Actual Vikings

Irv

8 hours ago, without a drought said:

The average viking was somewhere between 5'6" and 5'8". 

That seems low to me, especially given the geography involved. Northern Europeans are STILL quite tall relative to the rest of Europe.  

In order to be able to join the Roman army under Trajan (@ 100AD) you had to be at least 5'11".

Historic people weren't as "small" as modern folks seem to think.  Not sure where that got started.

They were smaller/shorter to a degree, sure, but not "little".

53 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I get mocked for starting threads about my genuine opinion on the play and efficacy of players and coaches, but others can start threads about seeing tall humans around town and people love it. Kinda funny.

I've mentioned this before in the context of Einstein Hate at this forum...but remember...most people here do NOT actually want to discuss football in a detailed, objective way.  That's NOT why they are here.

And almost all threads here can go into like only 4 or 5 main categories of thread, and they just get keep getting repeated and repeated and repeated.

Now that I think about it, we haven't had a "I hate Mike Schopp" and "WGR-550 sports radio is terrible" double header thread in a few weeks.  We are due! 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

That seems low to me, especially given the geography involved. Northern Europeans are STILL quite tall relative to the rest of Europe.  

In order to be able to join the Roman army under Trajan (@ 100AD) you had to be at least 5'11".

Historic people weren't as "small" as modern folks seem to think.  Not sure where that got started.

They were smaller/shorter to a degree, sure, but not "little".

That's what scientists say about Vikings. Take it up with them.

10 hours ago, Irv said:

I went to the Sabres game tonight.  About six dudes walked into Pearl St. Bar in full Minnesota Vikings attire.  I was going to give them some crap and realized they were actual Vikings.  The shortest dude was 6'6".   I am ashamed.  

They should have been given suicidal wings with tainted blue cheese “on the house” 

5 hours ago, RangerDave said:

I am currently in Iceland hoping to find a place to watch the game.  I will ask the residents of the home of Leif Erikson what actual vikings looked like and why there are so many of them prowling the streets of Buffalo this weekend.

What better place is there to watch a Bills-Vikings game!

We have reserved 3 tables at a place called "The American Bar".  They show some games, but were unconcerned about showing the Bills... until I told them they were playing the Vikings!  Now, we are guaranteed to watch the game.  (At least until they figure out we are rooting again Erik the Red and his cohorts...)

Edited by RangerDave

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.