NY vehicle inspection change, is the ground work for a mileage tax.

In CA, the money grabbing is a tax every year on the value of your car. There is no inspection.  A new car registration is around $500 for the average car (at least it was 10 years ago). It goes down every year  and I had a 10 year old car and the registration was about $100. They also get you with a smog test for every car over 4 years old.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Your mileage was recorded during your inspection previously as well. 

We just got the mailbag on this last week or something. The inspection is the same, the sticker is different. 

• Like (+1) 1

If you want less of something, tax it.  

If you want more of something, subsidize it.  

Libs want you driving less - and to push public money into renewables.   

Oh - and move to our ***t hole cities.  

Of course they are going to tax mileage.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeviF said:

Your mileage was recorded during your inspection previously as well. 

We just got the mailbag on this last week or something. The inspection is the same, the sticker is different. 

My prior sticker had the mileage written on the back that faces the driver. This time it's printed on the sticker.  

7 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

My prior sticker had the mileage written on the back that faces the driver. This time it's printed on the sticker.  

Yes. And as before, the mileage will be recorded with the DMV and companies that partner with them like carfax. 

On 2/8/2023 at 8:31 AM, Chris farley said:

Why not NY is taking a page out of the commercial vehicle rules every commercial vehicle has to turn in the amount of miles traveled on roads in states other than those the vehicle is registered to and collect funds from those companies for upkeep of their roads .

It doesn't surprise me at all that the politicians that run the state of NY would come up with another way to get even more money from those that live there they have been setting a precedent on the best way to tax those that live there since way before i was even born & they will continue to so they can keep the black hole supported .

It's not good enough that they can collect from just the commercial vehicles that go through NY from other states it looks as if they are looking to get more of NYers money but alas they keep voting those like Schumer into office so they have no one to blame but them selves .

One comment about a gas tax: historically it has been a very good example of a use fee/tax. The more you use our highways and byways, the more you pay for their upkeep. 
EVs now cause that to be decoupled. So either use more from general tax revenues for Highway purposes, or find a more fair way to tax road usage. It may be mileage, it may be more. toll/transponder roads, etc. no such thing as a free lunch.