OT: More employment questions...

Ok, all knowing wall....

I met with a VP today over lunch. I explained why I'm going and whatnot.  He told me that we could easily come up with a deal that would make everyone happy.  A contractual employment agreement, you know, the kind the fancy executives get.

I really need some advice.  I wasn't expecting them to want to retain me this bad.  I had my mind all made up... but now that they're doing this, it kind of shows some character on their part.  The perceived lack of was one of the main reasons I was bailing.

344899[/snapback]

I'm not all knowing ....... but I did sleep at at Holiday Inn last night.

If I were you ....... and I'm not. The thought that the job situation was so bad that I felt the need to "move on", and my present company didn't feel the need to make my situation better until I blackmailed them with the threat of leaving would cement the deal.

I'd hate to think that I was stuck in a job that I had to go to such drastic measures to better my situation. If all of those "perks" are available to you today, they were available to you yesterday .... and should have been offered to retain a "valued employee".

Good luck with the new job.  You've gotten some good advice here.  You weren't leaving for more money, you were looking for a different situation.

345151[/snapback]

well said , now is a good time to move on or it will be , i should have taken the other job if only i had taken the other job and you will be here asking what should i do now in 3 months .

You were going to leave, in part, because the firm lacked character. You went out, got another job, and now you think you were wrong and they ARE a new company. And you believe this simply because they NOW want to take care of you because you're leaving?

It doesn't work that way. It never works that way. It's called damage control. They're not doing this because they want you to stay so much as they don't want you to leave. Big difference.

Trust your instincts. Embrace the change. Keep moving foward. Say 'thank you, but no thank you,' and move on. Outside of the money, I can promise if you stay, in short order you will prove the adage "If you keep doing what you're doing, you'll keep getting what you're getting."

Move on, brother. Move on.

344917[/snapback]

couldn't agree more.

Your old firm is more worried about who will cover their but when you leave - they are already working on your replacement.

time to take the revised offer from the old company and leverage it into a better deal with your new employer.

but dammit all, we all B word about TO , whats the differance here.

Not to pick hairs here, but the difference is that TO has a signed contract, and Jeff doesn't... That's a really big difference IMHO.

However, I don't disagree that he should take the new job and not look back.

CW

I really feel bad leaving the place I'm at.  I don't like the job, or the company... but for some reason I feel bad.

Sorry for all of the OT, but I started at the current place seven years ago and have not been through this before. Went from school to the current job.. this is my first time really dealing with counter offers, contracts, blah blah blah... I figured some of you would be more worldly when it comes to that stuff.

345081[/snapback]

You probably feel bad because you have human qualities like loyalty, etc. Businesses don't have those qualities, as much as they might say they do. They'd can your ass tomorrow if they thought it would be best.

Part of the appeal of counter offers is that they make you feel wanted. They make you feel good. That's another human side of things, and the VP who is selling you this knows that. So allow the counter offer to make you feel good, and take that good feeling to your new job. Congratulations!

Great.... thanks for all the feedback. Those are exactly the thoughts I had... that I'm just setting myself up for a quick trip to the unemployment office if I accept the counter... that I'm not keeping my word with the new place,  and so on down the line.

I really feel bad leaving the place I'm at.  I don't like the job, or the company... but for some reason I feel bad.

I'll take the new job and try and keep the old one around as a contract/consulting gig. That may fly.

Sorry for all of the OT, but I started at the current place seven years ago and have not been through this before. Went from school to the current job.. this is my first time really dealing with counter offers, contracts, blah blah blah... I figured some of you would be more worldly when it comes to that stuff.

-Jeff

345081[/snapback]

I would not feel bad. Big company's will can you at the drop of a hat. You should take the money and run. Especially since you don't like the people or the place.

time to take the revised offer from the old company and leverage it into a better deal with your new employer.

345169[/snapback]

Someone else gave you similar advice to this and I can't be more adamant that you should NOT do this without half expecting the new company to say "Sorry, that was our best offer. Apparently it's not enough so we'll part ways," which will then be followed by your old employer saying "Sorry, you turned us down and we moved on. Good luck with your job search."

Great.... thanks for all the feedback. Those are exactly the thoughts I had... that I'm just setting myself up for a quick trip to the unemployment office if I accept the counter... that I'm not keeping my word with the new place, and so on down the line.

You've been given some excellent advice on this board, Jeff. Good luck in your new job.

Keep in mind that if they are offering a "bonus" that the government will be getting a big chunk of the money.

345377[/snapback]

Yeah, but it all comes out at the end. It's not like bonus money is taxed more heavily throughout the year, it's just taxed more upfront. You could increase your exemptions and get some of that money back if you wanted to.

CW

You've been given some excellent advice on this board, Jeff. Good luck in your new job.

345370[/snapback]

I agree. I know what to do now if I ever leave my job and get a counter offer from my current employer. Great advice guys, really made sense.

Alrighty, it's done. I told him I didn't want to accept the counter offer. I offered my services on a contract basis in the future if they need it, part of my "start my own shop" plan.

Off to the new place.

Thanks for the great advice.. We need a TBD advice column!

-Jeff