Florio: Brady to the Dolphins "Definitely on the Table"

Nextmanup

4 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Why did Lance start week 1 2022?  If Purdy had outperformed both Lance and Jimmy in camp, would he have started?  Maybe not because….rookie, but if Lance outperforms Purdy in 2023 camp are you saying  Purdy will get deferential treatment?  Shirley.

Purdy is their QB “at this point” because the other options are hurt.  Jimmy is likely gone via FA.  Personally I think a camp battle is the most likely scenario with the 9ers next year but it is possible one enters as preferred.  

Their roster is strong and helps any QB but they haven’t exactly played a tough schedule since Purdy got thrust into action.  Fish, Bucs, Seahawks x2, Wash, LV, Ariz.  Dallas’ D can test Purdy as can Philly’s.  If he holds up there the story could change but right now he has zero hold in the 2023 job.

They were doing what you suggested---after a year of learning the system, they gave their expensive draft pick his chance.  He struggled briefly then got injured.  Then they just started winning again with JimmyG.  Now they have seen their 3rd string guy simply master that Offense and go undefeated. 

Do you think if Purdy leads the 49ers to a win this weekend and to the NFCC game, in the off season they are gonna say "yeah, but---lets see how he handles a training camp QB competition!"

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

They were doing what you suggested---after a year of learning the system, they gave their expensive draft pick his chance.  He struggled briefly then got injured.  Then they just started winning again with JimmyG.  Now they have seen their 3rd string guy simply master that Offense and go undefeated. 

Do you think if Purdy leads the 49ers to a win this weekend and to the NFCC game, in the off season they are gonna say "yeah, but---lets see how he handles a training camp QB competition!"

We’ll find out when we find out, but assuming they’ll simply dump a #3 overall after essentially one game seems unlikely to be a simple decision.  I’m not diminishing Purdy’s play, but assuming he is solidified as a proven commodity after a few games against mostly bad teams is premature.  He could be Tom Brady or Scott Mitchell but is very likely somewhere in between.

12 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

We’ll find out when we find out, but assuming they’ll simply dump a #3 overall after essentially one game seems unlikely to be a simple decision.  I’m not diminishing Purdy’s play, but assuming he is solidified as a proven commodity after a few games against mostly bad teams is premature.  He could be Tom Brady or Scott Mitchell but is very likely somewhere in between.

If Lance was a 3rd round pick would you say the same?  Just because they overdrafted him a 3 they have to plow on with him?

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

If Lance was a 3rd round pick would you say the same?  Just because they overdrafted him a 3 they have to plow on with him?

Your conclusion that they overdrafted is based on an insufficient sample size of games…….1…….and I assume you have not been in attendance at SF practices.  Correct me if I’m wrong about that.  Also let me know if any high draft picks have ever taken longer than one start to develop.  If he had been drafted in round 3 and was named starter, then got hurt, I’d think they would be reluctant to dump him then too.   

My guess is that if Purdy throws 6 horrible picks this week and SF loses, then he will still have some sort of chance in camp next year based on his success the last few weeks.  If SF goes on to win the SB, it will likely be inclined to keep him in his role as starter…..but even that isn’t some sort of proof that Lance is a bust.  That’s just dumb.  SF, of all teams, seems to require the least from their QB of any of the league’s true contenders.  That factors in as well.  

IMO any speculation at this point about the 9ers 2023 depth chart is guesswork.  You seem to think you have it figured out based on one game from Lance and a few games from Purdy against pretty weak competition.  That’s ok.  You do you.

21 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Your conclusion that they overdrafted is based on an insufficient sample size of games…….1…….and I assume you have not been in attendance at SF practices.  Correct me if I’m wrong about that.  Also let me know if any high draft picks have ever taken longer than one start to develop.  If he had been drafted in round 3 and was named starter, then got hurt, I’d think they would be reluctant to dump him then too.   

My guess is that if Purdy throws 6 horrible picks this week and SF loses, then he will still have some sort of chance in camp next year based on his success the last few weeks.  If SF goes on to win the SB, it will likely be inclined to keep him in his role as starter…..but even that isn’t some sort of proof that Lance is a bust.  That’s just dumb.  SF, of all teams, seems to require the least from their QB of any of the league’s true contenders.  That factors in as well.  

IMO any speculation at this point about the 9ers 2023 depth chart is guesswork.  You seem to think you have it figured out based on one game from Lance and a few games from Purdy against pretty weak competition.  That’s ok.  You do you.

I don't know if they have "figured it out".  I'm positing that they would be hard pressed to sit Purdy.  

Why do you think Purdy will suddenly toss 6 INTs in one game....because the was the last guy drafted? That's a solid argument.

Pretty weak competition?  Lance lost to Chicago in the opener.  Last year he lost to Seattle, Arizona, and beat Houston. 

47 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't know if they have "figured it out".  I'm positing that they would be hard pressed to sit Purdy.  

Why do you think Purdy will suddenly toss 6 INTs in one game....because the was the last guy drafted? That's a solid argument.

Pretty weak competition?  Lance lost to Chicago in the opener.  Last year he lost to Seattle, Arizona, and beat Houston. 

That’s not the argument I made and I’m not assuming he will throw six picks.  You flat out stated Lance was overdrafted.  Maybe, but the jury is certainly out despite your uninformed confidence and declaration of finality.

I do think there is a chance that Purdy has a rough week given the weaker teams he has faced thus far, SF’s D taking pressure off and the fact that the Dallas D can present some challenges.  I think SF is the better team and has better coaching, but that Dallas and then presumably the Philly D will be much tougher than the parade of hot messes he has seen thus far.  Read his scouting report and tell me what you have seen to discredit any of his projected weaknesses.  He hasn’t had to do any of those things because SF has so many options.  Good for him, but everyone gets their weaknesses tested eventually.  https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brock-purdy/32005055-5224-3289-b108-8aab5e23b748

At this point I don’t see SF needing to “sit” either Purdy or Lance at the outset of 2023.  That’s what camp is for.  There is no reason for them to simply jettison either.  Jimmy’s contract is up….I believe……but if it weren’t, the discussion might involve all three.  

If the season stopped today SF would likely go into camp and give both QBs an opportunity and that is what I would do.  The season doesn’t stop today for them so the reaming games could sway that I suppose.  I think the odds of it being fully determined are low.  

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

That’s not the argument I made and I’m not assuming he will throw six picks.  You flat out stated Lance was overdrafted.  Maybe, but the jury is certainly out despite your uninformed confidence and declaration of finality.

I do think there is a chance that Purdy has a rough week given the weaker teams he has faced thus far, SF’s D taking pressure off and the fact that the Dallas D can present some challenges.  I think SF is the better team and has better coaching, but that Dallas and then presumably the Philly D will be much tougher than the parade of hot messes he has seen thus far.  Read his scouting report and tell me what you have seen to discredit any of his projected weaknesses.  He hasn’t had to do any of those things because SF has so many options.  Good for him, but everyone gets their weaknesses tested eventually.  https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brock-purdy/32005055-5224-3289-b108-8aab5e23b748

At this point I don’t see SF needing to “sit” either Purdy or Lance at the outset of 2023.  That’s what camp is for.  There is no reason for them to simply jettison either.  Jimmy’s contract is up….I believe……but if it weren’t, the discussion might involve all three.  

If the season stopped today SF would likely go into camp and give both QBs an opportunity and that is what I would do.  The season doesn’t stop today for them so the reaming games could sway that I suppose.  I think the odds of it being fully determined are low.  

You said: "my guess is he will throw 6 horrible picks"...but what you really meant is you don't assume he will throw 6 picks.  Ok...lol

The current discussion is whether the 3rd round pick--entering his 3rd season)  will play next year over the last guy taken in the draft this year.  Right now, that's a guy who was overdrafted until proven otherwise. How has he played against various Defense that has led you to conclude he's better?  He's face one decent Defense (2021 Seattle). 

With only 2 QBs on the roster at this point going into next year, no they won't jettison either. 

Why would I read his scouting report from a year ago when I can see him play every week?  But since you asked and since I have....the "shies away from tight windows" is obviously wrong--guy throws darts.  His YPC is a whopping 8.1  The dumbest part of the scouting report is "confidence and consistency have been issues"...lol.  This is cool and supremely confident.  Last week in a playoff game, he had a shaky start, then settled down and destroyed the Seahawks. 

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You said: "my guess is he will throw 6 horrible picks"...but what you really meant is you don't assume he will throw 6 picks.  Ok...lol

I stopped reading there because what you quoted me as saying is a fabrication.  I’m not sure why you feel the need to lie.  I don’t think this is an argument either of us will “win” until next year, even though we have different thoughts on what SF may do.  If you are so desperate to win it that you have to put quotes around something I did not type and attribute it to me, then I guess you can consider yourself a winner.  Still you can’t win them all so be careful,  I remember earlier this season when you said “Davis Mills will lead the Texans to an undefeated season in 2022”.  That was wrong***

*** I realize you never typed that, but if the rules of this thread include making up crap I just figured I’d join in.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I stopped reading there because what you quoted me as saying is a fabrication.  I’m not sure why you feel the need to lie.  I don’t think this is an argument either of us will “win” until next year, even though we have different thoughts on what SF may do.  If you are so desperate to win it that you have to put quotes around something I did not type and attribute it to me, then I guess you can consider yourself a winner.  Still you can’t win them all so be careful,  I remember earlier this season when you said “Davis Mills will lead the Texans to an undefeated season in 2022”.  That was wrong***

*** I realize you never typed that, but if the rules of this thread include making up crap I just figured I’d join in.

you got me there--sometimes your *** is hard to follow.

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

I get that words like “if” may be hard for you to follow.  I’ll try to use simpler stuff moving forward.

get back to me about the Defenses that Lance lit up in his limited play for 2 years.  And how the scouting on Purdy has been proven accurate.

Brady unfortunately is not worth turning your franchise over to. Any objective observer could see he is a statue who doesn’t want to get hit anymore. His performance in the Dallas game was a sad indication that he’s shot. Of course, that doesn’t mean he couldn’t get close to a playoff birth in the right division, if the supporting cast was above average. What’s the point though? Every year he tempts fate with the probability of serious injury. He prioritized this flawed Tampa team, with no chance to go anywhere, over family, legacy, and paid the ultimate price. His pursuit of, who knows what, is getting tiresome.

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.