TV ALERT— Chicken Wings

djp14150

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

On history channel they have had a serious of shows on history of Food That Built America which airs on Sunday at 8 pm ET IIRC

the first Sunday in March (5th) they are schedule to have an episode on the Chicken Wings

Strange as this may sound, especially for the WNY crowd, I think I directed the creation of the first wings in South Carolina. I was at Land’s End Tavern, Hilton Head, SC in the early 80’s. NOBODY had heard of a chicken wing, and I was all over the state. I knew the pub owner, we went up to a mini-market  (now long gone)  and got the wings and fixings.  He was shocked at how simple and good they were. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Augie said:

Strange as this may sound, especially for the WNY crowd, I think I directed the creation of the first wings in South Carolina. I was at Land’s End Tavern, Hilton Head, SC in the early 80’s. NOBODY had heard of a chicken wing, and I was all over the state. I knew the pub owner, we went up to a mini-market  (now long gone)  and got the wings and fixings.  He was shocked at how simple and good they were. 

Not all heroes wear capes!

• Haha (+1) 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 5:32 PM, djp14150 said:

On history channel they have had a serious of shows on history of Food That Built America which airs on Sunday at 8 pm ET IIRC

the first Sunday in March (5th) they are schedule to have an episode on the Chicken Wings

This is now available online, and on streaming sites.  It's a very interesting documentary which (I believe correctly) credits John Young's Wings-and-Things as the ultimate genesis of fried chicken wings in Buffalo, and Frank & Theresa's Anchor Bar as the source of the now ubiquitous Buffalo Sauce.  

https://play.history.com/shows/the-food-that-built-america/season-4/episode-3

You have to have cable to watch the above link.  I tried watch it on Discovery+ on  Monday and you have to pay 1.99 more to watch the most recent episode.

Edited by Wacka

On 2/22/2023 at 9:35 PM, Augie said:

I have a similar story in Florida. In the mid 90s, a bar I used to hang out at was bought by 3 late 20ish friends (not my friends). They proceeded to make improvements and after a few months one of the guys bought out the other 2. I would chat with the sole owner occasionally. One nite I walked in and saw he had installed an automated wing cooker. I think it only held 10-12 wings and took about 15 minutes to cook. For a couple of weeks I watched in bewilderment the meager orders he could fill. 

One nite I had to speak up. After a couple of questions about how much he made and how many orders he was churning out I said, 'man you got dump that thing and get a commercial deep fryer. It helped my credibility that I said, 'I'm from Buffalo'. Maybe a month later I walk in and sure enough, I see him in the kitchen dropping baskets of wings in his deep fryer and he was selling alot! One of my few successes as a drunk. 

Edited by Fleezoid
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

I have a similar story in Florida. In the mid 90s, a bar I used to hang out at was bought by 3 late 20ish friends (not my friends). They proceeded to make improvements and after a few months one of the guys bought out the other 2. I would chat with the sole owner occasionally. One nite I walked in and saw he had installed an automated wing cooker. The think it only held 10-12 wings and took about 15 minutes to cook. For a couple of weeks I watched in bewilderment the meager orders he could fill. 

One nite I had to speak up. After a couple of questions about how much he made and how many orders he was churning out I said, 'man you got dump that thing and get a commercial deep fryer. It helped my credibility that I said, 'I'm from Buffalo'. Maybe a month later I walk in and sure enough, I see him in the kitchen dropping baskets of wings in his deep fryer and he was selling alot! One of my few successes as a drunk. 

Don’t be so hard on yourself. I’m sure you were a mighty fine drunk!     😋

The right tool for the job is an important life lesson that is best learned early.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched this... interesting but some of it was hokey though. Never knew they built the interstate overpasses just short enough so busses couldn't go under them, learn something new everyday.

Had to laugh when the narrator said "the best buffalo wings are the ones covered in sauce". I'd send them back lol... light sauce, shaken, and tonged out works here.

The original Hooters is not that far from here but there is one just a few miles away... have never been nor have never been to Buffalo Wild Wings, there is one just a few miles away too. 

Only place around here that has good wings is O'Briens... and that's because it's the local BBBB and they got "lessons" on how to do it right. Other than O'Briens I can make them better than BWW or Hooters. 

If you've never seen this episode it is a decent watch for sure.

4 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

One of the things I found interesting about this was they credited Buffalo Wild Wings as being the original Sports Bar in America.  I have never heard that before, anybody know if there is truth to that claim or if it was more fabricated for the show?  

Toots Shor would like a word...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.