What is Left Wing/Right Wing?

On 3/20/2022 at 7:20 AM, JaCrispy said:

A simple google search had this:

Generally, the left-wing is characterized by an emphasis on "ideas such as freedom, equality, fraternity, rights, progress, reform and internationalism" while the right-wing is characterized by an emphasis on "notions such as authority, hierarchy, order, duty, tradition, reaction and nationalism".

At first glance I found it odd that it said “freedom” is associated with the Left wing types of people...Because I just always associated that side with wanting big government control, and mocking Right Wingers who cry freedom all the time...so that confused me a bit...

Second, I found it odd when it said Left Wing supports rights, because you see a lot of see a lot of support of censorship, and shutting down of free speech rights coming from the Left...granted, censorship has also come from the Right at various stages of history as well...so this was a bit confounding...

I like freedom, but understand you have to have some authority and order so there isn’t chaos...The Left and Right will forever bicker over what is the right amount...Typically people who are confident in themselves, self assured, and believe that Man is more good than bad, want more freedom...Those who are less confident, and more fearful of the world and human nature, tend to be the ones willing to surrender their individual freedoms for more government control...This last part isn’t necessarily a fact, just the way I see it...👍

The word ‘equality’ doesn’t really have any meaning to me, because it is such a vague term, that is thrown around all the time, and can mean anything and nothing at the same time...It just seems to be one of those words that sounds good to say, while nobody seems to know what it’s actually referring to...

Rights are God given (according to the Constitution) so I don’t understand how the Right Wing can be nationalists but not be for rights, if it’s in your nation’s founding document...

Hierarchy is a biological manifestation...So it certainly has its place...But not to the point where people at the top of a particular hierarchy should be able assert tyrannical power over others...

Tradition is important, and can also be very useful...But not to the point where it keeps society from progressing, and stuck in place...

Nationalism can be good (so long as it’s done in moderation) because it allows for a place for people of shared values...Like a small town is a microcosm of a larger county or state, so, too, is a nation for the whole world...And as technology continues to bring the world closer together, and cultures continue to evolve, you can envision a cohesive international global community (Obviously with the caveat that the end result could go any number of ways)...😉

Another point that was made is that the Right is reactionary...This would tend to make sense, because as the Left pushes for change, the Right reacts to the change...Sometimes the Right is against the change and pushes back...Other times the changes might be an obvious need...

But in conclusion, based on this google search, I would say that I agree with some of the Left wing values and some of the Right wing values...So, I guess I would be considered a moderate or in the center of the political spectrum...

I have become weary of definitions these days. Not saying this is right or wrong; just so many times lately definitions change while goal posts move. Too many times the posts ate too right or left to meet in the middle and shake hands.

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry, media, the great reset is real

By Stephen L. Miller

ap23016400962101.jpg

When conservatives pushed back last week on a Democratic plan to ban gas stoves , the Left and its media allies jumped into action. We were told that no one is banning gas stoves and also that said stoves should be banned . Oh, and that this is just another conspiracy theory cooked up by conservatives for their culture war.

Now let's fly over to Davos, Switzerland , for the World Economic Forum.

Media outlets are now labeling the forum's "Great Reset" ideas for post-pandemic growth as a bizarre conspiracy cooked up by online trolls. One problem? It's actually very real. The Great Reset has been a focal issue for the WEF and its global allies for years now. Still, the media are attempting to neutralize any criticism of the WEF or its ideas and tactics — or its leader, Klaus Schwab, a man who looks like he should be running around an '80s action movie screaming about "Diplomatic Immunity!"

The media are labeling several ideas born out of the WEF as online conspiracies — ideas such as replacing cattle meat with insects and artificial proteins, for example.

A popularized slogan of "Own Nothing. Be Happy" has become an online meme and labeled a conspiracy theory against the WEF. However, it was posted on the WEF website by Ida Auken, a member of the Danish Folketing. The post has since been removed , which has enabled media to claim that it started in internet forums instead.

Or take the Associated Press, which had the headline: "As elites arrive in Davos, conspiracy theories thrive online." It continued, "Now, in increasingly mainstream corners of the internet and on conservative talk shows, 'The Great Reset' has become shorthand for what skeptics say is a reorganization of society, using global uncertainty as a guise to take away rights. Believers argue that measures including pandemic lockdowns and vaccine mandates are tools to consolidate power and undercut individual sovereignty."

Except, that's a pretty accurate description of Schwab and the WEF's goals. Don't take my word for it — take Schwab's. In the description of his aptly titled COVID-19:

The Great Reset, we're told:

"COVID-19: The Great Reset is a guide for anyone who wants to understand how COVID-19 disrupted our social and economic systems, and what changes will be needed to create a more inclusive, resilient and sustainable world going forward. ... This is the purpose of this book: to shake up and to show the deficiencies which were manifest in our global system, even before COVID broke out."

Oh, and last year, the WEF website pushed for the elimination of gas stoves. Top line: COVID-19: The Great Reset is a model to transform world economies in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

We should debate publicly the merits or otherwise of the Great Reset and the World Economic Forum. As usual, however, our media aren’t interested in that debate. They are interested in compliance. In turn, any resistance to compliance will be treated as a form of psychological gaslighting.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/restoring-america/fairness-justice/sorry-media-the-great-reset-is-real

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2022 at 5:26 AM, JaCrispy said:

So what, really, is the difference between Left Wing/Right Wing?

I'm not a sociologist, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn once.  The seeming inconsistencies mentioned in the original post (and throughout the thread) are because left & right are not static positions, they are relative to the current social structure (which varies from place to place and over time and in context).

Right Wing = Conservative = Preserving or reverting the stability of the current/traditional social structure.

Left Wing = Liberal = Changing the current/traditional social structure in an attempt for social progress.

So, it could be argued (for illustration sake):

Stalin/Lennon's drive to establish communism over czarist Russia = Left Wing

Putin's drive to re-establish Soviet Era communism = Right Wing

Neither are inherently good or bad - it only depends on the "current conditions" and your perspective (does the current structure benefit you or not).  Neither has title to the moral high ground and neither is immune to it's share of idiots (say, Trump and AOC in my opinion). The real danger we find ourselves in is that both sides seem to be so entrenched in their tribal positions that:

- conservatives won't embrace wise changes

- liberals won't embrace wise establishments.

Just for grins, take a look at The Righteous Mind by Haidt.  It's a good read if you don't want to hate the other camp.

• Like (+1) 1