Major Sports Alignment and Playoff Qualifying

Mike in Horseheads

Major Sports Realignment  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Happy With Major Sports Alignment and Playoff Qualifying ?

• I'm Happy with the way it is
    • I'd like to see realignment of all the divisions
    • I'd like to see two conferences and top teams (7 in each) qualifying

5 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Ok so would you prefer a 9-8 team playing as the home team vs a 12-5 team?

That's really the point I'm trying to make. If you win your division at 9-8, great good for that team for being in a crappy division.  But I can assure you that every other team that has a better record that has to play road games the rest of the way to the super bowl doesn't like it one bit.

Division should matter still.  conference record first and then they can use division record as a tie breaker.

Yes. Every team has a chance to win their division. Just because you're a 12-5 team, it doesn't mean you're better than a 9-8 team. All it means is that you got more wins and the reasons for that could be extensive. We all saw that this year. It was just as dumb of an argument when the Bengals cried about it as it is now.

At that point you might as well banish conferences and divisions and just have one league. Of course then every team would have to play each other, you'd have to get rid of bye weeks and everyone would have to play at a neutral site equidistant from every other team just to make it totally fair.

There are a ton of dynamics that make records what they are, and the NFL is as fair as anyone. The team that deserves to win the super bowl almost always does. The rest is just window dressing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Success said:

I like how the NBA does it. I'm for that.

I'm tired of the AFC East, personally.

I wait until the NBA Finals, then I continue to ignore them. 

We had about $800 into taking the boys to a game in Charlotte in the middle of the week. About 3 minutes in my scrappy little AAU PG said “they’re not even trying!”  Yep.

I’m more of a college hoops guy. No lack of effort, at least. They get scrappy! 

37 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Yes. Every team has a chance to win their division. Just because you're a 12-5 team, it doesn't mean you're better than a 9-8 team. All it means is that you got more wins and the reasons for that could be extensive. We all saw that this year. It was just as dumb of an argument when the Bengals cried about it as it is now.

At that point you might as well banish conferences and divisions and just have one league. Of course then every team would have to play each other, you'd have to get rid of bye weeks and everyone would have to play at a neutral site equidistant from every other team just to make it totally fair.

There are a ton of dynamics that make records what they are, and the NFL is as fair as anyone. The team that deserves to win the super bowl almost always does. The rest is just window dressing.

No you wouldn't.

It would be the same as it is now but your overall record is your seeding with whatever they use now as your breakers.

9 home, 8 away game (alternating every other year) and keep the divisional yearly rotation as is.

I have a lot of thoughts on this. (and if you don't like my thoughts, don't read the post)

I am ok with the current NFL setup, although I preferred the 6 team per conference and byes for the 1 and the 2, instead of the 7, with only 1 bye....but I'm good with the current version.  I also don't mind the occasional crap team division winner getting a home game.  You won the division.  You host a playoff game.  I also don't need reseeding.  you earned the seed you are in the regular season.  The NFL regular season is the best because the games are all very meaningful and alot of teams are still in the hunt up to the last couple weeks.  IT's great!

I am not an NBA fan, but clearly too many teams make it, the regular season is meaningless and they tell you so by how often they opt for "load management"  If you are a sports league where you sit your star players because they are playing too much...you are telling everyone, you are playing too many games....and that they don't all matter.  Horrible

The NHL is similar to the NBA..too many games.  Too many teams in.  The NHL should go to a 50 game schedule and have 6 teams per conference in.  Play with fresher players, have the games all matter more, and...perhaps the best part...have your season be playing the Stanley cup finals at the end of FEB/Beginning of march...right before March Maddness.  The NFL season is over, March Madness hasn't started yet.  You get basically all of FEB to showcase the best your sport has to offer, to a bunch of people still holed up indoors during cold winter.  Own FEB.  I know, more than any other pro sport, the NHL makes revenue on gate, but put out a better product and have it on TV with more eyes on it and that might improve.  Also....shootouts suck.

Last.....If you are the hometeam in an NFL game, playoffs or otherwise.....you are HOME.   Any advantage should go to the hometeam.  OT shoulnd't have a coin toss.  Hometeam gets call on to take ball (or not) and it's sudden death.  Wanna win? beat the team in regulation.  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

how many times has that happened?

1982 Cleveland Browns.

1982 Detroit Lions.

2010 Seattle Seahawks.

2014 Carolina Panthers.

2020 Washington Football Team.

2022 Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

I voted the last one, but its a mix between 2 & 3. Still keep your 6 division games a year, 4 teams per division, but update geography to make a lil more sense.

Thennnnnn seed by conference. Itll still be important to win your division, bc you want a higher seed. Div games will be just as competitive as before. I dont believe the current format puts any more juice into division games than would exist in conference seeding.

On 2/7/2023 at 8:55 PM, I am the egg man said:

The NFL has the best post season going, don’t see any reason to mess with it.

Not this year, at allllllll

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.