Question about the origins of The Bills Maffia

Coldfronts

4 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Are you aware that the people who find offense to the name Cleveland Indians are complete idiots?  Not the best example.

They changed the name of a 120 year old billion dollar franchise because of some idiots?

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This had been raised before, but it hasn't stopped the rise of the moniker.

If it was that offensive, every sports talking head in the country wouldn't refer to us as Bills Mafia. Some people are too sensitive. I'm part Native American and the team names, tomahawk chop, chanting etc... doesn't bother me. I'm part Irish too, so the only thing that really causes me any problems is when I drink too much.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Wacka said:

I wore a Bills Mafia shirt when I was in the SF Bay Area last February at a get together. People were asking me what it meant. I said "Like the Mafia, once you join, you are in it for life. You cannot leave. " Also told them about Del Reid and his t-shirts.

If you wore it in North Beach you wouldn’t have to explain anything. 

Edited by Best Williams Available

13 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

Bills Mafia origin

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bills-mafia-became-thing-223221447.html

It started as a charitable idea, and spreading positivity and good will. I love the Mafia. Its the best fanbase nickname out there. If you don't like it, it's likely because your past your midlife crisis, balding, overweight and dont like kids on your lawn. 

I’m not balding, you whippersnapper. 

• Like (+1) 1

That 26Shirts guy said it, I think. When the team signed free agent LB Nick Barnett he made mention of "they got some kinda Mafia up there in Buffalo" and I remember that's when the term started to catch on a lot more. Del (26Shirts guy) also coined the "Legend of Kiko Alonso" hashtag that got hot for a minute. 

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the moniker but it seems to have stuck. 

I know that the term Bills Mafia is distasteful to some folks. 

I use the term Bills Mafia as a term of endearment NOT malice. Charity and family bond NOT hoodlums and any racial stereotypes kinda way

I clearly am not alone thinking that way. But I respect anyone who doesn't like it for whatever reason.

my one peeve relating to Bills fandom  is the Marv Levy spirit song "Go Bills" it is nerve gratingly Terrible

lol

Edited by muppy

14 hours ago, Wacka said:

I wore a Bills Mafia shirt when I was in the SF Bay Area last February at a get together. People were asking me what it meant. I said "Like the Mafia, once you join, you are in it for life. You cannot leave. " 

"You know, a group a criminals that deny it's own existence and something you never, ever talk about"  Makes sense 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/11/2023 at 9:02 PM, Best Williams Available said:

If you wore it in North Beach you wouldn’t have to explain anything. 

It was in the East Bay in Dublin/ Pleasanton. I ;iced in Dublin for about 15 years and went back to visit last year. Everybody then was hoping for a Bills/ Niners  Super Bowl. I belonged to the San Jose Backers (the one Mark Vader is in).

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.