How much did you pay for gas and groceries today?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Hey, you guys are finally catching on to these bs stories.

I guess it depends how much wine you drink ....

Meanwhile, for all the "I spent $25 for lunch at a fast food joint" people:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mcdonalds-five-dollar-meal-fast-food-prices/

I got excited for nothing. Thought for sure you would tell us what you paid for gas TODAY. It’s been months. What are you waiting for?

Good article! 

McDonald's plans to launch a $5 meal promo in an effort to lure back customers scared away by recent price hikes to its menu.

The limited-time offer is slated to begin June 25 and will last about a month

Not BS - 3.79 for small fries at McD an hour ago. I can manage the financial hit but that’s a little steep for a small. I imagine you would have cut them in half and fed a carful of three. 

Edited by JDHillFan

5 hours ago, AlBUNDY4TDS said:

Interesting, never thought there would be a market for typewriters.

Taylor Swift had one in her latest album music videos, demand is good lol

1 hour ago, JDHillFan said:

I got excited for nothing. Thought for sure you would tell us what you paid for gas TODAY. It’s been months. What are you waiting for?

Good article! 

McDonald's plans to launch a $5 meal promo in an effort to lure back customers scared away by recent price hikes to its menu.

The limited-time offer is slated to begin June 25 and will last about a month

Not BS - 3.79 for small fries at McD an hour ago. I can manage the financial hit but that’s a little steep for a small. I imagine you would have cut them in half and fed a carful of three. 

Bad food (fast food) is cheap. Six buck, 20 nuggets last month. 5 bucks, McD's meal later this month. Taco Bell "build your own cravings" box (up to 1,760 calories!), $5.99. This is why we have a child obesity problem.

Good food (fresh/unprocessed veggies, etc) is cheap.

Good restaurant (typically not chain) food is expensive.

Budget accordingly.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Bad food (fast food) is cheap. Six buck, 20 nuggets last month. 5 bucks, McD's meal later this month. Taco Bell "build your own cravings" box (up to 1,760 calories!), $5.99. This is why we have a child obesity problem.

Good food (fresh/unprocessed veggies, etc) is cheap.

Good restaurant (typically not chain) food is expensive.

Budget accordingly.

What about the effing gas, g*d dammit????

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

https://www.wsj.com/business/energy-oil/gas-prices-memorial-day-weekend-2df1feab?mod=hp_lista_pos1

Preholiday costs are about 5% below their inflation-adjusted average since 2000

Adjusted for inflation, gas prices this May are almost exactly the same as they were in May 2018.

Adjusted for inflation?

Are you using inflation over the past two years, which was unusually higher in the past ten?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I HAD BEEN ASSURED THAT INFLATION WAS ILLUSORY, TRANSITORY, A HIGH-CLASS PROBLEM, AND BASICALLY OVER ALREADY: 

Memorial Day cookouts are hit by sticker shock as inflation makes family holiday more expensive than ever.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13461843/memorial-day-weekend-cookouts-expensive-inflation-holiday.html

beating Frankish to the punch

• Haha (+1) 3

I was stupid. I waited till the last minute to get my supplies. 6 people.

Wound up going to Whole Foods ($$$). Hot dogs, you know, all natural and all that. $7.99. Rolls 3.99. (skipped the more expensive pretzel kind, best reserved for brats). Found an big old can of baked beans in the cupboard. If I bought it now probably $2.99.  6 ears of corn. Good USA (south Texas) sweet corn on special for .50 each. So $3.00. Already had the condiments. Mini watermelon $4.99 (bad deal, but no fridge room).

$23.00 or so. 6 people, so less than 4 bucks apiece, not counting booze (already had enough on hand)

Maybe you guys eat filet mignon for holiday cookouts?

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I was stupid. I waited till the last minute to get my supplies. 6 people.

Wound up going to Whole Foods ($$$). Hot dogs, you know, all natural and all that. $7.99. Rolls 3.99. (skipped the more expensive pretzel kind, best reserved for brats). Found an big old can of baked beans in the cupboard. If I bought it now probably $2.99.  6 ears of corn. Good USA (south Texas) sweet corn on special for .50 each. So $3.00. Already had the condiments. Mini watermelon $4.99 (bad deal, but no fridge room).

$23.00 or so. 6 people, so less than 4 bucks apiece, not counting booze (already had enough on hand)

Maybe you guys eat filet mignon for holiday cookouts?

I bet you served the fake ketchup too. 

What you described is known as the Biden Austerity Festival, formerly known as the Carter Grimness Gala.

Hopefully a smart Hollywood type will appear out of nowhere and save us with 1980's style splendor.  You know, a guy or gal who pretends to be someone else can swoop in and trickle down some wagu & all you can eat shrimp.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

I bet you served the fake ketchup too. 

What you described is known as the Biden Austerity Festival, formerly known as the Carter Grimness Gala.

Hopefully a smart Hollywood type will appear out of nowhere and save us with 1980's style splendor.  You know, a guy or gal who pretends to be someone else can swoop in and trickle down some wagu & all you can eat shrimp.

What's "austere?"

It's a goddam cookout.

it's what I had as a kid in Buffalo. It's tradition. It's hot dogs, corn on the cob, watermelon, checkered tablecloth, yellow jackets circling the Cokes, cheap beer for the grownups, real Heinz ketchup (hint: by the Costco 4-pack every spring: 2 big ketchups, one big mustard, one big relish; I also buy the Ted's hot sauce but that's just me) you know, the American way. The Buffalo-American way. 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

“Spectacular“

-me

“That’s not funny“

-every board lefty. Heck, every lefty.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

What's "austere?"

It's a goddam cookout.

it's what I had as a kid in Buffalo. It's tradition. It's hot dogs, corn on the cob, watermelon, checkered tablecloth, yellow jackets circling the Cokes, cheap beer for the grownups, real Heinz ketchup (hint: by the Costco 4-pack every spring: 2 big ketchups, one big mustard, one big relish; I also buy the Ted's hot sauce but that's just me) you know, the American way. The Buffalo-American way. 

Weber's hot mustard is what real WNYers eat.  Puts hair on yer chest.

• Like (+1) 1