Ever had something happen that you would consider, "a near death experience"?

Patrick Duffy

I have had 3 total that I will always remember, 2 being years and years ago, however I'm just going to share the most recent one which was today....

Was at stop light and was 1 car in front of my in my lane. Well, as light turns green and start to move one of those big dually work truck types was hauling ass running red light and T-bones the lone car that was in front of me by only 2 car lengths or so. I mean straight up wiping the car off the map, was like it vanished. Was so incredibly loud and so bad I was in shock. Have witnessed and came across many wrecks in my day, but this was above and beyond the worst, scariest, and up close and personal I have ever seen.

Was like the car just disintegrated and if the person or person(s) somehow made it through that I would be utterly amazed. I'm not one of those that's super religious all the time, but I most certainly have been saying some prayers for the ones in that car today and thanking God it wasn't a mere second or 2 later because that's all it would have took for me to be in that spot the car was when taking that hit.

Anyway, my nerves are still kinda all over the place and if anyone has their own story please share if you'd like.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

What did you do?  Just drive away?

Did you pull over and see what was up?

Myself and others got out and wanted to check but the area and intersection is one of those you can't really walk due to traffic. Also the truck took the car a rather good ways down the highway so was kinda hard getting to area they finally stopped. But no, I didn't "just drive away" for ***** sake...Many of us gave statements and they got my dash cam footage

Was about the only thing I could do really.....

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

I was expecting something else in terms on NDE, but that’s another issue. Google it if you’re not familiar, pretty interesting stuff. 

I was in no danger, and I didn’t see it happen, but I heard a VERY NASTY accident a few months ago. I was putting air in a tire and heard what sounded like an explosion. I jumped up and looked around but didn’t see anything. It was a sickening sound! As I drove away I realize on the other side of the convenience store a lady had apparently pulled out directly in front of someone who was probably doing at least 50 mph. Her driver door was gone and she was still in the drivers seat, unable to move. 

Because of my delay in realizing what happened others had gotten there first trying to help. I felt queasy as I drove away. It was horrific!  Just hearing it and seeing the aftermath shook me up!

Years ago in Florida I was driving my son down I-75 to a tennis tournament. Probably doing about 75 mph I go over and overpass with limited visibility  ahead to find traffic ahead had come to a stop. I had to break HARD to avoid an accident. My eyes immediately went to the rear view mirror and to my HORROR I see a GIANT red truck bearing down on us. It was HUGE, like it was carrying the biggest dumpster you’ve ever seen. I don’t think he missed us by more than a foot as he swerved into the median. I still remember how loud it was going off the road as it almost tipped over.  I tried to play it cool with my son, but we both almost died that day. 

Edited by Augie

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was expecting something else in terms on NDE, but that’s another issue. Google it, pretty interesting. 

I was in no danger, and I didn’t see it happen, but I heard a VERY NASTY accident a few months ago. I was putting air in a tire and heard what sounded like an explosion. I jumped up and looked around but didn’t see anything. It was a sickening sound! As I drove away I realize on the other side of the convenience store a lady had apparently pulled out directly in front of someone who was probably doing at least 50 mph. Her driver door was gone and she was still in the drivers seat, unable to move. 

Because of my delay in realizing what happened others had gotten there first trying to help. I felt queasy as I drove away. It was horrific!  Just hearing it and seeing the aftermath shook me up!

Years ago in Florida I was driving my son down I-75 to a tennis tournament. Probably doing about 75 mph I go over and overpass with limited visibility  ahead to find traffic ahead had come to a stop. I had to break HARD to avoid an accident. My eyes immediately went to the rear view mirror and to my HORROR I see a giant red truck bearing down on us. It was HUGE, like it was carrying the biggest dumpster you’re ever seen. I don’t think he missed us by more than a foot as he swerved into the median. I still remember how loud it was going off the road as it almost tipped over.  I tried to play it cool with my son, but we both almost died that day. 

Yeah man exactly. And being right in front of me was that much louder. I don't know if that person lived through that or not because all of us that was at intersection couldn't get all the way down to spot that the truck and what was left of the car finally came to a rest. 

But many people that were that far down had also immediately gotten out, so if anything could have been done there were many ppl there to assist. To my surprise it didn't take long at all for emergency personal to arrive. At least it didn't seem like it, was so much going on it seemed quick anyway

53 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I have had 3 total that I will always remember, 2 being years and years ago, however I'm just going to share the most recent one which was today....

Was at stop light and was 1 car in front of my in my lane. Well, as light turns green and start to move one of those big dually work truck types was hauling ass running red light and T-bones the lone car that was in front of me by only 2 car lengths or so. I mean straight up wiping the car off the map, was like it vanished. Was so incredibly loud and so bad I was in shock. Have witnessed and came across many wrecks in my day, but this was above and beyond the worst, scariest, and up close and personal I have ever seen.

Was like the car just disintegrated and if the person or person(s) somehow made it through that I would be utterly amazed. I'm not one of those that's super religious all the time, but I most certainly have been saying some prayers for the ones in that car today and thanking God it wasn't a mere second or 2 later because that's all it would have took for me to be in that spot the car was when taking that hit.

Anyway, my nerves are still kinda all over the place and if anyone has their own story please share if you'd like.

hang in there, man— that sounds traumatizing. 

On 2/7/2022 at 12:49 PM, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Myself and others got out and wanted to check but the area and intersection is one of those you can't really walk due to traffic. Also the truck took the car a rather good ways down the highway so was kinda hard getting to area they finally stopped. But no, I didn't "just drive away" for ***** sake...Many of us gave statements and they got my dash cam footage

Was about the only thing I could do really.....

Your story made it sound like you didn't know the outcome of the crash, which implies you didn't stick around.

If you were there with others and giving statements to police etc., didn't anyone comment on the condition of the driver in the hit car?  

I guess not! 

Anyway, stay alert out there and be glad it wasn't you!

I had a woman turn left in front of me about a year ago...totally insane move like she was trying to commit suicide.  We hit head on @ 45 MPH.  Totalled both cars and broke my left foot in 3 places...

Watch out!  People are idiots.

My wife and I were coming home from a concert at CMAC.  We were both completely sober. I was driving and on some backroads to avoid traffic heading for the Thruway. Came to a blinking yellow light at the crest of a hill and I began to make a left turn. A car came

flying up over the crest of the hill and I hesitated for a moment, unsure whether to stop or go but neither seemed like it would avoid a crash. I floored it and made the turn. It was a 2010 Prius, so flooring it doesn’t really do much. 

We made it though the intersection and I immediately pulled over. I had the sensation of being….transported is the only way I can describe it. I felt like we had been in the crash but somehow time got turned back. We sat in silence for a few moments and I asked my wife if she was ok. I told her the weird sensation I had and how it felt we had actually crashed. She said she felt the same way and couldn’t explain what happened. 

I’ll never forget that feeling or understand how we didn’t get crushed. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/7/2022 at 12:36 PM, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

You should consider another line of life.

Not necessarily "near death", but certainly "close to severe injuries":

February 2000, we were still living in Rochester. One Sunday afternoon, wife and I had been to Mendon Ponds Park for some sledding with our 11 months old son. Took the I-390 back to the city. Roads were slippery, traffic was pretty dense for a Sunday. At one point, about 300 feet ahead, a state trooper car that seemed to be parked in the emergency lane was suddenly accelerating into the traffic, activating lights and siren while barging into the right lane. Panic ensued, and most cars hit the brakes hard, which was not a good idea considering the road conditions. While cars were spinning to the left and to the right, I just steered my "yank tank" (a Pontiac Safari station wagon) straight ahead through the chaos, without getting hit. Newspaper reports the next day mentioned damaged cars, but no severe injuries or deaths.

I came very close to drowning while fishing at a dam down the street from my house.  Slipped on some ice and fell into the rapids directly underneath the waterfall.  Instead of pushing me out and away from the dam, the water kept pushing me down and into the wall.  After what seemed like 30-40 seconds the current finally pushed me downstream and I was able to climb up onto the shore.  It was early spring, so the water was also very, very cold. I was very lucky on that day.

On 2/9/2022 at 4:50 PM, WotAGuy said:

My wife and I were coming home from a concert at CMAC.  We were both completely sober. I was driving and on some backroads to avoid traffic heading for the Thruway. Came to a blinking yellow light at the crest of a hill and I began to make a left turn. A car came

flying up over the crest of the hill and I hesitated for a moment, unsure whether to stop or go but neither seemed like it would avoid a crash. I floored it and made the turn. It was a 2010 Prius, so flooring it doesn’t really do much. 

We made it though the intersection and I immediately pulled over. I had the sensation of being….transported is the only way I can describe it. I felt like we had been in the crash but somehow time got turned back. We sat in silence for a few moments and I asked my wife if she was ok. I told her the weird sensation I had and how it felt we had actually crashed. She said she felt the same way and couldn’t explain what happened. 

I’ll never forget that feeling or understand how we didn’t get crushed. 

While in high school St Joe’s had us read several books on near death experiences (NDE). It deals with people who were thought to be clinically dead, then returned with amazing stories of there experience while “gone”. Your type of experience is also reported. I’ve read many more since then, including fairly recently. These accounts are indeed fascinating, have been told for ages and cross all boundaries. It makes you think.

This is what I thought of when I read the thread title. Both interesting topics. While some may scoff at the NDE’s I first thought of, I find it interesting. What do we know? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.