Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer To Retire

Tiberius

5 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Yes they uphold laws and rights  (or not as the case may be) through their interpretation of rights and laws as written. They are the final arbiter of disputes of rights and laws.  So my point was the Supreme Court did not establish those rights to bear arms. Just by those words alone I feel she is not qualified for the position. 

I’m not sure that’s what she’s saying…although I have to admit I’m only going off of the quote that was posted. She’s absolutely correct that it will be up to the Court to interpret nuances of those constitutional rights when brought before them. It’s certainly not up to Congress or the President. 

13 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not sure that’s what she’s saying…although I have to admit I’m only going off of the quote that was posted. She’s absolutely correct that it will be up to the Court to interpret nuances of those constitutional rights when brought before them. It’s certainly not up to Congress or the President. 

Yeah I’m guilty of sound byte debate here. My only beef is with her use of the word “establish”.  If anyone needs to understand words have meaning is someone who will be relied upon to interpret words. 

7 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Yeah I’m guilty of sound byte debate here. My only beef is with her use of the word “establish”.  If anyone needs to understand words have meaning is someone who will be relied upon to interpret words. 

I agree with you the words thing but in an open hearing I’ll cut anyone some slack. It’s a lot of pressure. The right to bear arms is of course not a natural right. It’s a right created by the Founders to protect the people from those who seek to overturn the natural rights (life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness). Those same natural rights are at the center of the abortion debate. Nobody has the right to overturn the natural right to life. Nobody! 

• Like (+1) 1

‘CREDIBLY ACCUSED:’

The Left Takes the GOP’s Bait.

For simply protesting his innocence, Kavanaugh was besmirched as the “personification of white, male privilege.”

His anger over this career-ending allegation was reframed as the self-entitled rage reserved for “privileged white men who are furious about being finally held to account” or “trauma for white men unaccustomed to trauma.” The substance of the claim against him was for many immaterial. His torment was a karmic comeuppance due to those who share his accidents of birth.

This history lesson is necessary, in part, because the left is busily reminding the nation that they subordinated any universally agreed-upon understanding of justice to their pursuit of a political scalp. Republicans have only invoked the mistreatment of their nominees to establish a favorable contrast. Their strategy is to observe as much decorum as possible to showcase the impropriety of their opponents. Republicans are fortunate that progressives in political media seem happy to oblige.

https://www.commentary.org/noah-rothman/credibly-accused-the-left-takes-the-gops-bait/

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, aristocrat said:

So does that make her being easy on sentencing ok? 

Why don't you go do some research on how judges across America are sentencing on this very topic... including those appointed by Trump. You will not be happy with what you find out...

And of course, Cruz (and DR) left off the cases where she sentenced offenders based on guidelines.

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Never crossed my mind. Have you thought about posting on this board with something more worthy of an adult? This is NOT your personal port-a-potty wall. 

Still dealing with your demons, eh?  Take a break.

Why would you NEVER make that comment above to Bonnie? Big Ditz?  DR?

2 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Still dealing with your demons, eh?  Take a break.

Why would you NEVER make that comment above to Bonnie? Big Ditz?  DR?

Thanks…. I will definitely make it a point to. 
So does that mean you’ll take a break from turning every discussion into your personal toilet? Can you give it for Lent?