OT: More employment questions...

Ok, all knowing wall....

I've agreed in principal to take this new job I've posted about. I've not yet signed any paperwork. I have said paperwork in front of me now, but we agreed that I'd bring it in signed on my first day (I had a passing thought this might happen...)

I tried to give notice and the place I'm at now. I've not expected such a response. In a nutshell, they don't want me to go and are very much in the process of trying everything possible to keep my employed.

I met with a VP today over lunch. I explained why I'm going and whatnot. He told me that we could easily come up with a deal that would make everyone happy. A contractual employment agreement, you know, the kind the fancy executives get.

Tomorrow at 1:00 I have a meeting to go over what our options are. I have a feeling they're going to increase my base pay and put me on a one-off bonus plan, with other perks thrown in (permanent telecommute, parking, and so on...).

My question is... what the hell should I do? They've done this type of thing for two people now. They moved one to CA, and one to FL. They both work remotely and fly into Atlanta every three months or so... and they've both been doing it for over a year. I'm not worried about being #1 on the lay-off list.

I really need some advice. I wasn't expecting them to want to retain me this bad. I had my mind all made up... but now that they're doing this, it kind of shows some character on their part. The perceived lack of was one of the main reasons I was bailing.

Edit: Got my Losman Jersey yesterday!

What do you need parking for if your telecommunting?

Now seriously, it depends on the state your in. In some states, right to work states, you just tell the new company you're not coming, no big deal.

However, in some states the verbal to come is a contract and they can sue you for damages.

Now the question is do you like your current company and what you did? If not the money isn't worth it.

What do you need parking for if your telecommunting? 

Now seriously, it depends on the state your in.  In some states, right to work states, you just tell the new company you're not coming, no big deal. 

However, in some states the verbal to come is a contract and they can sue you for damages. 

Now the question is do you like your current company and what you did?  If not the money isn't worth it.

344902[/snapback]

Georgia... right to work. I could just not show up and we're golden. But I'd really hate to do that.

I love what I do. I'm not so fond of the current shop, though. Money isn't always worth it, no, but I think we're talking about a LOT of money.

Need parking because I'd have to go down there *sometimes*, and at $14.00 a day, I want that covered.

Ok, all knowing wall....

First off, stop saying things like, "I have said paperwork".

Now that that's out of the way......

Telecommuting is HUGE - especially if you want to stay in Atlanta. It's hard to put a price on the hours saved, money saved, and wear and tear on your ve-hickle and nerves - not to mention possibly more time with the family.

Personally, that would be worth at least 10k-15k to me.

Sounds like you're in a good position. Weigh out all the options and go with your gut.

Best of luck.

Do what makes YOU happy. At the end of the day, loyalty in the business world is ABSOLUTELY a one way street. Be courteous when you confront your new company with the news that you're not coming and apologize, then get your ass home and get to work "telecommuting" in your skivvies with your feet up and a cold one next to the keyboard.

I wasn't expecting them to want to retain me this bad.  I had my mind all made up... but now that they're doing this, it kind of shows some character on their part.  The perceived lack of was one of the main reasons I was bailing.

344899[/snapback]

You were going to leave, in part, because the firm lacked character. You went out, got another job, and now you think you were wrong and they ARE a new company. And you believe this simply because they NOW want to take care of you because you're leaving?

It doesn't work that way. It never works that way. It's called damage control. They're not doing this because they want you to stay so much as they don't want you to leave. Big difference.

Trust your instincts. Embrace the change. Keep moving foward. Say 'thank you, but no thank you,' and move on. Outside of the money, I can promise if you stay, in short order you will prove the adage "If you keep doing what you're doing, you'll keep getting what you're getting."

Move on, brother. Move on.

I clicked on your name and read though a bunch of the threads you either started or added to; you should try it to remind yourself how you feel about your current job.

I will not give advice, that is not my style since I do not know you.

But remember, you added your boss to the "villain" list. I mean this guy was up there with Hitler. <_<

Have lunch with the VP and report back tomorrow.

and remember this - I used my 4,000th post to say this to you! :blink:

you have no choice but to leave and start your new job.

1. You can no longer be trusted. You have shown that you are more than ready and willing to leave for greener pasteurs when you are unhappy. I would retain you for 6 months while looking for your replacement. I would shield you from major decisions and company plans.

2. You gave your word that you would start your new job. People are counting on you because they believe you to be an honest person. Don't burn a bridge that was there for you when YOU wanted it. Chances are you will be replaced (this is proven in studies that show people who try to get raises by counter offers are shown the door in mere months. See #1).

1.  You can no longer be trusted.  You have shown that you are more than ready and willing to leave for greener pasteurs when you are unhappy.  I would retain you for 6 months while looking for your replacement.  I would shield you from major decisions and company plans.

2.  You gave your word that you would start your new job.  People are counting on you because they believe you to be an honest person.  Don't burn a bridge that was there for you when YOU wanted it.  Chances are you will be replaced (this is proven in studies that show people who try to get raises by counter offers are shown the door in mere months.  See #1).

344952[/snapback]

I agree, they will replace you as soon as they find the right person. I tried to negotiate a 1 year severance package with guaranteed bonus should that occur and they hesitated. I told them I knew they would be letting me go as soon as possible, and they tried to say they were shocked that I would even say such a thing, In reality, I spoke with someone after I left and they were already looking for my replacement, and just wanted me there to bring him up to speed.

Go now and enjoy the new start.

I agree, they will replace you as soon as they find the right person. I tried to negotiate a 1 year severance package with guaranteed bonus should that occur and they hesitated. I told them I knew they would be letting me go as soon as possible, and they tried to say they were shocked that I would even say such a thing, In reality, I spoke with someone after I left and they were already looking for my replacement, and just wanted me there to bring him up to speed.

Go now and enjoy the new start.

344956[/snapback]

Bingo....

Bingo....

344958[/snapback]

Yeah, you're probably right. Ok.... unless they shovel 100's into the back of my car, I'm going with the new job. I'll try and land the old company as a consulting gig, though. That may be possible.

I agree with SDS on this one. Once you give notice, never look back. You gave notice for a reason. If they loved you so much it would have never came to this.

They will fire you after a replacement has been found. This is damage control on their part.

Yeah, you're probably right.  Ok.... unless they shovel 100's into the back of my car, I'm going with the new job. I'll try and land the old company as a consulting gig, though. That may be possible.

344964[/snapback]

I'll echo what others have said. Once you start actively looking for a new job, you really can't turn back.

Now working for them on a contract basis, in addition to your new job, that's another story and perfectly acceptable IMHO.

CW

I am one who says honor your commitments. I used to place people, and the counter offer always bothered me. If you have accepted your new position and given your word that you would start, by all means start.

After all, what do you have if you do not have your integrity. I know it sounds trite, but dammit all, we all B word about TO , whats the differance here. Stand up for what you think is the right thing to do.

I

1.  You can no longer be trusted.  You have shown that you are more than ready and willing to leave for greener pasteurs when you are unhappy.  I would retain you for 6 months while looking for your replacement.  I would shield you from major decisions and company plans.

2.  You gave your word that you would start your new job.  People are counting on you because they believe you to be an honest person.  Don't burn a bridge that was there for you when YOU wanted it.  Chances are you will be replaced (this is proven in studies that show people who try to get raises by counter offers are shown the door in mere months.  See #1).

344952[/snapback]

Yep, you nailed it. I never consider making a counter offer when this situation occurs. It's only a matter of time before the "bloom's back off the rose" and the cycle starts all over again. What's the old saying about, "fool me once...."

Great.... thanks for all the feedback. Those are exactly the thoughts I had... that I'm just setting myself up for a quick trip to the unemployment office if I accept the counter... that I'm not keeping my word with the new place, and so on down the line.

I really feel bad leaving the place I'm at. I don't like the job, or the company... but for some reason I feel bad.

I'll take the new job and try and keep the old one around as a contract/consulting gig. That may fly.

Sorry for all of the OT, but I started at the current place seven years ago and have not been through this before. Went from school to the current job.. this is my first time really dealing with counter offers, contracts, blah blah blah... I figured some of you would be more worldly when it comes to that stuff.

-Jeff

It's tough to comment because we don't know the specifics.

But I will say, I think it's natural to feel bad. I recently left a senior position and I knew it was the right thing to do and I did not like job I was in. After I told the CEO I was leaving, they tried to get me to stay and I really felt miserable, but a month into the new job, leaving was abolutely the right decision and I barely even remember the old place.

Do what's right for you and what makes you happy.

344952[/snapback]

Soundest advice here. Being in managment #1 is exactly what I would be thinking/doing. In fact, where I am now there is a co-manager of mine that I know has applied for another job elsewhere but it didnt pan out for some reason. I know that guy cares little about our place now and will jump ship when the time is right for him.