The Evolution of Tyrel Dodson

Beck Water

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

OK, that's not what I see, but it's a common view.  But where have you had the opportunity to compare Bernard's instincts to diagnose a play and say that they're better?

It is not Edmunds hate. It is a frustration with his lack of progression and development. We saw more base instinct in the preseason with Bernard than Tremaine’s 5 years of NFL experience and I think it’s started to dawn on us that he’s just not that guy. We wanted both. We thought Milano’s instinct would rub off on him or he’d develop his own by now. 

He plays sheet music very well but he can’t freestyle. He’s your best 9 to 5 but he’s not a supervisor. He’s great at what they’ve accepted of him and don’t ask him to do more. Maybe we should too.

Edited by benderbender
  • Vomit 1

37 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

If Bernard is a tweener than so is Milano.   Bernad is 6'1", 225, he is a Milano clone in that regard.   Milano is 6'0", 223.  Dodson is 6'0", 237. 

Absolutely Milano was a "tweener".  He fell to the 5th round in part because he was a converted safety at BC and teams doubted he could hold down a full time LB role in the NFL - not fast enough to be a safety and not enough beef to shed blocks as a LB.  So Milano is a tweener who worked fiercely and sculpted his body to succeed as an LB.

Bernard can do likewise, but he's gonna have to work hard at it, which is kind of where you want to be with a 5th round guy, not a 3rd rounder?  🤷‍♂️  At least, one of my beefs with the Bills drafting pre-Beane was that they were always acting like "the smartest guy in the room" and using the 2-3 rounds to take shots on the guys who could be great if only they re-worked themselves like Torrell Troup over Rob Gronkowski or Linval Joseph (yes I'm still salty why do you ask?)

Anyway I think the Bills still do that to some extent, Beane's philosophy is to use early rounds to draft guys with a high ceiling due to physical traits you can't coach - like Edmunds - and develop them.  But when you can't pay everyone, if guys need too long to develop then you get to watch them walk, just when they've started to reach their potential.

37 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Final Comment:  I want Edmunds to stay if Beane can figure it out.  I think Dodson and Bernard are step down from him, despite how well they played against an ailing Pittsburgh offense.  

I dunno about Bernard yet.  Contrary to some here I haven't seen enough snaps from him in a game to have a judgement about how his instincts and decision making transfer to the NFL. 

As far as Dodson, I was pleasantly surprised by the game he played yesterday and the amount of territory he covered.  But frankly, a rookie QB is not much of a decision-making challenge.  We'll see what we see next week if Edmunds can't go or starts and goes down.

6 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Disguised Edmunds thread,  nicely done

Yeah I didn't mean it that way of course, but since Dodson is the MLB backup who started yesterday and Edmunds is the starting MLB I suppose it is inevitable.

Edited by Beck Water

He was all over the field this last game making tackles every where they better not let another team steal him ! Playing as good as he has been it wouldn't surprise me if they put him back on the PS if another team stole him .

If another team did offer him a starting role could he turn it down to stay with the Bills or does he have to go through some kind of proper protocol to be able to not take a job with another team ?

41 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Disguised Edmunds thread,  nicely done

3d chess :)

I do think Bernard may be groomed more as a backup for Milano with his size and instincts.

Folks forget how often Milano gets dinged. Been knocking on wood this whole season as his play has been outstanding.

Helps that he finally has a DL in front of him that can keep him clean. He is not built to take on pulling OL players..

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.