NFL Suspends Dolphins owner Stephen Ross until October 17th, 2022 after investigation. Dolphins forfeit 2023 1st round pick and 2024 3rd round pick

Big Turk

5 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Well I have a different take due to some working in this judges report.  Something to the effect.  There wasn't violence or something along those lines it mentioned.  To me that would be a good reason to appeal and win in that the person who just spent months investigating feels it didn't raise to that level.  At the least, I'd be surprised if they didn't seek a temporary injunction till it went to court as he would be harmed if not allowed to play.

Understand NFLPA gave Roger the option to be judge, but they still have the option to sue.

I’m just going off past failed attempts by the NFLPA suing the league.  Brady in particular comes to mind.  It may change now that they have an impartial judge but I doubt it.  The NFLPA should’ve pushed for a  more impartial punishment system in the last CBA.

17 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I’m just going off past failed attempts by the NFLPA suing the league.  Brady in particular comes to mind.  It may change now that they have an impartial judge but I doubt it.  The NFLPA should’ve pushed for a  more impartial punishment system in the last CBA.

Agree surprised many that they didn't which shows overall they cared more about money and benefits which does help 95% of the players who aren't getting arrested and doing other things they shouldn't be doing.

16 hours ago, cle23 said:

Roethlisburger was accused of straight up rape twice.  Not 4, but forceable rape, to me, is worse than what Watson is accused of (what Watson is accused of doing is awful as well, to be clear.)  Roethlisburger got 6 games down to 4.

Good argument for your starting QB but standards have changed a lot.

When I was raised in WNY cops would often make drivers just park their cars and drive them home when they had too much to drink with a warning.  No way that happens these days.

If Roethlisburger had accused of those acts today he would be punished much more severely.

12 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Good argument for your starting QB but standards have changed a lot.

When I was raised in WNY cops would often make drivers just park their cars and drive them home when they had too much to drink with a warning.  No way that happens these days.

If Roethlisburger had accused of those acts today he would be punished much more severely.

Right, I think that is kind of the point Robinson was making.  The NFL is punishing players more severely for similar offenses just because of the public outcry.  That is not the correct way to rule on cases.  And Roethlisburger was accused of much worse than Watson, and STILL got his suspension reduced on appeal.

Watson deserves to be punished, and if he was criminally prosecuted and found guilty, he would deserve jail time.  In the mean time, the NFL only chose to pursue 4 cases and I have no idea why.  Prosecutors chose not to pursue charges.  

25 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Right, I think that is kind of the point Robinson was making.  The NFL is punishing players more severely for similar offenses just because of the public outcry.  That is not the correct way to rule on cases.  And Roethlisburger was accused of much worse than Watson, and STILL got his suspension reduced on appeal.

Watson deserves to be punished, and if he was criminally prosecuted and found guilty, he would deserve jail time.  In the mean time, the NFL only chose to pursue 4 cases and I have no idea why.  Prosecutors chose not to pursue charges.  

Well, one does not want public outcry to dictate vigilante justice, but if greater sensitivity to predatory and deeply dishonorable behavior becomes commonly shared, even if not criminally prosecuted, what is one supposed to do? Point to prior inadequate precedent and say there is nothing to be done but follow that? Folks think a year is more just than six games. Prepare for a result closer to that. Genuinely sorry you have a terrible owner who habitually makes unwise decisions.

41 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Rules evolve.

It is not just public outcry.  It is because potential sales impact. Perhaps Browns fans have no ethics and will not hold out like many have claimed on social media.

Also like other things tolerance has changed.  Some they are more tolerant on and some they are less.

Some things like league has been hammering on such as drinking even having a free ride program players are choosing to not use.

NFL has made partnerships with gambling and fantasy football things they would not have done in past.

NFL has made a point of emphasis on domestic violence.

The NFL has due to pressure from players and groups have given minorities advantages when interviewing for front office and high level coaching positions.

They have been working with "Black lives" groups.

The changes have even been in gear and game rules due to CTE.

Claiming that a stick in the turf is made with Roethlisburger's punishment does not make sense with all of the other changes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.