Lake Meade is drying up. Bodies are being found. We all know it's Mafia but not Bills Mafia.

Royale with Cheese

For the people who complain about people living along the coast in hurricane territory, this is another issue worth noting. We have millions of people moving to desert areas. We have taken the helicopter out of Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon a couple times. The pilot mentioned that humidity had roughly doubled with the development of golf courses and developments filled with mansions and their swimming pools. Humidity, after doubling, was still only about 6% on average. That is SIX PERCENT HUMIDITY! Know why? It’s a freakin’ DESERT! We came from Florida where 96% was common. I didn’t know 6% was even possible

The lake is mostly dirt at this point. The difference between what is “natural” and the green golf course communities surrounded by blue pools is absolutely stunning, and not in a good way. 

So, how long is this sustainable? When does the dust hit the fan? 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Augie said:

For the people who complain about people living along the coast in hurricane territory, this is another issue worth noting. We have millions of people moving to desert areas. We have taken the helicopter out of Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon a couple times. The pilot mentioned that humidity had roughly doubled with the development of golf courses and developments filled with mansions and their swimming pools. Humidity, after doubling, was still only about 6% on average. That is SIX PERCENT HUMIDITY! Know why? It’s a freakin’ DESERT! We came from Florida where 96% was common. I didn’t know 6$ was even possible. 

The lake is mostly dirt at this point. The difference between what is “natural” and the green golf course communities surrounded by blue pools is absolutely stunning, and not in a good way. 

All danger zones shouldn't be as heavily populated as they are. Unsustainable.  At the very least, tie funding to these specific populations.

People walked out of the Dust Bowls to these places... The coasts, mountains,  deserts... They can walk back. OR....Impose an income tax in these places if they don't want to be controlled by the Fed purse strings. 

Gotta start making it a disincentive to live in the unsustainable places. 

They have been cooking the books with water sustainability in the SW since the start... It's finally catching up with then. Too much growth, unsustainable resources. 

• Agree 2

Amazing... Just imagine if States pulled that crap with signs like that today! People would lose whatever minds they have left... Especially if they applied it to ClimateChange refugees, citizen or not... 

I mean... It's over-populated... What's gonna happen to SW if Lake Mead gets to dead pool? Do they have a power plan? 

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Amazing... Just imagine if States pulled that crap with signs like that today! People would lose whatever minds they have left... Especially if they applied it to ClimateChange refugees, citizen or not... 

I mean... It's over-populated... What's gonna happen to SW if Lake Mead gets to dead pool? Do they have a power plan? 

Have to tread lightly, you’re not wrong or on a tangent.

16 hours ago, Augie said:

For the people who complain about people living along the coast in hurricane territory, this is another issue worth noting. We have millions of people moving to desert areas. We have taken the helicopter out of Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon a couple times. The pilot mentioned that humidity had roughly doubled with the development of golf courses and developments filled with mansions and their swimming pools. Humidity, after doubling, was still only about 6% on average. That is SIX PERCENT HUMIDITY! Know why? It’s a freakin’ DESERT! We came from Florida where 96% was common. I didn’t know 6% was even possible

Speaking of Florida, not that far from now, Miami is going to be under water.

I'm not sure a lot of people understand that.

When stuff like this starts going down, people will start to catch on, but not before.

That's how this country works; we move forward only when we have to as a response to crises.

• Agree 2

On 12/16/2022 at 12:02 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Companies already do it.  I applied for a job at M+T Bank in Buffalo and I was told - we are only hiring locally. 

I was aware of this but since I had family in area I used local mailing address and company I was working for at time did some (little) work in area so I figured I would at least get to interview stage but I was contacted and told local candidates only.  I said I live in area for 20 years and how long did recent work experience need to be but the recruiter would not state it making it a fuzzy requirement.

18 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Speaking of Florida, not that far from now, Miami is going to be under water.

I'm not sure a lot of people understand that.

When stuff like this starts going down, people will start to catch on, but not before.

That's how this country works; we move forward only when we have to as a response to crises.

They'll just turn Miami into the Venice of the US. Not a big deal.

36 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

California is rich and bordered by an Ocean.

Why are they taking water from the desert?

Because the ocean is salty and that costs a lot of money for desalination... Rich don't get rich by spending money...😉😜 

Anyway....They'd have to pump it up a ~1,000' to reach Lake Mead's elevation.

You'd think that there would be a way to recapture spent hydro water. I suppose the energy balance to pump it back into pumped storage would be to great... ??

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Because the ocean is salty and that costs a lot of money for desalination... Rich don't get rich by spending money...😉😜 

You'd think that there would be a way to recapture spent hydro water. I suppose the energy balance to pump it back into pumped storage would be to great... ??

It's not a real problem.

Once the water levels get low enough where desalinating the ocean would be cheaper, the drought goes away.

I'm just curious to see if they're willing to destroy their agriculture to appease the urban elites.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

It's not a real problem.

Once the water levels get low enough where desalinating the ocean would be cheaper, the drought goes away.

I'm just curious to see if they're willing to destroy their agriculture to appease the urban elites.

Well... The dams at Hoover/Glen Canyon are Federal.  Fed $$$$. There should be a BigAg return to the Federal taxpayers throughout the country... Just like when the taxpayers in Duluth pay to rebuild South Florida after a hurricane. Send the beef and sugar North. That's what pays the bills. Economy. 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

There are ways of desalinating water but letting sun evaporate water and capturing it but California does not have the correct space with so much area used for businesses, homes and farmland and forests.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.