Favorite Upstate Hot Dog Joint

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick Tahou's, of course. Mmm. Hot sauce & onions! Mmmmm!

Zab's on Park Ave in Rochester used to be good before it closed.

What is your favorite Upstate Hot Dog shack?

Heid's

Ted's

Red Top

Louis'

Hoffman Hot Haus

For me its Heid's especially since they started using Hoffman Dogs and Coney's again

333272[/snapback]

I remember when we moved from Buffalo to Syracuse when I was a kid, and we went to Heid's for the first time. They didn't flame grill the dogs, and the only condiment they had was mustard. Whenever we go back to Buffalo for a couple of days we try to have a lunch at Teds. Plus they have Loganberry.

Johnny's lunch in Jamestown....3 with everything please...theirs a reason they call them sliders!!

Dogs at my kids baseball games....(they use Salhens!!)

333506[/snapback]

Yes, Jonny's lunch...extra onions please!

I'm from Jamestown too.

Forgot Charlies, not sure if there are any in wny, but they were out in the albany area. I think they were the best. The one knock against teds is that they are not unique, they use sombody else's dogs, and just cook em on a wood grill. Unimpressive to me! Theres a place called maui dogs here in wildwood, NJ iwhich is good too. the dogs are homemade, and fat free. They tast excellent, and you get them in a dog bowl!

Forgot Charlies, not sure if there are any in wny, but they were out in the albany area.  I think they were the best.  The one knock against teds is that they are not unique, they use sombody else's dogs, and just cook em on a wood grill.  Unimpressive to me!  Theres a place called maui dogs here in wildwood, NJ iwhich is good too.  the dogs are homemade, and fat free.  They tast excellent, and you get them in a dog bowl!

333559[/snapback]

Fat-free hot dogs served in a dog bowl??? Are the waitresses dykes clad in black leather, wielding whips? :P

Fat-free hot dogs served in a dog bowl??? Are the waitresses dykes clad in black leather, wielding whips? :P

333568[/snapback]

Haha... nah, just the teme of the dog pound, they're really good. Flavor wise they taste exactly the same as a regular good dog. They just have all these different topping etc, and homemade french fries cooked in peanut oil... good stuff. My favorite dog is the horsey dog, its got mustard and horseradish on it.

Gotta be my backyard, grilling Salhens Hot dogs...

Reid's in Lockport is a amazing place to get 1 hot dog, 1 cheesburger, 1 order of fries and 1 chocolate milkshake!

333421[/snapback]

Reid's in Lockport is, BY FAR, the best place to go for your fast food. Their burgers and hot dogs are fantastic, especially with their special "Reid's Sauce." I'm telling you, just go to the window and ask for:

1 Double Cheeseburg Sauce

1 Red Hot Sauce

1 Fry Sauce

and a Chocolate Shake and you will never want to eat anywhere else when it comes to this food. I guarantee it!!!

The Texas Hot in Wellsville- 3 hots, an order of fries with gravy and a Cream Ale "Pounder" to make sure none of it hangs out in your system long enough to do permanent damage. MMMmmmmmm.......................

I remember when we moved from Buffalo to Syracuse when I was a kid, and we went to Heid's for the first time.  They didn't flame grill the dogs, and the only condiment they had was mustard.  Whenever we go back to Buffalo for a couple of days we try to have a lunch at Teds.  Plus they have Loganberry.

333539[/snapback]

Same here. Moved from Buffalo to Syracuse in the late 1960's. My parents bought a house in Liverpool so all we ever heard about was Heid's. I couldn't believe it when we first had one of their dogs. Totally lame yet people were lined up out the door. Whenever we are back in Buffalo there are two mandatory stops: Bocce's Pizza and Teds. I wish I knew where I could buy some of the wood charcoal they use at Teds (its called Humphry's or Humphries or something like that). Anybody here know Bocce's sauce recipe? It is pretty unique, kind of tart.

The charcoal flavor open flame makes Ted's the best

333400[/snapback]

I can't speak from any knowledge of any particular NYS enviromental laws- there are US EPA requirements that the States must meet -but I suspect the charcoal-using outfits have been grandfathered. Using an open charcoal-fed device by a new business, being a so-called "point source", probabably would require a permit from the State, and implementation of abatement technology.

But of course, we must protect the children... :P