Which is stronger, Josh Allen's arm or Matt Araiza's leg ?

HOUSE

20 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I am not sure Josh can throw 80 yards through the air either, I am guessing 70

I believe Josh said he could throw 80 yards when asked by Pat McAfee a few years ago.

EDIT: Pat asks Josh around the 3:25 mark.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

8 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

You bring up an interesting point. I think McD has gotten more aggressive with experience and because he can continue to trust Josh Allen more because of his great play.

That said, with such a great leg in Araiza, it makes you wonder if there’ll be times where he’ll make decisions knowing he has a punter that can change the field position of a game with one kick.

Obviously, he has a QB that can change the trajectory of a game in one play. I’m not even saying it’s wrong if he goes with the leg over the arm every once in a while but it makes you wonder what he’ll do knowing that he has such a fantastic punter at his disposal.

I agree.  McD has gotten much better but there are times like the New England snow game that he still doesn't trust Allen's arm.

But there are many times where he should be conservative too. If you have the great QB, you don't need to be reckless and give the other team easy yards or extra opportunities.

Keep making smart decisions, learn from your mistakes, hope the pass rush will be better, run a more balanced offense. Truly hope Josh has 1/3rd as many rush yards this year.  It will be a sign the offense is much better.

21 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Why are punters and kickers valued so little in the draft I just don’t understand it 

I think it is this.  No one keeps a developmental kicker on their roster.  Some have been on practice squads since they were expanded but are, of course, subject to claims.  So, the kickers that are drafted have to be good enough in their rookie training camp to win the job.  Many bounce around year to year while maturing physically and professionally before they claim a job.  NFL teams have little patience for rookie kickers costing them wins while waiting for them to refine NFL level skills.  Thus, training camp competitions between incumbents and FAs with some NFL experience are often the  preferred method.  This is probably more true for PK than for punters.

Gary Anderson and Dustin Hopkins are classic Bills examples of this.

• Disagree 1

22 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Holding for a FG only seems to have become an issue in the aftermath of Bojórquez. I think Araiza’s ability to catch and get the ball down properly is being entirely overblown.

EDIT: And Cory wasn’t cut. The Bills wanted him back but he and his agent had a higher price in mind than what the team was offering. Beane then came out with the comment of re-signing players who wanted to be here.

You're right, he wasn't cut, he just wouldn't settle for what the Bills were offering.

2 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I think it is this.  No one keeps a developmental kicker on their roster.  Some have been on practice squads since they were expanded but are, of course, subject to claims.  So, the kickers that are drafted have to be good enough in their rookie training camp to win the job.  Many bounce around year to year while maturing physically and professionally before they claim a job.  NFL teams have little patience for rookie kickers costing them wins while waiting for them to refine NFL level skills.  Thus, training camp competitions between incumbents and FAs with some NFL experience are often the  preferred method.  This is probably more true for PK than for punters.

Gary Anderson and Dustin Hopkins are classic Bills examples of this.

What happened with Gary Anderson is really bad.  He went to Syracuse University and was drafted by the Bills.  He apparently had had enough of Upstate New York, or for some other reason, he chose to miss every kick he attempted in training camp.  He clearly could kick but just refused to play for the Bills.  So they cut him rather than go into the season with a PK who would cost them games, and he went on to a HOF career.  This was before the great Bills teams came together -- if it had been Anderson and not Scott Norwood trying that FG, who knows whether the Bills win their first SB against the Giants.  

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's an interesting topic.  If Araiza struggles pinning a team inside the 20 then my guess is it'll make them more likely to go for it say 4th and 7 from the opposing teams 44.  On the other hand, 4th and 1 from our own 37 he may send Arazia out there to blast it when he'd go for it if Haack was still our punter.  Who knows.

Araiza's struggles to drop the ball inside the 20 have, I think, more to do with inexperience and lack of coaching in that area than some innate thing he can't correct.  He's going to get a lot of coaching between now and the start of the season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.