Red Flag Laws To Confiscate Guns Are A Good Start

Really like this law. You act violent, you turn over your guns 

https://www.pumphreylawfirm.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-floridas-red-flag-law/

In response to the 2018 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, the state enacted a “red flag” law that allowed judges to order potentially dangerous individuals to surrender their firearms.

30 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

https://www.pumphreylawfirm.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-floridas-red-flag-law/

So if this is already constitutional, why does Florida have it but not every blue state? Florida is not anti gun by any stretch but we try and fix problems rather whine.

• Dislike 1

Just now, Buffalo Timmy said:

So if this is already constitutional, why does Florida have it but not every blue state? Florida is not anti gun by any stretch but we try and fix problems rather whine.

So you like it? 

16 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Red flag laws are a relatively new development, so only ~9 states currently have them. I would expect we see more states enact them in the coming years.

Also, not all red flag laws are equal. New York has one but it clearly failed to prevent the Buffalo shooting despite the gunman having previously been reported for threatening violence. When enacting a red flag law, states should look to see what has and has not worked with similar laws in other states to make their laws better.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Any individual responsible for identifying a "threat" - someone legit making threats to schools, other people, etc, and they determine that person needs help with mental health - that the threat was valid.....

$5,000 reward.  

Create a criteria.  That the person relating info to whoever about a threat and it is "determined threat to themselves or others - reward the person that alerted proper channels.  

51 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Any individual responsible for identifying a "threat" - someone legit making threats to schools, other people, etc, and they determine that person needs help with mental health - that the threat was valid.....

$5,000 reward.  

Create a criteria.  That the person relating info to whoever about a threat and it is "determined threat to themselves or others - reward the person that alerted proper channels.  

Ya, why not. Might save lives 

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

So you like it? 

I stated in a different thread that I am thankful for it because one of my students had expressed openly online that they want to shoot my school up, but she ended up being arrested and removed. I stated then that I am surprised that all states don't have something similar. Both sides probably win voters by being obstinate.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I stated in a different thread that I am thankful for it because one of my students had expressed openly online that they want to shoot my school up, but she ended up being arrested and removed. I stated then that I am surprised that all states don't have something similar. Both sides probably win voters by being obstinate.

Yikes! Glad that was averted 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

Red flag laws are a relatively new development, so only ~9 states currently have them. I would expect we see more states enact them in the coming years.

Also, not all red flag laws are equal. New York has one but it clearly failed to prevent the Buffalo shooting despite the gunman having previously been reported for threatening violence. When enacting a red flag law, states should look to see what has and has not worked with similar laws in other states to make their laws better.

Right.  So a pro 2A gun enthusiast looks at how a law that should have prevented this tragedy was completely disregarded and mass murder ensued.   They then consider that they, as good and decent citizens, never shot anyone, never threatened anyone, are of no threat to anyone, and simply want to be left alone.  Thereafter, politicians they view as not working in their best interest, who designed the law that was ignored that might have prevented the tragedy, come around and propose new, perhaps more restrictive laws to be followed, likely soon to be ignored again.   All the while, the pro 2A gun enthusiast is painted as the crazy in this scenario by people who hold different values and want to blame these tragedies on them. 

I don't own guns, and I'm for sensible gun regulation, but it's completely understandable why these folks feel this way. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

We know that the Uvalde scumbag should not have been allowed to buy a gun since he was living at his grandfathers address. The checks we currently have should be enough to stop many of these shootings if the paperwork is handled properly. Add on a red flag law and we wipe out the vast majority of these people's ability to get guns.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

We know that the Uvalde scumbag should not have been allowed to buy a gun since he was living at his grandfathers address. The checks we currently have should be enough to stop many of these shootings if the paperwork is handled properly. Add on a red flag law and we wipe out the vast majority of these people's ability to get guns.

Biden is calling for it right now. 

26 minutes ago, 716er said:

Biden is calling for it right now. 

Yeah, if that is what he requested and let it be he would get it within minutes. But you know that your statement is 5% of what he says and the rest is political hack stuff 

28 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Yeah, if that is what he requested and let it be he would get it within minutes. But you know that your statement is 5% of what he says and the rest is political hack stuff 

Simple. Allow debate and pass that 5%. 

It's a start

On 6/2/2022 at 10:54 AM, Tiberius said:

Why do you need a judge to run your policing. The judges already have too much authority. If the cops say you are dangerous, just do it. 

Pretty soon the flippin Supreme Court will be making all the decisions after all the appeals.

• Disagree 1

51 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Why do you need a judge to run your policing. The judges already have too much authority. If the cops say you are dangerous, just do it. 

Pretty soon the flippin Supreme Court will be making all the decisions after all the appeals.

You trust police to make that decision along with everything else they have to do? Judges only need to know what the law says and how to enforce it, cops must do that and also deal with the common idiots of our country. Separating those powers is good 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You trust police to make that decision along with everything else they have to do? Judges only need to know what the law says and how to enforce it, cops must do that and also deal with the common idiots of our country. Separating those powers is good 

Bingo. If you are going to deprive someone of their rights, there needs to be due process. That involves the judicial system, not just the cops. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Understand, but the inference was that a judge has to approve the gun removal before it us done. I think way too much time passes. It is not an eviction from an apartment, it is life and death. 🙂