PGA problems

stuvian

3 hours ago, stuvian said:

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/33312893/phil-mickelson-deal-saudis-pressure-pga-tour

I don't begin to understand the issues with the PGA. I get that Mickelson is trying to start a competing league but I don't understand what he is trying to change in the PGA.

Can anyone explain this to a mildly interested golf fan?

From what I can figure, its all about the usual ....  $$$$$

• Agree 1

I haven't done a ton of research, but Phil's argument is that the PGA retains too much of the money.  The PGA tour has little competition and due to this players have little leverage to negotiate more money.  

Whether this is true or not, is inconclusive.  Phil's approach to publically bashing the tour is less than ideal.  

Overall, this topic of creating a "super league" comes up every few months over the last few years.  I don't see it going anywhere.  

14 hours ago, IslandBillsFan said:

I haven't done a ton of research, but Phil's argument is that the PGA retains too much of the money.  The PGA tour has little competition and due to this players have little leverage to negotiate more money.  

Whether this is true or not, is inconclusive.  Phil's approach to publically bashing the tour is less than ideal.  

Overall, this topic of creating a "super league" comes up every few months over the last few years.  I don't see it going anywhere.  

Not to mention Phil acknowledging he doesn't care enough about human rights to pass on a big payday. At least he's honest.

On 2/21/2022 at 8:29 AM, IslandBillsFan said:

The tour doesn't have owners like the NFl and other leagues. The players get all the money.  The courses are required to donate any profits from the tournaments to charity so the PGA can retain the non profit status.  I'm not sure what Phil's big issue is but he always has some axe to grind.  His nickname in the locker room is Figjam...***** i'm good just ask me. 

On 2/21/2022 at 10:49 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Not to mention Phil acknowledging he doesn't care enough about human rights to pass on a big payday. At least he's honest.

Lets be honest here these leagues don't give a ***** about human rights. The NBA has ignored what goes on in China, the NFL is trying to get into China and has marketed itself there aggressively as has MLB and even the NHL has tried to get in there.  So the hate on Phil is a little overblown in regards to the Saudi league. 

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

The tour doesn't have owners like the NFl and other leagues. The players get all the money.  The courses are required to donate any profits from the tournaments to charity so the PGA can retain the non profit status.  I'm not sure what Phil's big issue is but he always has some axe to grind.  His nickname in the locker room is Figjam...***** i'm good just ask me. 

Lets be honest here these leagues don't give a ***** about human rights. The NBA has ignored what goes on in China, the NFL is trying to get into China and has marketed itself there aggressively as has MLB and even the NHL has tried to get in there.  So the hate on Phil is a little overblown in regards to the Saudi league. 

That is true but that's what happens when you put yourself out there. The NFL and NBA are just as complicit but when it's one guy saying it, you're an easier target.

On 2/21/2022 at 8:29 AM, IslandBillsFan said:

Phil, like Aaron Rodgers, always the smartest guy in the room, tried to put pressure on the PGA Tour by working with the Saudis and stating he was going to bring some PGA stars with him and start a new world league.

This of course backfired when Phil's ruse was revealed last week.  He's now going "to take some time away" and reassess his situation.

I really like Phil but this escapade leaves a rank odor...he's 51 now, so we may have seen the last of him, save the majors.  It's really too bad.

As others have said previously

• Phil was going to make mega-$ with this league as a primary name / supporter
  • "Older" players like I Poulter and L Westwood would have made big $ because the league was set up as a 40 man / no cut.  Thus, everyone gets paid.
  • Bryson DeC and Dustin Johnson had some verbal agreement to join
  • Sponsors were backing away from Bryson and Dustin because of Saudi human rights
  • Then BDC and DJ backed off
  • The whole thing is now in the dimpster dumpster

Phil's contention about the PGA holding way too much power over players "rights" does have some merit.  Does his play have some traction now?  We'll see.  However, Phil has pooped in his bed (PGA) now he has to smell it and sleep in it.

Edited by BuffaloBud
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.