I wouldn't mind drafting Morse's replacement this year, even if it means he doesn't play a lot this season.

John Michael Schmitz & Joe Tippmann are seen as the top players at this position and it is justified.

Olusegun Oluwatimi would be a good later round(4th) pick.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/25/2023 at 10:22 AM, Chaos said:

Based on NFL.com grades, NFL.com estimates 9 Centers  will be selected in the draft. 9 of these players have grades suggesting they could be selected in the first four rounds. 

Based on PFF grades, PFF estimates 9 Centers will be selected in the draft. 3 of these players have rankings suggesting they could be selected in the first four rounds. 

The are ranked by NFL.com grade, and the relative ranking within postion for PFF for Centers is shown in the right hand column.  

NOTE : NONE is a choice in this poll.

image.thumb.png.556d0c6f885b4395b2248efaf297e359.png

I’m going to take a shot in the dark here and say that you’re a big fan of the NFL a draft 

16 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

John Michael Schmitz & Joe Tippmann are seen as the top players at this position and it is justified.

Olusegun Oluwatimi would be a good later round(4th) pick.

I've kind of seen that is the deal with Centers.  So, if the Bills wanted one of the top 2 they would have to do it by the 2nd round?

Neither will probably be there for the Bills 3rd round pick, correct?

Good chance also that Oluwatimi would not be there with the Bills 4th round pick.

Barring a 1st round trade down.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I’m going to take a shot in the dark here and say that you’re a big fan of the NFL a draft 

Not typically. I usually watch the draft. Don't usually look at anything ahead of time.  This year I am bit obsessed

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.