Dead and Company announce final tour for Summer 2023

Logic

Feels like just yesterday I was buying tickets to the Grateful Dead Fare Thee Well shows in Chicago in Summer of 2015. That was supposed to be "the last time".

Fast forward 8 years, and here we are again. Probably the last chance to see Bobby and the drummers doing their thing on the same stage and to soak up the Summer Dead tour experience.

As always, its gonna be more fun than a grog in a glass of milk!

Dead-and-Company-Tour-2023.jpg

I wonder if it has to due with Bill Kreutzmann and his health issues. He has had to sit out a few shows this year because of it. He is almost 80. I know Bob likes touring Wolf Bros but he can still do both. Otherwise I don't know why they are ending it as they have been very successful touring all of these years.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

39 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I wonder if it has to due with Bill Kreutzmann and his health issues. He has had to sit out a few shows this year because of it. He is almost 80. I know Bob likes touring Wolf Bros but he can still do both. Otherwise I don't know why they are ending it as they have been very successful touring all of these years.

I feel like age and health must have a lot to do with it.

I also can't help but wonder if, after 7 years of this, John Mayer is ready to get back to just touring as a solo artist.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Logic said:

I feel like age and health must have a lot to do with it.

I also can't help but wonder if, after 7 years of this, John Mayer is ready to get back to just touring as a solo artist.

That is also possible. But Mayer can certainly do both. Besides he really seems to be enjoying playing Dead music. They have been very successful touring so I wonder if it has to do with health issues for Bill K. Bob has already said they will continue touring until they drop. Maybe doctors have told Bill he needs to stop. Who knows.

15 minutes ago, T&C said:

I'm just glad I got to see them intact back in the 80's a few times... but the music never stops thing is too much to keep up with for me.

I totally agree.

I am a Dead fan For many decades. Dead & Co. sucks imo. 

I really enjoyed Furthur with Russo, Chementi and Kadlecik. Mayer is talented but he is not Grateful Dead. Weir is completely finished and butchers every song that he sings. He turned into an egotistic capitalist and the music became secondary. 

When Further was around, they were paying the backup singers so little that one of them coud not afford much needed dental work. A woman I met is a dentist and fixed the male singer's teeth free of charge. Btw I don't blame you if you do not believe this.

This "final tour" is nothing but another money grab .

Sorry, jmo.

4 hours ago, Greg S said:

That is also possible. But Mayer can certainly do both. Besides he really seems to be enjoying playing Dead music. They have been very successful touring so I wonder if it has to do with health issues for Bill K. Bob has already said they will continue touring until they drop. Maybe doctors have told Bill he needs to stop. Who knows.

Bill K. is not a very good drummer. 

Jerry once said that if they were not bandmates, he would probably not associate with Bill.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I totally agree.

I am a Dead fan For many decades. Dead & Co. sucks imo. 

I really enjoyed Furthur with Russo, Chementi and Kadlecik. Mayer is talented but he is not Grateful Dead. Weir is completely finished and butchers every song that he sings. He turned into an egotistic capitalist and the music became secondary. 

When Further was around, they were paying the backup singers so little that one of them coud not afford much needed dental work. A woman I met is a dentist and fixed the male singer's teeth free of charge. Btw I don't blame you if you do not believe this.

This "final tour" is nothing but another money grab .

Sorry, jmo.

Jerry once said that if they were not bandmates, he would probably not associate with Bill.

No Jerry, no sale for me, and I saw Mayer :sick: open for the Stones in Philly a few tours ago… but others are into it, more power to them, by all means enjoy. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I respectfully disagree with the former statement. He’s not currently at the top of his game, but he’s pushing 80 years old.

Listen to the Dead circa 1968-1974 and I don’t know how you could say with a straight face that Billy wasn’t a good drummer.

As to the latter statement, I’d love to see a source for that supposed quote. I’ve exhaustively read every biography of — and scores of interviews with — the band and its members, and I’ve not heard that.

Edited by Logic

9 hours ago, Logic said:

I respectfully disagree with the former statement. He’s not currently at the top of his game, but he’s pushing 80 years old.

Listen to the Dead circa 1968-1974 and I don’t know how you could say with a straight face that Billy wasn’t a good drummer.

As to the latter statement, I’d love to see a source for that supposed quote. I’ve exhaustively read every biography of — and scores of interviews with — the band and its members, and I’ve not heard that.

I don't have a quote. I heard him say it in an interview and was rather surprised tbh.

12 hours ago, T&C said:

I'm just glad I got to see them intact back in the 80's a few times... but the music never stops thing is too much to keep up with for me.

My favorite year for the Dead was 1989. The summer tour (to include Buffaalo, Philly, and Rutheford, NJ) were amazing, and Jerry appeared to be sober. Brent also kicked ass in those shows. 

Edited by Bill from NYC

Snagged two tickets to the final two shows, at Oracle Park in San Francisco, and two tickets to both nights at the Gorge, which is such an awesome venue.

Looking forward to one more Saturday night with the Dead (err...two more?)

Now everybody's dancin' down the local armory
With a basement full of dynamite and live artillery
Temperature keeps risin', everybody gettin' high
Come the rockin' stroke of midnight, the place is gonna fly

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Snagged two tickets to the final two shows, at Oracle Park in San Francisco, and two tickets to both nights at the Gorge, which is such an awesome venue.

Looking forward to one more Saturday night with the Dead (err...two more?)

Now everybody's dancin' down the local armory
With a basement full of dynamite and live artillery
Temperature keeps risin', everybody gettin' high
Come the rockin' stroke of midnight, the place is gonna fly

I got the final night at Oracle, also grabbed the Sunday boulder show and 2 Philly Tix.  Tried to get gorge but got timed out of lawn seats.  Now I've got a few months to figure out how I'm gonna get to the west coast shows 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Greg S said:

This Sunday Bob turns 75. Heard it on the Grateful Dead channel. Surprised he has made it this long given many of those 75 years were "hard years" partying wise. Happy Birthday Bob.

Bob and John Mayer share a birthday as do Jeff Chimenti and Brent Mydland.  Cosmic karma 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.