A day later, I'm still in the camp of cleaning house.

Pine Barrens Mafia

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. I am seriously worried Tre is done and we are never going to see the all pro version of Tre White again. He has lost all of his confidence out there. I would not be stunned if he decided to call it a career, honestly. 

Also:

https://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/nfl-salary-cap-faqs/#:~:text=If a player unexpectedly retires,the “Barry Sanders Rule”.

'If a player unexpectedly retires in his prime, while playing under a long term contract in which the team gave the player a signing bonus, the CBA allows the team to attempt to recoup some of that Signing Bonus. This has become known as the “Barry Sanders Rule”.

If the team – usually after an arbitration hearing – is entitled to receive the return of a portion of the player’s Bonus, that amount is credited to the following year’s Salary Cap.

To be clear, though, not every retirement causes the return of bonus money.  In fact, teams often sign veteran players to contracts with a number of years that they know will not be fully reached.  In such cases, the teams never seek the return of bonus money – and likely wouldn’t win in arbitration, anyway.  The return of bonus money is only likely to occur when the player essentially retires unexpectedly and without legitimate reason (i.e. injury).'

He is 27 and played almost every snap late this season -- i.e., "in his prime." The Bills could absolutely go after the pro-rated portion of the bonus if they wanted, and they'd be within their rights to do so. They'd win.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. I am seriously worried Tre is done and we are never going to see the all pro version of Tre White again. He has lost all of his confidence out there. I would not be stunned if he decided to call it a career, honestly. 

No problem. That is what the 1st Round is for. Just ask McClappy!

22 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He is 27 and played almost every snap late this season -- i.e., "in his prime." The Bills could absolutely go after the pro-rated portion of the bonus if they wanted, and they'd be within their rights to do so. They'd win.

Ah, let's keep him around. Like Marv Levy said, "you can't have too many corners." Maybe we should bring him AND Tre back!

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

This is McDs first real test as a Head Coach. If he doesn’t show Frazier the door, then he too needs to go.

This is McD’s first real test? I don’t even know how this can be a serious post. I guess you missed the other 5 years of the coaching staff having ridiculous game plans and poor in game mgmt. but yea this is the first mistake and real test. I guess with that mind set better give him another 5 year deal. 

If McKenzie, Beasley, Brown and Singletary are on the Bills next year then this team simply is not serious about putting together a championship team. These guys are not going to win you anything. On Defense Bills need at least 2 new defensive starting linemen and 3 if they can draft someone. And have to bring in at least one aggressive cornerback that can cover guys.  

On 1/23/2023 at 6:20 AM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Here's why: 

1) draft malfeasance: starting with the atrocious decision to to draft an undersized DT in the top 10 (a guy who's been rotational and not game changing in any way instead of a top offensive talent on the line or receiver) and ending with drafting a CB who isn't a scheme fit and therefore really didn't contribute all that much, Brandon Beane has failed in the draft post 2018. That failure was a DIRECT contributor to the divisional round ceiling this team now has. 

2) misplaced loyalty: McDermott is loyal. I get it. He doesn't want to throw his guys under the bus. Star L, Trent Murphy, Leslie Frazier, I could go on, but why? The man can't recognize cancer and lets it fester.

3) complete lack of situational awareness: this coaching staff is incapable of seeing the forest for the trees and is all too willing to continue doing what isn't working on and off the field in the name of continuity.

4) defensive malpractice: for guys who claim expertise in defense, this team's defense sucks, on ice. It's a worse version of the colts finesse defense under Dungy. It plays zone 90% of the time but can't stop a third and long if their lives depended on it. I'm over the soft zone. Time to go. 

5) it's just time. Sometimes a guy comes in, cleans house, gets things working. A guy may succeed in that job, but find himself incapable of taking the next step. That's Sean McDermott. He's a great culture builder and I mean great. But he's hit his ceiling..bring someone in who can get the job done. 

how much of the house do you want cleaned? 

That's never happening. Not only is it idiotic, you would take several steps backwards due to scheme changes and players that don't fit those schemes.

There is no "timeline" for when the dam will finally break in terms of getting thru the AFC championship game but history shows that will usually happen if knee jerk reactions don't prevent it.

Edited by Big Turk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.